By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The 1992 United States Basketball Olympic "Dream Team"

Cirio said:
Chris Hu said:
bugrimmar said:
Kasz216 said:

The main reason the 2012 team wouldn't beat 1992 is all in the middle.

You can argue that 2012's point guards could take 92 since Magic was on his retirement tour and they stupidly left off Isaiah for political reasons.

You could even argue that Kobe could slow down Jordan enough so that Durant and Lebron could more then make up for it with their SF dominance, and that one of them could even up the PF game by playing some minutes in the PF. (Lebron of course.)

Centers though? Tyson Chandler and Kevin Love... vs David Robinson and Patrick Ewing.

It's arguably the biggest mismatch between the two teams.

a bigger mismatch would be PF, where barkley and malone would just maul everyone else in the post. lebron and durant are tall enough, but they don't have the strength to match up in post defense, especially against barkley's backdown.

anyway, jordan makes up for everything else. kobe isn't in the same league (well no one is anyway).

Jordan is still the man but his last two years with the Wizards where laughable and his post playing career for the most part has been tragic.  The Bobcats just finsihed with the worst winning percentage of all time for the regular season and it could have been a lot worse if they would have played the usual 82 game season.

Laughable? Dude, the guy averaged over 20 points per game when he played for the Wizards and he was 40 YEARS OLD. 40!! That's freaking ancient in basketball terms (see Jason Kidd, what a beast). I agree that he is pretty terrible in the front office, but as a player he was dominant his entire career.

Atually he was mostly 38 and 39 the most time he played with the Wizards since he turned 40 towards the end of his last season on February 17, 2003 and since the team didn't make the playoff that year barely played three month in his 40's.  The team didn't make the playoff a year before that either.  So, yeah one of the greatest players of all time finishing his last two season on a team that didn't even come close to the playoffs is pretty laughable.  Jason Kidd should have finished his career in Dallas but at least he went to a team that has a slightly better change of making it further into the playoffs then the Mavs next season.

Around the Network

'92 Dream Team is the best sports team ever... forget Basketball. They are the single best full team of any sporting event to ever be created. Pure win in any sense of the word... and above all Jordan stood tall. I don't care what combination you put today's team vs them, it would still have been a 30 or more point win.

Besides the sheer amount of talent on the original Dream Team, people forget about how the rules were before 1999. Most of the 2012 players would get bullied out to the perimiter, and since the 1992 team were taller overall, jumpshots would be extremely difficult.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

adriane23 said:
Besides the sheer amount of talent on the original Dream Team, people forget about how the rules were before 1999. Most of the 2012 players would get bullied out to the perimiter, and since the 1992 team were taller overall, jumpshots would be extremely difficult.

Exactly. The rules have changed in the 20 years since; basketball was defnitely more  pysical and the fouls that are called now require a lot less intensity and force than what  would have earned you a whistle in 1992.

The Dream Team was blowing out teams by 30 to 60!!!! point margins with ease. No, nothing will ever be better than that team. All clutch killers on that squad. The 2012 team maybe has 2 of those.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

MontanaHatchet said:
Is there any team on earth more dominant than the U.S. Men's National Basketball team?

Yes, the U.S. Women's National Basketball Team. lol

Around the Network
SaviorX said:
adriane23 said:

Exactly. The rules have changed in the 20 years since; basketball was defnitely more  pysical and the fouls that are called now require a lot less intensity and force than what  would have earned you a whistle in 1992.

The Dream Team was blowing out teams by 30 to 60!!!! point margins with ease. No, nothing will ever be better than that team. All clutch killers on that squad. The 2012 team maybe has 2 of those.

I assumed they would be playing by international rules.   Which haven't changed really. 

Also, the foreign teams of today would DESTROY the foreign teams of the Dream Teams day.

International basketball has RIDICULIOUSLY improved since then.

I mean... who was even the best Foreign Born player that played in the 1992 olympics?   Vlade Divac?

Back then there were like... 20 foreign players total.   Now they make up 20% of the NBA.

Also worth noting... the 1992 Dream Team's entire strategy was basically "Lets use our superior size and atheleticism to grab rebounds and run fast breaks."

The 2012 team, while not as skilled, is far more atheletlic.

I think the 1992 team would win... but not by playing like it did in the Olympics...

and I think it'd be close.   In a 10 game series i'd put it at a 7-3/6-4 Split.

MontanaHatchet said:
Is there any team on earth more dominant than the U.S. Men's National Basketball team?

U-Conn's womens basketball team?

I mean, they've just recently got some challenges, but their run is ridiculiously dominant.

North Carolina's womens soccer team won something like 14 championships in 17 years or something crazy like that too.

The Celtics of course had 11 championships in 13 seasons... but lets be honest... they had a lot of challenges.

Kasz216 said:
SaviorX said:
adriane23 said:

I assumed they would be playing by international rules.   Which haven't changed really. 

Also, the foreign teams of today would DESTROY the foreign teams of the Dream Teams day.

International basketball has RIDICULIOUSLY improved since then.

I mean... who was even the best Foreign Born player that played in the 1992 olympics?   Vlade Divac?

Back then there were like... 20 foreign players total.   Now they make up 20% of the NBA.

Also worth noting... the 1992 Dream Team's entire strategy was basically "Lets use our superior size and atheleticism to grab rebounds and run fast breaks."

The 2012 team, while not as skilled, is far more atheletlic.

I think the 1992 team would win... but not by playing like it did in the Olympics...

and I think it'd be close.   In a 10 game series i'd put it at a 7-3/6-4 Split.

Nobody on this years team is close to retirement on the 1992 team Bird and Magic pretty much where already retired.  Still think the 1992 Olympic team was the best the 1972 team was the worst no one of the team was even close to being a hall of famer no wonder they lost to the soviets by one point in gold metal game they really should have lost by more then that.

chris212223 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Yes, the U.S. Women's National Basketball Team. lol

Was going to say this, the point spread is even greater.

I wasn't old enough to watch the Dream Team play but many people overrate the team, they were playing very very weak competition. The International basketball scene is much tougher now than it was in 1992. It was probably the equivalent of playing a weak college team for the dream team. Now you have international teams that have multiple NBA calibur players.

I think the Dream Team would beat the current team but for some reason I am thinking the current team would obliterate the 1992 interational teams even more.

Chris Hu said:
bugrimmar said:
Kasz216 said:

The main reason the 2012 team wouldn't beat 1992 is all in the middle.

You can argue that 2012's point guards could take 92 since Magic was on his retirement tour and they stupidly left off Isaiah for political reasons.

You could even argue that Kobe could slow down Jordan enough so that Durant and Lebron could more then make up for it with their SF dominance, and that one of them could even up the PF game by playing some minutes in the PF. (Lebron of course.)

Centers though? Tyson Chandler and Kevin Love... vs David Robinson and Patrick Ewing.

It's arguably the biggest mismatch between the two teams.

a bigger mismatch would be PF, where barkley and malone would just maul everyone else in the post. lebron and durant are tall enough, but they don't have the strength to match up in post defense, especially against barkley's backdown.

anyway, jordan makes up for everything else. kobe isn't in the same league (well no one is anyway).

Jordan is still the man but his last two years with the Wizards where laughable and his post playing career for the most part has been tragic.  The Bobcats just finsihed with the worst winning percentage of all time for the regular season and it could have been a lot worse if they would have played the usual 82 game season.

he was 40 when he played for the wizards..... why are you comparing that? and his career as an executive has nothing to do with his career as a player.