By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - 7 Franchises That need to Die

I agree with most except Tomb Raider and Spyro. Tomb Raider has always been a good series, not as popular as before but it still is pretty good, and Lara Croft is an icon now. As for Spyro, it has loads of potential! Spyro just needs 1 awesome game and it could become a great franchise.

Around the Network

profanity removed

-ssj12

''Hadouken!''

I remember watching Spyro commercials ......seem like ages dont it. I love the games though.

^_^

really no Crash Bandicoot on the list....really?

Crash was the best (own most) Loved CTR

^_^

Around the Network

Mario will never die! Hahaha

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

i think mario party should die, but how could there be a gaming industry with no mario platformers and mario karts :(

i'd like mario party, spyro, crash, dynasty warriors, medal of honour, smackdown, sonic and splinter cell to die.

skeezer said:
Crash was the best (own most) Loved CTR
ok,yeah back in the day,naughty dog is amazing...after that...no...Crash of the titans?...cmon...time to give it a rest

Bodhesatva said:

Actually, guys, he doesn't even say that Mario games are bad. In fact, he implicitly admits many of them are very good: "We wouldn't ask Disney to euthanize Mickey Mouse, and Mario doesn't need to disappear either."

His problem is entirely with the fact that there are so many Mario games. He just wants new Nintendo characters. My guess is that he'd be completely fine with Super Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers if they happened to feature other characters. It isn't that Mario games are bad, it's just that he's personally tired of seeing Mario, whether his games are good or not.

I'm not saying that's a fair argument, I'm just saying that's what he's saying.  

You're absolutely right. But what he says, is something i don't understand. Usually the thing he was saying, only means he haven't played the games. One of the reasons why Mario franchise is so strong is because people know what to expect from Mario games. Game being "Mario game" means good gameplay for fun, something that isn't meant to be taken seriously (maybe with the exception of Smash Bros.). There's no realism in Mario games and it's never have even been the intention in Mario games. With Mario games you know what you get and they still surprise you. If the Mario games would be made with some other characters, and with different franchise, you'd always would have to wonder what kind of game is it. Think of it, how many would have expected different kind of game, if Strikers would have been just Strikers Charged Football instead of Mario Strikers Charged Football. And if Nintendo would be milking the franchise, it would propably have been dead for ages. I'm not arguing you, i was just trying to give a view why i see his way of thinking flawed. @Ion-storm: Since we talk about Nintendo, i would have them both, a new IP and a new game in Mario series. You see, Nintendo makes both, sequels (which by the way are in many occasions more different to their predecessors than most companies new IP:s) and new IP:s.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

What the article said about Mario:

"Super Mario Party Kart Smash Bros. Brawl: Since the Mario character was introduced in Donkey Kong in the 1980s, he's appeared in more than 100 video games - which is about 75 too many. When Nintendo's starts a non-Mario, non-Zelda, non-Star Fox series - such as Animal Crossing and the excellent Pikmin - the results are usually excellent, but too often the company falls back to its safety zone of another Mario game, whether he's the focus or just making a cameo appearance. We wouldn't ask Disney to euthanize Mickey Mouse, and Mario doesn't need to disappear either. But with the groundbreaking creative possibilities of Nintendo Wii and the Nintendo DS, how about just one Mario appearance per year and more energy spent on new characters?"

I just want to smack this article writer over the head. Mario is a FRANCHISE, not a genre or series. Nintendo drop him in every other game they make because he's one of the most recognizable mascots in the world. Saying that Nintendo needs to stop branding games with the Mario moniker is like telling McDonald's, Inc. that Ronald & co. are, "like, really played out, man."

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom