By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New PS3 models 16GB, 250GB, and 500GB plus rumored prices!

leo-j said:
yes but sony probably would want anyone and everyone to subscribe to ps plus, sort of how everyone is subscribed to xbox live.. PS plus is a tremendous deal.. and it really is a rip off to sony mostly..

PSN+ is a big profit for Sony or they wouldn't be doing it. Its all digital content you're recieving which has almost not cost associated with it beyond the original development. Costs next to nothing have on servers and deliver to user. Plus, the discounts for other digital content like movies and such are just sales that drive extra purchases (i.e. revenue).

Xbox has thrived well with a low-end sku along with their very high Live membership. I don't see how a 16GB console will negatively impact PSN+ subscribership.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:

Wouldn't this make more sense?

16GB: $150 (they should be able to pull this off if there's only 16GB in it)

250GB: $199

500GB: $250

Pricing seems odd.

They may figure that $179 will push demand to as much as Sony could supply, so no need to drop it lower. Or perhaps, $179 looks about as good as $149 to consumers, so this is the lowest point to go for a best balance of profit and sales.

Just like a couple other people said...

16GB = $179 (or $149 if they want to set the gaming world on fire!)
250GB = $199
500GB = $249

but also...

500GB + Move = $299 (or $279 to say even cheaper than Wii U's expected price)

Good news all around for gamers, cheaper and more efficient PS3 hardware!

donsterydo2 said:
superchunk said:

They're already losing marketshare... they couldn't justify not doing a price cut vs a PS3 model w/ Bluray, free online, AND 4x the storage.

And so what? What is now the difference? If they cut the price and sell 2m consoles more it will change nothing when there is almost 70m X360 on the market already. Sony will be bleeding money just to make totals the same as X360 and in the same time Microsoft will be making tons of cash from every X360 sold. It's not like whithout price cut their sales will fall 50% next year.

Sony nor MS will be losing money with these prices and both are down YoY by double digits.

They will drop price before holidays, especially with Sony putting out a newer and even cheaper to produce model.

MS can't be seen to cost more than Sony considering Sony has far more hardware value points in terms of Bluray, free online, and larger storage. Just accept that it will happen and be happy.

If those prices are true, can the ps3 have a record black Friday in the U.S.? Come on guys, a 16gb PS3 is obviously meant for casual gamers.

I wonder if MS will cut the price. I'm hoping for at least 8gb XBox 360 for $149.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
superchunk said:
donsterydo2 said:
superchunk said:

They're already losing marketshare... they couldn't justify not doing a price cut vs a PS3 model w/ Bluray, free online, AND 4x the storage.

And so what? What is now the difference? If they cut the price and sell 2m consoles more it will change nothing when there is almost 70m X360 on the market already. Sony will be bleeding money just to make totals the same as X360 and in the same time Microsoft will be making tons of cash from every X360 sold. It's not like whithout price cut their sales will fall 50% next year.

Sony nor MS will be losing money with these prices and both are down YoY by double digits.

They will drop price before holidays, especially with Sony putting out a newer and even cheaper to produce model.

MS can't be seen to cost more than Sony considering Sony has far more hardware value points in terms of Bluray, free online, and larger storage. Just accept that it will happen and be happy.

Those are great prices. Amazing if true. I was expecting $199, $249 and $299. We're talking about an $70 cut.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

like I said in another thread, if would make sense if the 16gb model was launched to push sony's recent acquirement of gaikai, and they decide to stream the majority of ps1/2/3 ip onto the console.. and push physical game sales with it..

mM
leo-j said:
like I said in another thread, if would make sense if the 16gb model was launched to push sony's recent acquirement of gaikai, and they decide to stream the majority of ps1/2/3 ip onto the console.. and push physical game sales with it..

This would be a good idea. Maybe if Galkai can be subscribed to alone, without PS+... Sony could bundle in a free 3 Month trial of the service with the 16GB model.

That would be some aggressive price cutting from Sony, especially with the 16GB they want a small piece of the casual market.

I'm excited to see more info in relation to the design of the new slim, and how it's received. Hardware sales will be very interesting again!