By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - 7 Franchises That need to Die

i mostly agree.

pac man is fine, let him live.

mario shouldnt die, but he should be much much more limited. i would say 1 platformer per year, and two other games which his cast is the main component (basically a small appearance like in smash doesnt count).

never played tomb raider.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Around the Network

Really, I do think Mario is way overused. He's is milked more than Final Fantasy.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Oh he did not just used the word "Smash" in the list...Oh he just did ****ing not.

CAlm down roflinator.

^_^

I agree with Tomb Raider, each and every game the interpretation of "Tomb" becomes looser and looser.

Medal of Honor and other WWII games are now possibly longer than the actual war they're representing... so yeah I agree..

Tony Hawk, I just dunno why they ever made it so..

Spyro just always seemed bland to me..

Pac-man hasn't been interesting at all since like... 1986

But Mario, I'm sorry most Mario games, with the exception of the sports games, mix it up enough each time to stay somewhat fresh. Marios overused for all those damn spin offs but if they restricted him to Smash bros, Mario Kart and handheld/console adventures only, with an occasional sports or side quest, I think he'd be just fine

Around the Network

I've been wanting Tony Hawk (the series, not the man) to die since Tony Hawk Underground 2. Then I played Tony Hawk American Wasteland, and there after I REALLY wanted it die. =P

outlawauron said:
Really, I do think Mario is way overused. He's is milked more than Final Fantasy.

at least FF has different characters and stories.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Hated SMG but Mario should stick around. Maybe he shouldn't be whored out as much. Now replace Mario with Halo!!!!

ctk495 said:
i agree except for mario and Tomb Raider just because Lara is hot.

Exactly what I was going to say. How can you retire Mario, and I still like the Tomb Raider Games.

So, it would be better that Nintendo would make generic games each with new franchise, than new games with Mario franchise?
Mario Kart etc. wouldn't be any worse or any better with new characters, but the thing is, that you know what to expect when you see a game with Mario franchise. As i earlier used Strikers as an example, i continue with it, people who buy Mario Strikers, expect a lot different game from PES or FIFA. If Nintendo would have made the game without Mario franchise, a lot of football fans would be buying the game thinking it would be similar with the forementioned games.
Stunt Race FX could have been Mario Race FX, but since the game was realistic racing game, it didn't fit the Mario genre. Pokemon could have been Mario Monsters, Brain Training could have been Dr. Mario's Brain Training instead of Dr. Kawashima. Wii Sports could have been Mario Sports, Wii Play been Mario Play. Wario Ware could have been named Mario Ware. Excite Truck/Bike -> Mario Truck/Bike. Or why not Mario Kong Country, Mariotroid Prime, Super Mario Peach, Project Mario, Disaster Day of Mario, Mariodogs, Wawe Mario Race, PikMario etc. Nintendo has so many franchises already, that it would be stupid to make new ones for every new game and not to use the old ones, especially when "Mario" is the type of games Nintendo likes to make, meaning games that aren't serious, just for plain fun and that is something that people expect from "Mario". I do agree, that Mario Party is something that we have seen a little too often.

@Soccerdrew: So, you're saying that Nintendo should limit Mario, but still use Mario more than they do?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.