By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - "European Members", What do you think about the European Union?

kowenicki said:
McGran said:
kowenicki said:
McGran said:
kowenicki said:
maximrace said:
The EU itself is a very good thing, our lives would be much worse without it. But the EU is not the same as the EMU (euro). The euro hasn't been that good economically... But it makes life easier ( no currency exchange). And if you say your country needs to leave the EU ( mostly brits) that would be a stupid thing to do because such countries would get isolated in european trade.

give me an example of that and why in the name of sanity would any exporter want to isolate a potential market.  This is the propaganda Europeans fall for.   Pretty sure BMW want to sell their cars to as many people as possible for example.

No customs are levied on goods travelling within the EU and members of the EU impose a common external tariff on all goods entering the union.  So if we leave the EU everything we sell to the EU will be more expensive buy (result - reduced exports).  Your BMW would also be more expensive as the UK would apply a tariff on imports to encourage you to buy British.

If you've ever bought a valuable item from outside the EU you'll have seen this in action - a letter from the post office telling you that there is a VAT (and possible duty charge) to pay on your item.

58% of our exports and 53% of our imports are with the EU - we need to be inside.

I guess that's why nobody in Europe buys Japanese or US goods then. And why the Scandinavian nations are on their knees..... :-/

The USA economy is worth over $14 trillion. The UK - $2 trillion. 

Japan's economy is double the size of the UK's and they are discussing creating a free trade zone with China and South Korea rather than leaving one.

I'm not sure what your point about Scandinavian nations is since (Norway aside) they're all in the EU.

I ma all for trade alliances like a watered down EU, no problem with that at all. With regard to Scandinavia, I was referring to the Euro.  The Euro has brough no benefits whatsoever.  it has ruined weaker economies and created a false sense of wealth for individuals within those economies. 

On the VERY off chance the EU would isolate the UK anyway, they could get into a similiar trade alliance with the US easy.

Really though, the EU has shown that it's extremly open to letting nations join the "Europeon Economic Zone" without having to sign on all of the various provisions or take on the euro.

The only reason the EU might pull hardball on the UK is because it's the UK.

Around the Network

The EU was possible when times were good with richer countries shelling out money for poorer ones.

But the GFC caused many EU members economies to collapse (Greece, Portugal and Ireland). With one currency the Euro it was like all the countries economies were chained together and when some started sinking they took others down with them.

I'm all for EU countries standing together but its important to remember that their independent nations with different economies and people.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

It was an excellent idea, but executed in such a horrible way it's sinking us all except Germany, Netherlands, Luxembourg and the members that didn't enter the Euro. As RedInker pointed out, the bureaucracy is insane, the committees of burosaurs have far too much power despite not being elected by people like the Europarliament.
The Euro itself was a good idea, but it became a trap, it created real world inflation (despite the official one being low) and it has stiff and unreasonable rules that make things worse for states in difficulty. The Euro, to sum it up, has all over itself the signature of my bastard, incompetent, corrupt, thief fellow citizen Romano Prodi.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

It's shit

It would probably have worked better if mismanaged economies didn't cheat their way in.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

I hate it.

Kasz216 said:

You know what they would call the EU if it only had "EU quality states" that wouldn't of caused a big financial crisis?

Germany.

Seriously, practically everyone in the EU is having issues.  Even France is on the tipping point.

That's a huge chunk of BS. What about Sweden? Denmark? Finland? But that's about it I guess :P

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
DanneSandin said:
AlphaCielago said:
I want Sweden to leave EU, atleast we still have our currency.

Än så länge ja...

Stödet för kronan verkar i alla fall hålla i sig! Vad var det... kanske 85% eller något som ville behålla kronan? :P

OT: The European Union is a joke that makes countries less independent of their own laws and economies. It's essentially nothing but a bad idea being poorly executed.

Haha är det ändå så många som stöder euron?! Att dom inte lär sig :D

I'd say it's a good idea executed poorly...

I am so glad Norway said no to EU-membership.

leatherhat said:
I believe Switzerland is successful

But they're not in the EU, now are they?