By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Is Rap music dead?

Tagged games:

Off all music genres with the exception of country music, (which is the epitome of horrid) rap has the highest proportion of crapness and the lowest proportion of actually good songs. You can't spell "crap" without "rap."

Around the Network

When I hear Americans talk about pop music; they talk about it like it is some sort of genre.

I would call pop music everything formatted for a popular audience; usually verse chorus verse in structure, with songs generally below 7 minutes (this includes everything from rap, to the vast majority of rock, to dance, to Metallica/Megadeth style metal, etc...) - although there are some pop songs that run 10-20 minutes, these are generally very rare nowadays - more common in the 70's.

Non-pop would be traditional folk songs, classical, and the sort of music that is made in a format fit for mass consumer consumption.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

man-bear-pig said:
badgenome said:
Nope. Die Antwoord, boy.

HOLY SHITFUCK!! That's what I said in my earlier post....I didnt bother reading other posts in this thread until now. You're the first fellow Die Antwoord fan I've ever met in real life or in the Internet!! :0

Haha. I'm not all that much into rap generally, but they really manage to tickle my taint. EVIL BOY FOR LIFE!

badgenome said:
man-bear-pig said:
badgenome said:
Nope. Die Antwoord, boy.

HOLY SHITFUCK!! That's what I said in my earlier post....I didnt bother reading other posts in this thread until now. You're the first fellow Die Antwoord fan I've ever met in real life or in the Internet!! :0

Haha. I'm not all that much into rap generally, but they really manage to tickle my taint. EVIL BOY FOR LIFE!

They used to be pretty normal until they discovered shock value worked. Yolanda is gross.

OT: I listen to stations that play no rape on purpose. The rap craze was better than the N'sync and Backdoor boys boyband craze before it, but I still think rap is way to materialistic for me to like much ever. And no, it is not dead.

Jumpin said:

When I hear Americans talk about pop music; they talk about it like it is some sort of genre.

When Germans post they always talk about  Americansand generalize bady all the time. Looking at you son.

Around the Network
chocoloco said:

They used to be pretty normal until they discovered shock value worked. Yolanda is gross.

OT: I listen to stations that play no rape on purpose.

You are so un-zef.

And LOOOOOOOOOL!

badgenome said:
chocoloco said:

OT: I listen to stations that play no rape on purpose.

You are so un-zef.

And LOOOOOOOOOL!

OMG, funniest equivaalent to a Frudian slip I ever did on this forum. My subconcious thoughts coming out.

Oh, screew that. This is Yolandi the nasty tweeker now.Me no like.

adriane23 said:
No, it's just on hiatus. Much like when real rock music had to take a back seat to hair metal (just pop music with screaming). It'll come back, but it'll never be what it was.

The amount of times I've had to explain to people that hair/glam metal is pop with screaming when they find out I'm into metal and ask me if I like Motley Crue or Poison.

OT:  Unfortutantely good rap is losing out on radio air time to make way for a very watered down version of rap, like Nicki Minaj or Lil' Wayne. Rap is not dead though, good stuff is still being produced. I think you just have to go off the beaten track a bit to find it.

I've just realised that I've come off as a massive music snob. I don't mean to be, I will usually listen to anything once.

highwaystar101 said:
adriane23 said:
No, it's just on hiatus. Much like when real rock music had to take a back seat to hair metal (just pop music with screaming). It'll come back, but it'll never be what it was.

The amount of times I've had to explain to people that hair/glam metal is pop with screaming when they find out I'm into metal and ask me if I like Motley Crue or Poison.

OT:  Unfortutantely good rap is losing out on radio air time to make way for a very watered down version of rap, like Nicki Minaj or Lil' Wayne. Rap is not dead though, good stuff is still being produced. I think you just have to go off the beaten track a bit to find it.

I've just realised that I've come off as a massive music snob. I don't mean to be, I will usually listen to anything once.

LOL someone once started naming Poison songs to me and I just stared at them until they got uncomfortable.

Well, if you really enjoy substance in the music you listen to, there's no way to not come off as a snob. And you know what? That's okay.

I am the Playstation Avenger.