By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Star Wars The Old Republic going Free to Play.

Scoobes said:

As for Dragon Age 2, there are positives to take from the game. They did a lot of things wrong with that iteration but the story and characters were an interesting take in a genre of generic save-the-world type storylines.

Can't comment on TOR but I'll be giving it a go.

@not scoobes. Bioware didn't just lucky shot with Kotor and Mass Effect. They Had Baulders Gates 1/2, Neverwinter Nights. KoToR which was a NWN game in sthe star wars universe and dumb downed (but since it was star wars it was amazing :P), Dragon Age 1. Not to mention they made the engine that powered a lot of great RPG's.

@Scoobes... yeah, there are positives from DA2, I loved it for like the first 10 hours... it's just after that it was lol I'm sure you understand.

ME3 I have a lot, issues with... but not the ones that everyone else is bringing up. Also I still say Alpha Protocols Shooting mechanics are worse than the first mass effects (I loved Alpha Protocol too, but it had severe gameplay issues :P)

But I am a bit skeptical about bioware... but that's okay. 

Around the Network
TeddostheFireKing said:
YukanaSenix said:
non-gravity said:
Dragon Age II
Mass Effect 3
Star Wars the Old Republic

Well done Bioware

Its sad people still believe in Bioware
Bioware had 2 lucky shots with ME 1 and DA...after that they went downhill with every game.
DA2 was a complete disaster and ME 2 and 3 turned into Gears of War without Blood and a bad ending.

And please don't say its EAs fault cause DICE created with Battlefield 3 the best FPS in this Gen under their name.
Bioware is just bad - admit it finally.

Oh and LOL@ SWTOR
I bought it while it was still a preorder - I were able to play it on the 1st day of the headstart - I think that was around 1 week before the actual release.
I reached LEvel 50 3 days after i started playing - I cleared the complete PvE Content with my guys(good WoW guild who cleared all Deathwing hardmodes while they still mattered) in just 2-3 weeks and we dominated the Realm in PvP for a whole month...
A whole month cause then the free month was over - We did all quit cause there was nothing to do.

The Story is crap - No one cared.
The gameplay sucked ass - It felt like a Beta from the Classic World of Warcraft...but much worse.It was slow and boring.
The graphics were nice but nothing special in the times of a Final Fantasy 14 and Tera Online.
It had nothing to even touch World of Warcraft.They clearly tried to get the attention of Classic WoW Fans but you can't do that in these times.Especially not if you do it that wrong.

Its sad i fell for the "IT CAN KILL WoW" Hype cause of some crap like Star Wars and Bioware(then i still believed somehow in them) behind it.
Servers were dead 3 weeks after release...A game in 2011/12 without a Dungeon Finder and PvP completely server internal?Stupid?Especially with a game where no one knows if it will be succesful?Bioware didn't think at all.I think there were a lot Realms  with under 400 players to the best times in the evening and on the weekend...This is insane...Not even the worst MMORPG before that had such bad numbers.
I wasted nearly a whole month of my life for a game that didn't even touch 1 minute of World of Warcraft.

Although I admit, Mass Effect 3's ending was poor, in every other regard, people loved it. Mass Effect 2 was also enjoyed by nearly all who played it and if you think ME1 had good combat, you need to replay that game.

With the Old Republic, I definitely found myself enjoying the Sith Juggernaut story immensely :)

And Bioware will always have a great place in my heart after KotoR, so a wonderful game.

I never played any Dragon Age games, so i can't comment on them.

False. Mass Effect 2 was reviled by people who liked RPGs, or shooters. Too few guns to not be a sucky shooter, too few armors to not be a sucky RPG. Meanwhile ME1 was actually really good at what it did. I recently played through both of them.

BioWare has started to produce a hell of a lot of crap, and it started a little before they got acquired by EA (or maybe when they did, I don't remember anymore, I stopped caring after NWN came out). The only exceptions were ME1, and an even better game, DA. Then they crapped over both of their awesome idea (funnily enough, with sequels).

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

ishiki said:
Scoobes said:

As for Dragon Age 2, there are positives to take from the game. They did a lot of things wrong with that iteration but the story and characters were an interesting take in a genre of generic save-the-world type storylines.

Can't comment on TOR but I'll be giving it a go.

@not scoobes. Bioware didn't just lucky shot with Kotor and Mass Effect. They Had Baulders Gates 1/2, Neverwinter Nights. KoToR which was a NWN game in sthe star wars universe and dumb downed (but since it was star wars it was amazing :P), Dragon Age 1. Not to mention they made the engine that powered a lot of great RPG's.

@Scoobes... yeah, there are positives from DA2, I loved it for like the first 10 hours... it's just after that it was lol I'm sure you understand.

ME3 I have a lot, issues with... but not the ones that everyone else is bringing up. Also I still say Alpha Protocols Shooting mechanics are worse than the first mass effects (I loved Alpha Protocol too, but it had severe gameplay issues :P)

But I am a bit skeptical about bioware... but that's okay. 

We'll have to agree to disagree about Alpha Protocol's shooting mechanics. They weren't good but I hated the shooting ME1 more.

I think sceptical is a good attitude to have towards modern Bioware games. They're capable of great quality but they've expanded rapidly over the last 5-10 years and now employ over 1000 people across more than 4 studios (I think 7 total but can't remember). Not every game is going to play like classic Bioware (Baldurs gate, Neverwinter, DA Origins, KoToR etc.) anymore when they've got so many different studios around the world.

Scoobes said:

We'll have to agree to disagree about Alpha Protocol's shooting mechanics. They weren't good but I hated the shooting ME1 more.

I think sceptical is a good attitude to have towards modern Bioware games. They're capable of great quality but they've expanded rapidly over the last 5-10 years and now employ over 1000 people across more than 4 studios (I think 7 total but can't remember). Not every game is going to play like classic Bioware (Baldurs gate, Neverwinter, DA Origins, KoToR etc.) anymore when they've got so many different studios around the world.

well, thinking about it maybe the shooting was worse... just alpha protocols, stealth, not cool powers like ME, and crouching animation.IDK it doesn't matter and is off topic, heh.

I played the game for 2 months when it came out...not often though only enough to have a lvl 26 and 18 or something. It was fun and I enjoyed the story and how it felt like kotor. I couldn't get back into it when they gave that free week though. I guess I can take another shot at it soon haha.

www.speedkittens.com

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Scoobes said:

Does the original guys that worked on games like KOTOR, BG1+2 Planescape etc even still work there??.

Casey Hudson is still there he directed

Baulders Gate
KoToR
Jade Empire
ME1,2,3.

There new studios under bioware and new people.

Bioware didn't do Planescape that was Black Isle.

vlad321 said:
Panama said:
All they had to do was get Kotors gameplay and create a persistent world around it. Going free to play so early is pretty much EA admitting it's a complete failure. Too WoW for Kotor fans, not WoW enough for WoW fans.

That won't work too well. KOTOR is a dumbed down NWN, which in turn is a computerization of D&D 3.5. It's not exactly MMO material (Though... NWN was the sickest game I coudl ever think of as D&D. And with a 64 player server limit it was damn near MMO-like, so I guess it's a good idea).

Isn't there a NWN MMORPG coming out? Curious to see how they handle that.

Panama said:
vlad321 said:
Panama said:
All they had to do was get Kotors gameplay and create a persistent world around it. Going free to play so early is pretty much EA admitting it's a complete failure. Too WoW for Kotor fans, not WoW enough for WoW fans.

That won't work too well. KOTOR is a dumbed down NWN, which in turn is a computerization of D&D 3.5. It's not exactly MMO material (Though... NWN was the sickest game I coudl ever think of as D&D. And with a 64 player server limit it was damn near MMO-like, so I guess it's a good idea).

Isn't there a NWN MMORPG coming out? Curious to see how they handle that.

Bioware(NWN 1) and Obsidian (NWN 2) aren't doing it. It's being developed by cryptic. Who's done City of Heroes/Villains, Star Trek Online. And it's Free to play... Maybe it'll be good, but MMO's have too much grinding for me in general. 

What I do not understand is how Bioware/EA can keep their other MMO subscription based for few years, and now this one is F2P in just half a year.

YukanaSenix said:
non-gravity said:
Dragon Age II
Mass Effect 3
Star Wars the Old Republic

Well done Bioware

Its sad people still believe in Bioware
Bioware had 2 lucky shots with ME 1 and DA...after that they went downhill with every game.
DA2 was a complete disaster and ME 2 and 3 turned into Gears of War without Blood and a bad ending.

You do know Mass Effect 2 won several GOTY awards and so will ME3. Both sold more then 4 million copies, and are still making profit. Dragon Age II was good imo but many people disliked it because they Mass Effectized it too much, but it is still a profitable game.