By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Bible verse discussion thread

Tagged games:

Babylon would rule Judah for 70 years

Bible prophecy: Jeremiah 25:11-12
Prophecy written: Sometime between 626-586 BC
Prophecy fulfilled: About 609 BC to 539 BC

In Jeremiah 25:11-12, the prophet said that the Jews would suffer 70 years of Babylonian domination. Jeremiah also said Babylon would be punished after the 70 years. Both parts of this prophecy were fulfilled. In 609 BC, which is about 2600 years ago, Babylon captured the last Assyrian king and ruled over a vast part of what had been the Assyrian empire, to which the land of Israel previously had been subjugated. Babylon later asserted its dominance by taking many Jews as captives to Babylon, and by destroying Jerusalem and the Temple. The domination ended in 539 BC, when Cyrus, a leader of Persians and Medes, conquered Babylon and brought an end to its empire. Cyrus later offered the captive Jews the freedom to return to their homeland. - Copyright © George Konig, Ray Konig and 100Prophecies.org

Jeremiah 25:11-12:

11 This whole country will become a desolate wasteland, and these nations will serve the king of Babylon seventy years.

12 "But when the seventy years are fulfilled, I will punish the king of Babylon and his nation, the land of the Babylonians, for their guilt," declares the LORD, "and will make it desolate forever.

Around the Network

Babylon's gates would open for Cyrus

Bible prophecy: Isaiah 45:1
Prophecy written: Between 701-681 BC
Prophecy fulfilled: 539 BC

In Isaiah 45:1, the prophet said God would open the gates of Babylon for Cyrus and his attacking army. Despite Babylon's remarkable defenses, which included moats, and walls that were more than 70-feet thick and 300-feet high, and 250 watchtowers, Cyrus was able to enter the city and conquer it. Cyrus and his troops diverted the flow of the Euphrates River into a large lake basin. Cyrus then was able to march his army across the riverbed and into the city. - Copyright © George Konig, Ray Konig and 100Prophecies.org

Isaiah 45:1:

"This is what the Lord says to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of to subdue nations before him and to strip kings of their armor, to open doors before him so that gates will not be shut:

Babylon's kingdom would be overthrown, permanently

Bible prophecy: Isaiah 13:19
Prophecy written: Between 701-681 BC
Prophecy fulfilled: 539 BC

In Isaiah 13:19, the prophet said Babylon would be overthrown, permanently. History confirms that when Cyrus conquered Babylon in 539 BC, it never again rose to power as an empire. Before the time of Cyrus, however, Babylon had been defeated by the Assyrian Empire but was able to recover and later conquer the Assyrian Empire. However, like Isaiah prophesied 2700 years ago, the Babylonian Empire never recovered from Cyrus' conquest. - Copyright © George Konig, Ray Konig and 100Prophecies.org

Isaiah 13:19:

Babylon, the jewel of kingdoms, the glory of the Babylonians' pride, will be overthrown by God like Sodom and Gomorrah.

I am Atheist. I was raised strict Roman Catholic, went to Catholic school until college. I do not believe anything in the bible.

Let me explain.

My Catholic friends have a strict moral code and hard-line opinions on issues of morality. It's all due to what they've read and what they've been told based on words from the Bible. The Bible. Talking snakes, people living to be 800 years old. People getting stoned for working on the Sabbath. Going to hell for mixing cotton and linen. A boat that contained two of every species on earth. Burning bushes. Splitting rivers. Etc, etc.

Then you have Mormons, and they believe everything that is written in the Book of Mormon. A book that was translated by a convicted criminal that he made by translating what was written on Golden tablets that only he could see. It states that Jews were originally from North America, and that the Garden of Eden was in Missouri.

My belief is that you would have to be crazy to take the Bible literally. Just as you would have to be just as crazy to take the Book of Mormon literally. Things written in the Bible aren't any less crazy then what Mormons believe from their book. Most of us are just used to the contents of the Bible because it's been around for so long. Resurrections and virgin births aren't any less crazy than getting your own planet when you go to heaven and living the principle of plural marriage.

And my point is this: How can people pick and choose certain things to follow in the Bible and ignore others, and still call themselves Christians? How does that even make any sense?

sperrico87 said:
I am Atheist. I was raised strict Roman Catholic, went to Catholic school until college. I do not believe anything in the bible.

Let me explain.

My Catholic friends have a strict moral code and hard-line opinions on issues of morality. It's all due to what they've read and what they've been told based on words from the Bible. The Bible. Talking snakes, people living to be 800 years old. People getting stoned for working on the Sabbath. Going to hell for mixing cotton and linen. A boat that contained two of every species on earth. Burning bushes. Splitting rivers. Etc, etc.

Then you have Mormons, and they believe everything that is written in the Book of Mormon. A book that was translated by a convicted criminal that he made by translating what was written on Golden tablets that only he could see. It states that Jews were originally from North America, and that the Garden of Eden was in Missouri.

My belief is that you would have to be crazy to take the Bible literally. Just as you would have to be just as crazy to take the Book of Mormon literally. Things written in the Bible aren't any less crazy then what Mormons believe from their book. Most of us are just used to the contents of the Bible because it's been around for so long. Resurrections and virgin births aren't any less crazy than getting your own planet when you go to heaven and living the principle of plural marriage.

And my point is this: How can people pick and choose certain things to follow in the Bible and ignore others, and still call themselves Christians? How does that even make any sense?

Boy, you people would be bored to death if there were no christians on the internet

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
DélioPT said:
In my opinion what is present in the Old Testament and specially in this book, is the value of purity and the meaning of Justice. But to read the Old Testament you need to remember how people was at that time: people often say that God is vengeful or that He is mean, but it was the people who was (easily) corrupted even when having God in their presence. Remember God`s words to Moses of how hard were the hearts of those at that time and not to forget the response that Jesus gave regarding divorce (reading both quotes gives a better idea).

Yes, definitely sheds clues on the process of the writing of the laws. Aka some laws we know were written in divine inspiration, but the inspiration took into account the hardness of heart, and as such is not the actual untampered will of God, but a compromise of sorts.

That's why the law of Christ is the full package, the real deal.

Exactly.
People need to understand that there is a time and place for everything, even in the Bible you can see that.
Reading the Bible doesn`t let you in God`s mind. That heardness of heart is just one of the hints that God gives us so we can understand why things were the way they were. In a way, there`s what we know and can "read" from the Bible, but there also is what we can`t know because we aren`t God. We can`t even know how those people really were... Only God knows.

sperrico87 said:

Let me explain.

Yep, I like this post. In this thread, I would like you to raise your points that lead you to your worldview and give us some topics to work on. Just make sure to post them when the thread's activity isn't too congested.

Thanks Sperrico.

@player. Be a good sport.

DélioPT said:

Exactly.
People need to understand that there is a time and place for everything, even in the Bible you can see that.
Reading the Bible doesn`t let you in God`s mind. That heardness of heart is just one of the hints that God gives us so we can understand why things were the way they were. In a way, there`s what we know and can "read" from the Bible, but there also is what we can`t know because we aren`t God. We can`t even know how those people really were... Only God knows.

True. We can use hints from the book to shed light on other areas. After all, there are absolutes. One we've just discovered together ;)

tagging

sperrico87 said:

Let me explain.

Just a couple of things. A lot of the old testiment is filled with metaphores and fables, to explain and teach people at the time.

I will just coment of a couple of the things you mentioned.

1 people living to be 800 years old.

We do not know for certain how time was kept in the early parts of the Bible. Many believe that a year to the people in the early part of the Bible could have been a moon cycle. So a year to them may have been about 30 days. So when it says Adam lived 930 years, by our curent callendar it would be about 77 years old.

2. Splitting rivers

This has actually been scientifically explained. At the point where Moses crosses the Red sea, this could be acomplished with a strong storm which would have pushed the water further out to sea, making for easy crossing. As the storm ends, the water would rush back up creating a huge wave flooding back the area that was crossed.  See the following video.