By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Nintendo didnt moneyhat Monster Hunter.

Snesboy said:
BlkPaladin said:

The thing is Nintendo doesn't "moneyhat" in the tradition sense of the word. They were burned the last time they spent a lot of money on a third party developer after that they shied away from giving any developer money instead started to lend out its licenses as an exchange for titles. So if they did do something like that we would see other games made by Capcom with Nintendo's license. Also they have been giving real nice incentives in the form of lower fees to make games on their console much like Sony did with the PSX.

For those who don't know the company was Square after Final Fantasy V, Nintendo sunk millions of dollars in the developer and hundreds of man hours to train their developers, they did receive VI and the Super Mario RPG from the exchange but Square midway into developing VI-2 left Nintendo development and went on to make VII for the PSX.

Final Fantasy VI-2? A sequel to FFVI?!

Yes it was in development before Square moved to Sony. I have only seen one screen of it. (I think it was in a print magazine, probally Game Informer.) And it was from a demo they were working on. It just showed Tera, Locke and Celes 3D models in battle formation. It was binned after the move and they used some of the framework, what they planned for "VI-2" for VII.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
brendude13 said:
Soundwave said:

Plus it's pretty funny payback for the PSOne/PS2 days where Sony denied Nintendo franchises like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid and Tomb Raider and GTA. Now they're getting a taste of their own medicine.

All of the games in those franchises (apart from Final Fantasy IX) were available on other platforms, mainly PC but also the Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and even the Game Boy. Also, none of those franchises apart from Final Fantasy used to be exclusive to Nintendo and Final Fantasy jumped ship because Nintendo shot themselves in the foot by using cartridges.

There certainly were exclusivity contracts for games like GTA3 and MGS2 and DMC and so on. There was no MGS or GTA or DMC or Final Fantasy on Dreamcast/Saturn, not sure where you are getting that from. 

I'm not knocking the practice. Good for Sony for taking advantage of Nintendo's mistakes and then securing key exclusives with "incentives" (read: probably cash pay outs). 

But turn around is fair play. If there was a bidding war for Monster Hunter, it's very likely Capcom looked at the financial state of both Sony/Nintendo and saw Nintendo had far more cash (they made a fortune with the Wii and DS). 

If this is what Nintendo/Capcom did, I don't see anything wrong with it. It was a smart move for both companies, Capcom probably scored a very sweet publishing deal on top of likely a flat-out payment and Nintendo's agreement to assist with marketing. 

I thought you were only talking about 5th gen consoles, I'll happily include 6th gen consoles too though. GTA3 was on Xbox and PC, MGS2 was on Xbox, DMC was on PC (even though you didn't even mention DMC in your original post). There were no Final Fantasy games on Dreamcast or Saturn, which is why I mentioned PC too.

I'm not knocking the practice either, if you don't do it then you won't have any games on your system. But there is a difference between funding development for a new IP and paying to keep an ex-exclusive game off another platform, the latter of which SONY never did with any of the games you mentioned (mainly because they were almost all multiplatform like I pointed out).

I'm not talking about what Nintendo did with Monster Hunter, I'm just focusing on what you accused SONY of doing with the PS1 and PS2 franchises you mentioned. As for what happened with Monster Hunter, I never really knew about the franchise until now and I don't know exactly know what happened, but I don't think it went like that. If Capcom did work like that then the main series Resident Evil games would have been exclusive to the PS2. I definitely don't agree with the idea that a game should go to the higest bidder. What's to stop Apple joining the console war and buying away every important franchise?

BlkPaladin said:
Snesboy said:
BlkPaladin said:

The thing is Nintendo doesn't "moneyhat" in the tradition sense of the word. They were burned the last time they spent a lot of money on a third party developer after that they shied away from giving any developer money instead started to lend out its licenses as an exchange for titles. So if they did do something like that we would see other games made by Capcom with Nintendo's license. Also they have been giving real nice incentives in the form of lower fees to make games on their console much like Sony did with the PSX.

For those who don't know the company was Square after Final Fantasy V, Nintendo sunk millions of dollars in the developer and hundreds of man hours to train their developers, they did receive VI and the Super Mario RPG from the exchange but Square midway into developing VI-2 left Nintendo development and went on to make VII for the PSX.

Final Fantasy VI-2? A sequel to FFVI?!

Yes it was in development before Square moved to Sony. I have only seen one screen of it. (I think it was in a print magazine, probally Game Informer.) And it was from a demo they were working on. It just showed Tera, Locke and Celes 3D models in battle formation. It was binned after the move and they used some of the framework, what they planned for "VI-2" for VII.

I actually remember seeing that too.  I cannot find any information on it any more though.

I'm not sure what you're saying is actually strictly true though, although I have nothing to back it up other than my own memory.  The way I remember it was that early on in VII's development, they were working on the engine and they modelled Tera (and two other characters, can't remember who, but Locke and Celes sounds right) in 3D to test how it was working.

I don't ever remember it being an actual VI-2, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Kresnik said:

I actually remember seeing that too.  I cannot find any information on it any more though.

I'm not sure what you're saying is actually strictly true though, although I have nothing to back it up other than my own memory.  The way I remember it was that early on in VII's development, they were working on the engine and they modelled Tera (and two other characters, can't remember who, but Locke and Celes sounds right) in 3D to test how it was working.

You're right, it was just an N64 tech demo featuring FF6 characters

Looks way better than FFVII, seeing now.

VicViper said:
Kresnik said:

You're right, it was just an N64 tech demo featuring FF6 characters

Looks way better than FFVII, seeing now.

Thanks mate, that was exactly the video I was talking about :) excellent work!

Around the Network

But of course, battle looks way better, but the game wouldn't be what it was on the N64. All other parts would look terrible!

FMV and rendered scenarios was simply the best greeting card this game had back then. N64 couldn't handle both. Square did the right thing.

snowdog said:
snowdog said:
Degausser said:
Monster Hunter 4 is part of the generally console series which appeared on PS2, and then Wii. The fact MH3 was a Wii-exclusive already meant the series was on Nintendo consoles,, 3DS is the natural next console really, as doing a full HD type production on PS3 or Wii-U isn't gonna happen for a Japanese centric franchise.

The Monster Hunter Portable () of which all 3 versions released on the PSP - and the series which skyrocketed it to juggernaut status in Japan imo will remain on Playstation and be a Vita exclusive. It's a few years off and whatever, but the reality is the 3DS MH is a sequel to a Wii game, not a PSP game, and when they make the PSP sequel it'll be on Vita (Albeit exclusivity isn't guarenteed I guess).

The problem is people on here don't actually play or have an interest in the series, so they think the 3DS game is like, the sequel to the PSP one, when it isn't. It's still a big deal though, but not as big as deal as people think.

I doubt very much that we'll see a Monster Hunter for any of the Sony platforms anytime soon. The Vita hasn't even sold over a million in a single territory and by the time the PS4 arrives (even if you don't take into consideration its inevitable higher retail pricepoint) the U will have an installed userbase of anywhere between 10 and 15m assuming that the PS4 is released a year later.

Capcom canned the PS3 exclusive and switched to a Wii exclusive because the PS3 was a complete failure in terms of hardware sales at the time. Christ on a fucking bike, the GBA even outsold it for a few months!!!

I'm personally expecting an announcement from Capcom before the U launches that they're bringing the Monster Hunter franchise to the U. It's a no-brainer. The console is going to fly off shelves over there thanks to Nintendo securing Dragon Quest X, which is the only franchise over there more popular than the Monster Hunter franchise.

Lol, if Nintendo also manage to get an exclusive Final Fantasy title over there for the U then both Sony and Microsoft might as well not bother releasing their next gen consoles over there. ;oP

Here's my post with my mentions of Nintendo's next gen console highlighted. Can't see how I can be more specific than that. I only mentioned the Wii once and that was referring to Monster Hunter Tri.

The stuff you mentioned about Wii U was in regards to MH, you mentioned DQ but didnt say a system in that sentence, so how was I supposed to assume you meant Wii U, when the only game we know is coming anytime soon is the Wii version, but it dont matter, my point was that game isnt going to do anything for Wii and you agree, Wii U, that can go either way, especially since its an MMO

Dragon Quest X is going to be a major system seller for the U in Japan. And I'm expecting it to be a launch window title at least. It certainly can't go either way...it's going to sell an absolute shitload - and if you think any different, like I said earlier, you need to seriously stay off the drink and/or drugs or sign yourself into the local looney bin lol.

snowdog said:
Dragon Quest X is going to be a major system seller for the U in Japan. And I'm expecting it to be a launch window title at least. It certainly can't go either way...it's going to sell an absolute shitload - and if you think any different, like I said earlier, you need to seriously stay off the drink and/or drugs or sign yourself into the local looney bin lol.

Yeah because MMOs are really popular in Japan, launch window?? that would imply the Wii U verson will be out by the end of the year, maybe you're on drugs? I dont see that happening, but hell maybe TGS they will surprise us, but this is SE and it takes them forever to do anything so i wouldnt hold my breath

The Wii SKU is out in a few days, and the launch window will include any time up to the end of Q1 2013. I can see it being released early next year.