By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The 1992 United States Basketball Olympic "Dream Team"

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201207/dream-team-20th-anniversary-1992-olympics-usa-basketball?currentPage=1

Nice article I read (in magazine form) while having a haircut. I have fond memories of those games. All those guys were killers. Each person on that team (excluding Laettner) was a born winner and had the drive and passion not just to play well, but to do everything it takes to win.

Even though nowadays, there are a lot of extremely talented players, no team can ever compete with the guys on the original dream team. It's not about talent really. Skill can only get you so far. There's nobody more persistent to win than Magic, Michael, Bird, Barkley, etc.

You can make the argument that the 2012 Olympic team may be (I don't think so) more talented than the 1992 one, but if they played together, 1992 will destroy 2012 simply because of absolute winning desire and experience. Among the members of 2012, only Kobe and Lebron possess that kind of quality. 1992 had 11 guys who had it.

(I just wanted to discuss)

Around the Network

I was only one when this happened but I saw the documentary that the NBA channel showed. it was pretty good.

The 1992 team is the only true "Dream Team". The rest are pretenders. I might be incorrect in saying this, but I think that every single player on the team but Christian Laettner is in the Hall of Fame.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

The main reason the 2012 team wouldn't beat 1992 is all in the middle.

You can argue that 2012's point guards could take 92 since Magic was on his retirement tour and they stupidly left off Isaiah for political reasons.

You could even argue that Kobe could slow down Jordan enough so that Durant and Lebron could more then make up for it with their SF dominance, and that one of them could even up the PF game by playing some minutes in the PF. (Lebron of course.)

Centers though? Tyson Chandler and Kevin Love... vs David Robinson and Patrick Ewing.

It's arguably the biggest mismatch between the two teams.

Is there any team on earth more dominant than the U.S. Men's National Basketball team?

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

You can argue that 2012's point guards could take 92 since Magic was on his retirement tour and they stupidly left off Isaiah for political reasons.

You could even argue that Kobe could slow down Jordan enough so that Durant and Lebron could more then make up for it with their SF dominance, and that one of them could even up the PF game by playing some minutes in the PF. (Lebron of course.)

Centers though? Tyson Chandler and Kevin Love... vs David Robinson and Patrick Ewing.

Stockton was a better pure and all around point guard then Thomas.  All the others players on the team where execellent passers also so they didn't need another point guard.  Also Johnson could create more matchup problems with other teams.  The only way the team could have been much better is if they would have had Shaq instead of Laettner.

Kasz216 said:

a bigger mismatch would be PF, where barkley and malone would just maul everyone else in the post. lebron and durant are tall enough, but they don't have the strength to match up in post defense, especially against barkley's backdown.

anyway, jordan makes up for everything else. kobe isn't in the same league (well no one is anyway).

bugrimmar said:
Kasz216 said:

a bigger mismatch would be PF, where barkley and malone would just maul everyone else in the post. lebron and durant are tall enough, but they don't have the strength to match up in post defense, especially against barkley's backdown.

anyway, jordan makes up for everything else. kobe isn't in the same league (well no one is anyway).

Jordan is still the man but his last two years with the Wizards where laughable and his post playing career for the most part has been tragic.  The Bobcats just finsihed with the worst winning percentage of all time for the regular season and it could have been a lot worse if they would have played the usual 82 game season.

Chris Hu said:
bugrimmar said:
Kasz216 said:

Jordan is still the man but his last two years with the Wizards where laughable and his post playing career for the most part has been tragic.  The Bobcats just finsihed with the worst winning percentage of all time for the regular season and it could have been a lot worse if they would have played the usual 82 game season.

Laughable? Dude, the guy averaged over 20 points per game when he played for the Wizards and he was 40 YEARS OLD. 40!! That's freaking ancient in basketball terms (see Jason Kidd, what a beast). I agree that he is pretty terrible in the front office, but as a player he was dominant his entire career.

By the way, are there any DVDs (or blu rays) of all the games the dream team played?