By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - "European Members", What do you think about the European Union?

You know what they would call the EU if it only had "EU quality states" that wouldn't of caused a big financial crisis?

Germany.

Seriously, practically everyone in the EU is having issues.  Even France is on the tipping point.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

You know what they would call the EU if it only had "EU quality states" that wouldn't of caused a big financial crisis?

Germany.

Seriously, practically everyone in the EU is having issues.  Even France is on the tipping point.

Who is doing well right now, anyway? China's cooking the books on their real-estate bubble, Russia can't reignite investment for any money.

Israel, Taiwan, and South Korea? Who else is doing well now?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Kasz216 said:

Germany.

Who is doing well right now, anyway? China's cooking the books on their real-estate bubble, Russia can't reignite investment for any money.

Israel, Taiwan, and South Korea? Who else is doing well now?

Germany?

Well and Sweeden.

Austrlia and New Zealand are doing pretty good from what I can gather.

Funny how the only states remotely solvent in the EU don't use the Euro, sans Germany.

The EU shows how woeful government can be when it continues to increase in size. It should be an example for the US, but no one seems to follow.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Funny how the only states remotely solvent in the EU don't use the Euro, sans Germany.

The EU shows how woeful government can be when it continues to increase in size. It should be an example for the US, but no one seems to follow.

I suppose that depends on which way you want to look at it.

Germany is solvent because it's monetary policy has huge influences from Freiberg economics.

However... had the Europeon Union had been larger government wise... and been able to a force individual countries to balance there budgets... this problem would of been much less severe.

The Europeon Debt crisis could of been solved by more federalism (the above)

or less federalism (No Euro.)

The Euro as it is however essentially relies on countries government to NOT baloon... on what essentially would be a "State" level.

Around the Network

Someone remind me again, who apart from German exports, benefited by the EURO ?

Yeah, it was a huge mistake and it will soon collapse.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

Someone remind me again, who apart from German exports, benefited by the EURO ?

Yeah, it was a huge mistake and it will soon collapse.

Tourists 

I believe Switzerland is successful

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

kowenicki said:
spurgeonryan said:
RedInker said:
I wish for nothing more than for the UK to leave the EU.

why is that? Also why were you guys allowed to keep your currency?

Becuase we didnt fall for the nonsense spewed by french and german politicians and germany.  The single currency was about making german exports cheap for the rest of Europe... nothing more.

Never ever ever was a single currency going to work across multiple disperate markets.

ANYONE with an ounce of common sense saw that... Politicians are in politics for power and ego these days, not because they are good business people of sound economic commentators and predictors.  if they were good at that and didnt care for power then they would be in the private sector making millions.

Hey, it works ok in the US.

Big difference of course being that the US Federal government has more power over the economy and forces states to keep it's houses somewhat in order.

kowenicki said:
Kasz216 said:
kowenicki said:
spurgeonryan said:
RedInker said:
I wish for nothing more than for the UK to leave the EU.

why is that? Also why were you guys allowed to keep your currency?

Becuase we didnt fall for the nonsense spewed by french and german politicians and germany.  The single currency was about making german exports cheap for the rest of Europe... nothing more.

Never ever ever was a single currency going to work across multiple disperate markets.

ANYONE with an ounce of common sense saw that... Politicians are in politics for power and ego these days, not because they are good business people of sound economic commentators and predictors.  if they were good at that and didnt care for power then they would be in the private sector making millions.

Hey, it works ok in the US.

Big difference of course being that the US Federal government has more power over the economy and forces states to keep it's houses somewhat in order.

and that is the massive and important difference.... but wthin your answer lies the REAL reason for the single currency. 

Yeah, I know.

Probably will work too.