By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Bible verse discussion thread

Tagged games:

I just want to know who Seth slept with to form the human race. If Able was killed and Cain was banished then that would leave Seth (the 3rd son) to spread his seed. I assume he had sex with one of his sisters or did he do Eve?

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

I just want to know who Seth slept with to form the human race. If Able was killed and Cain was banished then that would leave Seth (the 3rd son) to spread his seed. I assume he had sex with one of his sisters or did he do Eve?

His sisters, sorry one of his sisters, and Eve very unlikely. It was forbidden. Remember God was still present in the life of the first humans, as God's convo with Cain would show.

Monogamy is a scriptural command for all biblical times. Though some righteous kings practiced polygamy, it was tolerated by God (it would appear).

happydolphin said:
sethnintendo said:

His sisters, sorry one of his sisters, and Eve very unlikely. It was forbidden. Remember God was still present in the life of the first humans, as God's convo with Cain would show.

Monogamy is a scriptural command for all biblical times. Though some righteous kings practiced polygamy, it was tolerated by God (it would appear).

Yup one of his sisters. It is unclear if Able had already had children before his death. Cain also could have had children before his banishment, also if he had a wife, he may have took her with him after he was banished.

sethnintendo said:

Oh Seth and I forgot to mention that Adam and Eve also had other sons and daughters.

Genesis 5

New International Version (NIV)

From Adam to Noah

This is the written account of Adam’s family line.

When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth. After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters.Altogether, Adam lived a total of 930 years, and then he died.

happydolphin said:

Oh Seth and I forgot to mention that Adam and Eve also had other sons and daughters.

I was mainly going for the incest side of the story.  In order to self propagate incest would have to occur which I assume was condoned by god considering the population was so low.  Not until tribes could form and separate would an acceptable/better way of transmitting genetic material be formed.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
happydolphin said:

I was mainly going for the incest side of the story.  In order to self propagate incest would have to occur which I assume was condoned by god considering the population was so low.  Not until tribes could form and separate would an acceptable/better way of transmitting genetic material be formed.

Correct.

sethnintendo said:
happydolphin said:

Like Wiibox3 said, pretty much that. Incest was only forbidden as of the mosaic law as far as I know.

I'd say the only laws of God that we're aware of prior to the mosaic law are

Gen 2:24: marriage was one man one woman from the start.

Original Sin:

Do not lie (the serpent lied when he temped Adam and Eve)

Do not covet (Adam and Eve coveted the fruit)

Submit to God's infinite provision and glory (the serpent tempted them by saying they could be like God)

Pride is evil (they wanted to be like God)

Do not murder (Cain murdered his brother and was punished)

Jealousy is evil (Cain was jealous of his brother)

And probably the more obscure ones like bearing children for your deceased brother with his widowed wife (no longer applicable as far as I can tell)

Apart from that, incest wasn't a sin before the mosaic law. However, it was sister to brother and monogamous due to Gen 2:24.

spurgeonryan said:
What happened to the dinosaurs and Unicorns?

Supper with my roomies, I"ll get to the dinos one. Unicorns Idk.

happydolphin said:
NintendoPie said:
A lot of this stuff is extremely old fashioned, so I really don't know what to say...

But I guess he doesn't? Right?

I wouldn't think so either. But, I am taking time to mull over the passages.

For this one:

Deuteronomy 22:28-29

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father.  Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

I was thinking something this morning. This must be evidence that Moses inspired by the spirit of God prioritized sexual purity over the psychological trauma of rape in a victim, and the horror of facing a rapist for life, as a husband. It's a tough pill to swallow, but I am taking the time to think about it.

It would also point to the idea that a rapist is a person, and a person no matter their crimes is worthy of marriage?

These are thoughts so please do not judge me for expressing them, I'm just thinking out load.

It's much more straightforward and materialistic. A deflowered woman had no sale value, so the man who did so was required to take her. It's the marriage equivalent of shotgun weddings, or "you break it, you bought it." Otherwise the woman would be unmarriagable, creating a burden on her family.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

It's much more straightforward and materialistic. A deflowered woman had no sale value, so the man who did so was required to take her. It's the marriage equivalent of shotgun weddings, or "you break it, you bought it." Otherwise the woman would be unmarriagable, creating a burden on her family.

I see. Could this be a form of compromise or workaround given a framework of a given culture?