Forums - General Discussion - The Bible verse discussion thread

Tagged games:

Around the Network
sperrico87 said:
richardhutnik said:
sperrico87 said:
Player1x3 said:
sperrico87 said:

And my point is this: How can people pick and choose certain things to follow in the Bible and ignore others, and still call themselves Christians? How does that even make any sense?

Boy, you people would be bored to death if there were no christians on the internet

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.  I don't actively seek Christian-related things on the internet and interject my opinion.  In fact this is the first time I've ever talked about religion on a blog. 

Thanks for that, he makes a lot of points that I fear my Christian friends are guilty of.  I myself prefer Penn Jillette over Bill Maher as a good one to listen to.  His approach is more my personality, which is to "kill with kindness" as opposed to insulting people and not expecting insults back. 

And I was trying to reply to your post, but didn't find it.  I ended up replying through someone else's.  Pardon me here for not searching through pages of this thread to find stuff.  I have seen how these go on long enough.  If I could find it, I would post a short Far Cry 3 clip on the definition of insanity in response here.  So, for me, it is break out the videos.

richardhutnik said:

On sola scripture video

How is this related to OP, and where has anyone claimed determined the supremacy of one scripture over another?

If you think this is just hocus pocus (since I can't see any other usefulness in your post), what are you doing in a bible discussion thread?

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
richardhutnik said:

On sola scripture video

How is this related to OP, and where has anyone claimed determined the supremacy of one scripture over another?

If you think this is just hocus pocus (since I can't see any other usefulness in your post), what are you doing in a bible discussion thread?

The subject header says this is a Bible discussion thread.  So, I have posted stuff relating to the Bible.  If you want to change the subject header to be specific Bible verses, then feel free to, so the context is clearer.  Because it is on the Bible, you bring in discussions of "Sola Scriptura" which is a Protestantant tradition regarding the Bible.  What Chesterton wrote, which is in the video, relates to this.

More on the subject which connects to Sola Scriptura, and its limitations:

richardhutnik said:
happydolphin said:
richardhutnik said:

On sola scripture video

The subject header says this is a Bible discussion thread.  So, I have posted stuff relating to the Bible.  If you want to change the subject header to be specific Bible verses, then feel free to, so the context is clearer.  Because it is on the Bible, you bring in discussions of "Sola Scriptura" which is a Protestantant tradition regarding the Bible.  What Chesterton wrote, which is in the video, relates to this.

So, I asked you what it had to do with OP and you still haven't answered. I would like to know because i'm pretty unimpressed with you quinti-post of youtube vids, the one of which I watched having little to do with OP. So I asked "what does it have to do with OP" and you still haven't answered.

Please answer cause I'm pretty unimpressed.

happydolphin said:
richardhutnik said:
happydolphin said:
richardhutnik said:

On sola scripture video

So, I asked you what it had to do with OP and you still haven't answered. I would like to know because i'm pretty unimpressed with you quinti-post of youtube vids, the one of which I watched having little to do with OP. So I asked "what does it have to do with OP" and you still haven't answered.

Please answer cause I'm pretty unimpressed.

You wrote this to introduce your thread:

After much debate over matters of faith and secularism, some friends and I have come to the conclusion that it might be best to start a thread as a place to discuss biblical ideas so as to learn about Judeo-Christian doctrine, and reduce off-topic debates on scripture and reduce the amount of learning that needs to be done during controversial debates when it comes to things of the bible.

You started a thread as a place to discuss biblican ideas as to learn about Judeo-Christian doctrine.  In response to this, I posted a number of videos connected to this, with the most recent having to do with the Christian doctrine involving how to understand the Bible and its role (sola-scriptura).  All this connects to your original point.  Now, if you want to have a thread on whether or not the Bible requires rapists to marry women they rape, that is a much more specific issue, and maybe you should change your subject to that.  But, as it is now, you wanted to discuss Judeo-Christian doctrine, so I was sharing a number of things related to that, and scripture itself.  I posted some music by a Jewish musician also, which has ties to the Old Testament.  Anyhow, pardon me for not thinking the next sum of Judeo-Christian doctrine involved whether or not rapist must marry women they rape, and also if I am not following your agenda and list of topics.  I didn't think it was about that, and actually find that topic fairly simplistic, pretty boring and does little to enlighten, and doesn't account for cultural context either.

richardhutnik said:

You wrote this to introduce your thread:

After much debate over matters of faith and secularism, some friends and I have come to the conclusion that it might be best to start a thread as a place to discuss biblical ideas so as to learn about Judeo-Christian doctrine, and reduce off-topic debates on scripture and reduce the amount of learning that needs to be done during controversial debates when it comes to things of the bible.

You started a thread as a place to discuss biblican ideas as to learn about Judeo-Christian doctrine.  In response to this, I posted a number of videos connected to this, with the most recent having to do with the Christian doctrine involving how to understand the Bible and its role (sola-scriptura).  All this connects to your original point.  Now, if you want to have a thread on whether or not the Bible requires rapists to marry women they rape, that is a much more specific issue, and maybe you should change your subject to that.  But, as it is now, you wanted to discuss Judeo-Christian doctrine, so I was sharing a number of things related to that, and scripture itself.  I posted some music by a Jewish musician also, which has ties to the Old Testament.  Anyhow, pardon me for not thinking the next sum of Judeo-Christian doctrine involved whether or not rapist must marry women they rape, and also if I am not following your agenda and list of topics.  I didn't think it was about that, and actually find that topic fairly simplistic, pretty boring and does little to enlighten, and doesn't account for cultural context either.

The topic is about biblican passages and explaining them within their contexts if that sheds clues.  If you want to post 1 video with some obsuce tie-in to OP be my guest.

But quinty-posting some fucking random video with possible tie-ins to the bible, if you don't mind, consider the absolute zero value to the thread, take your videos and go.

Now if there's something you think will contribute to the thread in a direct manner, post the vid, and clearly and explicitely say so in your post, otherwise I'll consider videos of a teenage highschooler clamoring "Jesus, man!" to be disrespectful and unresourceful.

Thanks