By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 failure rates are reportedly down to PS3 levels, just as the generation comes to a close

Chris Hu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
I don't want to hate here, but i will.

As we all know the 360 fail rate was due to the fact that Microsoft rushed it to the market, in order to make it available before the PS3.

But let me ask you, isn't that all MS is capable of ? Monopolizing the market ! They always win when they play alone and they always strive to undermine everyone else, no matter how sneaky the tactic, in order to be the only one in the market. MS fears competition.

They of course had for a big part, the press* and the, let me put it kindly, somewhat gullible US market on their side.

*press: those people who hate Nintendo

Wrong the 360 was rushed into the market because of a bad business deal with Nvidia.  Nvidia screwed over Microsoft with the price of their GPU.  Also Nvidia stoped production of the Xbox's GPU in August 2005 which meant MS could not make any more new X-Box's after that.

Read this. Microsoft intentionally sold faulty hardware to get the console to launch a year before Sony. They got the third parties behind them but they knowingly fucked the consumers. They knew if they segmented Sonys market by having all the same third party games they could weaken Sony and they did, but their risk didnt go unnoticed. I posted something earlier where the manufacturing places admitted to faulty hardware.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/13974

Did you even read what I said.  If Nvidia and MS had a good business relationship the 360 would have been powered by a Nvidia GPU and it would have been %100 percent backwards compatible and the console itself would have launched at least six month later since the original X-box would have been manufactured beyond August of 2005.  The original X-Box and the 360 would have co-existed for at least a year also.  The faulty hardware of the first batch of 360's is largely due to the rush job MS had to do because of the bad business deal with Nvidia.  They weren't afraid of Sony the only company that was afraid of Sony when it came to a console launch was Sega that's why the Dreamcast launched more then a year ahead of the PS2.  Also that's not the first time Sega was afraid of the competion that's why the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive launch more then two years ahead of the SNES.

Read this article. You're not listening. Microsoft KNEW ahead of time they had faulty hardware, it doesnt matter how many deals they made they had to launch the 360 a year ahead of Sony.

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360-defects-an-inside-history-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/

Read.

Read what I said again Nvidia stopped manufacturing the GPU for the original 360 on August of 2005 of course they had to lauch the 360 early or they would have no consoles to sell for a long time.   Again if the relationship with Nvidia would have been great the 360 would have launched at least six month later with a Nvidia GPU instead of a AMD/ATI GPU I guess you can't understand the words that are comming out of my mouth.  Also Microsoft wasn't afraid of Sony last gen or the original X-Box wouldn't have launched a year and a half after the PS2 not even Nindento was afraid of Sony the Gamecube launched just two month before the original X-Box.

No. Microsoft's main reason for joining the gaming industry was to cut into Sonys multimedia marketshare, much like they did with Apple. They want the living, room the games were always second to them but they knew in the beginning they had to get the third parties Sony was associated with on their side. They couldnt deal with shareholders telling them to back out of the gaming industry after losing so much on the original Xbox. They rushed the 360 to beat Sony to the next gen because Sony is established and they knew they couldnt beat Sony if they both launched head to head.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:

As we all know the 360 fail rate was due to the fact that Microsoft rushed it to the market, in order to make it available before the PS3.

But let me ask you, isn't that all MS is capable of ? Monopolizing the market ! They always win when they play alone and they always strive to undermine everyone else, no matter how sneaky the tactic, in order to be the only one in the market. MS fears competition.

They of course had for a big part, the press* and the, let me put it kindly, somewhat gullible US market on their side.

Wrong the 360 was rushed into the market because of a bad business deal with Nvidia.  Nvidia screwed over Microsoft with the price of their GPU.  Also Nvidia stoped production of the Xbox's GPU in August 2005 which meant MS could not make any more new X-Box's after that.

Read this. Microsoft intentionally sold faulty hardware to get the console to launch a year before Sony. They got the third parties behind them but they knowingly fucked the consumers. They knew if they segmented Sonys market by having all the same third party games they could weaken Sony and they did, but their risk didnt go unnoticed. I posted something earlier where the manufacturing places admitted to faulty hardware.

Did you even read what I said.  If Nvidia and MS had a good business relationship the 360 would have been powered by a Nvidia GPU and it would have been %100 percent backwards compatible and the console itself would have launched at least six month later since the original X-box would have been manufactured beyond August of 2005.  The original X-Box and the 360 would have co-existed for at least a year also.  The faulty hardware of the first batch of 360's is largely due to the rush job MS had to do because of the bad business deal with Nvidia.  They weren't afraid of Sony the only company that was afraid of Sony when it came to a console launch was Sega that's why the Dreamcast launched more then a year ahead of the PS2.  Also that's not the first time Sega was afraid of the competion that's why the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive launch more then two years ahead of the SNES.

Read this article. You're not listening. Microsoft KNEW ahead of time they had faulty hardware, it doesnt matter how many deals they made they had to launch the 360 a year ahead of Sony.

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360-defects-an-inside-history-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/

Read.

Read what I said again Nvidia stopped manufacturing the GPU for the original 360 on August of 2005 of course they had to lauch the 360 early or they would have no consoles to sell for a long time.   Again if the relationship with Nvidia would have been great the 360 would have launched at least six month later with a Nvidia GPU instead of a AMD/ATI GPU I guess you can't understand the words that are comming out of my mouth.  Also Microsoft wasn't afraid of Sony last gen or the original X-Box wouldn't have launched a year and a half after the PS2 not even Nindento was afraid of Sony the Gamecube launched just two month before the original X-Box.

No. Microsoft's main reason for joining the gaming industry was to cut into Sonys multimedia marketshare, much like they did with Apple. They want the living, room the games were always second to them but they knew in the beginning they had to get the third parties Sony was associated with on their side. They couldnt deal with shareholders telling them to back out of the gaming industry after losing so much on the original Xbox. They rushed the 360 to beat Sony to the next gen because Sony is established and they knew they couldnt beat Sony if they both launched head to head.

Again you can't understand the words that are coming out of my mouth have you even read what I said about how Nvidia screwed over Microsoft on the original X-Box.  Also nobody is really afraid of Sony nothing against the Playstation but you do realize that Sony was at the height of their power during the Walkman craze.  Microsoft was a bigger company long before the first Playstation launched.  Nintendo was around before the key people that founded Sony where even born.  The only company that was afraid of Sony when it came to launching a console was Sega with the Dreamcast but they where afraid of Nindento long before that.  Also when it comes to being a multimedia device the 360 is better then PS3 and that would have been the same no matter when it lauched.  But keep on living in a dream world where everyone is afraid of Sony if it makes you happy.  Even though Sony as a whole is pretty much on a radip decline.  Also what you said about Microsoft holds even more true for Sony the reason they got into the gaming industry is because they wanted a piece of Nitendo's multimedia marketshare plus they have been losing marketshare when it comes to electronics ever since the decline of the popularity of the Walkman.

Chris Hu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:

Read.

Again you can't understand the words that are coming out of my mouth have you even read what I said about how Nvidia screwed over Microsoft on the original X-Box.  Also nobody is really afraid of Sony nothing against the Playstation but you do realize that Sony was at the height of their power during the Walkman craze.  Microsoft was a bigger company long before the first Playstation launched.  Nintendo was around before the key people that founded Sony where even born.  The only company that was afraid of Sony when it came to launching a console was Sega with the Dreamcast but they where afraid of Nindento long before that.  Also when it comes to being a multimedia device the 360 is better then PS3 and that would have been the same no matter when it lauched.  But keep on living in a dream world where everyone is afraid of Sony if it makes you happy.  Even though Sony as a whole is pretty much on a radip decline.  Also what you said about Microsoft holds even more true for Sony the reason they got into the gaming industry is because they wanted a piece of Nitendo's multimedia marketshare plus they have been losing marketshare when it comes to electronics ever since the decline of the popularity of the Walkman.

You're walking around the reality. You dont care about the articles, just your defense. This is pointless. Microsoft was afraid of Sony (It's healthy when your competition is that dominant) and they knew the only way to beat them was to become like them and launch themselves ahead of them so that when the consumers saw them, they couldnt tell the difference which is why eventually the 360 and PS3 were referred to as the "HD Twins". I posted three different articles pointing to the same issue as to why the 360 was rushed. Show me an article on Nvidia being the reason the 360 was rushed. Its completely clear Microsoft knew they had faulty hardware and DID NOT CARE as long as they launched on time. This is my last post because unless you have something to support this point you're making.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:

Read.

You're walking around the reality. You dont care about the articles, just your defense. This is pointless. Microsoft was afraid of Sony (It's healthy when your competition is that dominant) and they knew the only way to beat them was to become like them and launch themselves ahead of them so that when the consumers saw them, they couldnt tell the difference which is why eventually the 360 and PS3 were referred to as the "HD Twins". I posted three different articles pointing to the same issue as to why the 360 was rushed. Show me an article on Nvidia being the reason the 360 was rushed. Its completely clear Microsoft knew they had faulty hardware and DID NOT CARE as long as they launched on time. This is my last post because unless you have something to support this point you're making.

Why would Microsoft make a big deal about being screwed over by Nvidia, would that really make a lot of business sense.  In business you try to make more friends then enemies even when you get screwed over big time once in a while like Nvidia did with the GPU for the original X-Box.  I know the truth behind one of the main reasons the 360 was launched early but you can keep on living in a dream world where everyone is afraid of Sony.  Even though besided the Walkman and the Playstation their only claim to fame is launching formats that fail like Betamax, Digital Audio Tape, Mini Disc, ATRAC Audio Compression, Memory Stick and UMD.  The reason that had to lauch when they did is because they couldn't make anymore new original X-Box's after Nvidia stopped making the GPU in August of 2005.  The only thing they where afraid of was not having any consoles on the market for a long time.  Also the original X-Box was in production for a shorter time then the Gamecube and it still sold almost 3 million more console and the Gamecube was alway cheaper and had a fire sale towards the end of its life something the original X-Box never had since all its cosoles where sold long before that.  So Microsoft outsold the orginial and still true king of video games on its first try yet they launched the 360 early since they where afraid of Sony that makes a lot of sense to no one.

Damn I can't even believe that the failure rate was that bad to begin with!

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:

It still doesn't explain the rush though. If the deal with Nvidia fell through, then MS could delay the XB launch. Why patch that up by launching sooner than the damage repair called for?

I sense rose-tinted glasses.

Chris Hu said:

So Microsoft outsold the orginial and still true king of video games on its first try yet they launched the 360 early since they where afraid of Sony that makes a lot of sense to no one.

Wow, if Microsoft outsold the true king go video games (rightfully Nintendo), imagine how much Sony massacred them with the PS2.

Nah, don't downplay what Sony was able to do in the market, the history of it is etched in stone. They managed to set Sega to their manufacturing grave. That's a tragic yet collosal feat on the part of Sony. Only 6 years ago, the Playstation was undefeatable. The thing the 360 did against the PS3 is another remarkeable feat, and S.T.A.G.E. is most likely right to say that MS did everything in their power to weaken Sony's presence in the living room.

Hopefully Nintendo will be able to piggyback onto silly old MS and regain its rightful place as king of the videogame console market.

happydolphin said:
Chris Hu said:

It still doesn't explain the rush though. If the deal with Nvidia fell through, then MS could delay the XB launch. Why patch that up by launching sooner than the damage repair called for?

I sense rose-tinted glasses.

I sense more rose tinted glasses from people that think they launched the 360 because they where afraid of Sony.  Again they had to lauch the console when they did because they couldn't make any more new orginial X-Box's since they didn't have any more GPU's after "August of 2005" and trust me the relatioship between Nvidia and Microsoft went sour years before that so they screwed them over since they had to find a new developer for the GPU of the 360 and they basically killed the original X-Box.  Also month without any new consoles to sell would have hurt Microsoft a lot more then the RROD did.  That pretty much what killed Atari because they couldn't figure out what to do after the 2600 (releasing tons of bad games for it also didn't help). The 5200 should have never been released and the 7800 lauched too late.  And by the time they tried to come back with the Jaguar nobody cared.

Chris Hu said:

I sense more rose tinted glasses from people that think they launched the 360 because they where afraid of Sony.  Again they had to lauch the console when they did because they couldn't make any more new orginial X-Box's since they didn't have any more GPU's after "August of 2005" and trust me the relatioship between Nvidia and Microsoft went sour years before that so they screwed them over since they had to find a new developer for the GPU of the 360 and they basically killed the original X-Box.  Also month without any new consoles to sell would have hurt Microsoft a lot more then the RROD did.  That pretty much what killed Atari because they couldn't figure out what to do after the 2600 (releasing tons of bad games for it also didn't help). The 5200 should have never been released and the 7800 lauched too late.  And by the time they tried to come back with the Jaguar nobody cared.

If Microsoft is so omnipotent and unscared of Sony, why did they _need_ to have xboxes being shipped to consumers at all times, when only six years prior they weren't even in the console business.

None of this makes any sense.

happydolphin said:
Chris Hu said:

If Microsoft is so omnipotent and unscared of Sony, why did they _need_ to have xboxes being shipped to consumers at all times, when only six years prior they weren't even in the console business.

None of this makes any sense.

They wanted to stay in the console business you stay in the console business by always having a console on the market and widely available.  Again not having a console available for purchase would have hurt them more then the RROD ever did.  Nintendo never took a break and had a period where their where no Nintendo consoles on the market neither did Sony or Sega when they still where in the console business.  As a matter of fact Sega could have been in the console business a while longer if they didn't have supply issuses during the Dreamcasts early life.  Between the 2600 and the Atari Jaguar their where periods where there where no Atari consoles available or if they where only on a limited basis.  Even though WB, Universal, and Paramount have all been making movies for over 90 years you don't think it would hurt them a whole lot if for some crazy reason they decided not to release a new movie for over a year.  Also the original X-Box was only available for four year from 2001 till the end of 2005.  The 360 launched on November 22, 2005 a little more then four year after the original X-Box which launched on November 15, 2001.