By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Watch + Rate BATMAN & ROBIN (1997) -- Batman Film Celebration Week

Rate BATMAN & ROBIN

0 - WORST MOVIE EVER 4 12.50%

1 - It was baaaad... 14 43.75%

2 - pooor 3 9.38%

3 - MEdiocre! 4 12.50%

4 - Good film LOL 2 6.25%

5 - Amazing movie trololol! 5 15.63%

Total:32

I remember watching this when it came out and not even finishing the movie. I think this was the first time that has ever happened when it comes to Batman. I even watched the old, corny ass Adam West Batman movie and I kinda enjoyed it. With this one, I was like, "Fuck this movie." I couldn't comprehend how they got everything so wrong.

I watched it again a few years ago and a crazy thing happened: I kinda enjoyed it. If you ask me, it's actually a better film than Batman Forever....in a few departments. There's an actual story. Freeze has a bit of a backstory. The Alfred/McGreggor Syndrome storyline was kinda interesting. They totally got Bane and Poison Ivy.....and everything else wrong, too. But somehow, when I look at this film with veeeeery low expectations, it's one of those films that's so bad, it's good. I don't feel like cutting myself when I watch this one.

Around the Network

And Jeremy Jahns did a review on this one, too!

I actually agreeee D21...it's better than FOREVER for me too.

At least this one knows it wants to be a cheesy comedy.

And also the story in this one is better than FOREVER which had a non-existent story,

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

This movie was so bad for me that I had to see another one immediately in the next door projection just to forget it ever happened.

5/5 best movie ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network

Theres actully an amusing video on youtube where Joel Shcumacher appologies to the fans for this picture. That was slightly amusing.

However... I dont just take things at face value. Its worth upacking what happened here.

What I'm saying is that Batman Forever was probabily considered a huge success because it must of made a lot of money in merchandising.

I've seen The Number 23 which was also directed by Joel Schumacher and I thought it was pretty good.

The quetion is why Batman Forever was made that way?? The reason being Tim Burton's Batman Returns was not that well recieved. I enjoyed Batman Returns, but somethings dont work. Such as the penguins with rocket launchers on their backs in the last scenes.

And the film was not kid friendly. So Warner Bros commissioned Batman Forever with Joel (and produced by Tim Burton's company). I personally feel its not his fault Batman Forever and Batman & Robin wernt that good. I feel the people who are accountable are Warner Bros for giving him a mandate to make the films this way for mechandising purposes.

The other point is some stuff in these films is actully very good. I really enjoyed watching Bruce's relationship with Dick (when their not Batman and Robin). Bruce does his best to protect someone he feels is his younger brother, and he really does suffocate Dick. I really enjoyed when Bruce ask Alfred whether he thinks hes 'arrogrant, controlling, pig headed'; and Alfred says he is.

For me Joel got that part right. What is Batman if not an attempt to control death? The death of his parents which he continues to avenge... I thought the relatonship between Bruce and Alfred was also really well done. Michael Gough and George did a good job here, Bruce unable to let go of his inability to control death.

Personally I feel, yes they are bad films on some level, but there are somethings that are really well done. I think Joel is a very good director, he simply followed the mandate given to him by Warner Bros; and what choices did they have, Batman Returns didnt work, it was a good film, but it didnt work in positioning the character for better films.

This is the problem I have with Nolan as well... He made three films, which dont account for all the variabiles in comics. And now hes says hes done with Batman. Fine. Why dont you make your own series of films with your own characters? Batman now has to be rebooted because Christopher Nolan has completed a trilogy of Batman films. If he didnt want to make this Batman available for further feature films, et al. Why bother making them in the first place. Just because hes finished with Batman, it dosent mean that the series has to finish.

Yeah. I think Nolan could have just told another Batman story instead of telling "The Last Batman Story". That way, other directors and actors could keep it going by doing a James Bond style of movie making. Give us the character we love in new and exciting stories. No need for continuity.

SnakeDrake said:
The only good thing about this movie was that it gave us this review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5FhsA1RlGg

This is all one needs to know...

And the fallout...

Dallinor said:
Arnold Schwarzenegger was the only redeeming feature of this movie for me. He played his part completely tongue in cheek and with his costume design with the bald head, face-paint and blue contacts his image was perfect.

Pity the script and direction was just awful.

Also I found Chris O'Donnell (Robin) really, really annoying!

If he played Mr. Freeze as a Terminator, it would work.  But for someone who was cold, unemotional and heartless, he showed a LOT of emotion (relatively speaking).

Never actually watch the entire movie but is definitely the worst of the new Batman movies. But still more watchable then the Batman movie and show from the 60's with Adam West which is just too cheesy.