By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - I Was Detained by the TSA...

... because my name is "too common".

By which, I think they mean, their system cocked up and flagged me as someone else.

They told me to blame my parents, for giving me a common name, it couldn't possibly by their fault.

We missed our interconnecting flight, because of this.

Around the Network

Where were you flying to, and from where?

man-bear-pig said:

Heathrow to Miami, why?

Interconnected to Orlando.

From what I can tell (talking to the staff at American Airlines, and locals at where we stay), Miami is notoriously bad. I, myself, have been through TSA airports numerous times (JFK, Orlando), and have never had an experience like Miami - not just the detaining, but just the general rudeness of the staff.

SamuelRSmith said:
man-bear-pig said:

Heathrow to Miami, why?

From what I can tell (talking to the staff at American Airlines, and locals at where we stay), Miami is notoriously bad. I, myself, have been through TSA airports numerous times (JFK, Orlando), and have never had an experience like Miami - not just the detaining, but just the general rudeness of the staff.

My mum was flying out of heathrow today and she says the security is insane and it's busy as hell due to the Olympics, so I was just curious if you were detained in London.

OT: Is your name John Smith, by any chance?

They're not called the Transportation Security Assholes for nothin'.

Around the Network

Orlando shouldn't be as bad unless everyone was told to step up due to the Olympics. (Which wouldn't make much sense for America but still...)

MCO is usually very easy to get through when I go.

man-bear-pig said:
SamuelRSmith said:
man-bear-pig said:

Heathrow to Miami, why?

My mum was flying out of heathrow today and she says the security is insane and it's busy as hell due to the Olympics, so I was just curious if you were detained in London.

OT: Is your name John Smith, by any chance?

Nah, funnily enough, I'm Samuel Smith.

Heathrow was no different from normal, we flew from terminal 3 (they may have assigned certain terminals for Olympic business, I dunno).

are you brown and/or Muslim? if so you should have seen that one coming...

that's not a joke btw (sadly).

So it all made sense now when I posted articles on TSA?

...and i'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they got at Heathrow...

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’