By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - $400 X360+Halo bundle revealed. No X360 price cut despite PS3 Slim and WiiU launches?

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/13/halo-4-xbox-360-console-bundle-revealed-costs-a-legendary-400/

This bundle includes a Halo 4 themed 320GB X360, Halo 4 (duh), an extra controller and a headset.

Anyway, what I find interesting is that this gives away that there is no price cut planned for this holiday season. The same happened last year when the bundles were an indicator they weren't cutting the price.

I know MS rather add value to their products than lose profits, but it begs the question, with WiiU and a cheaper PS3 slim releasing this holiday season, is MS doing the right thing? Is it OK to sacrifice marketshare both for this and next gen to increase profits one more year?

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network

it is better to sacrifice profit to get more marketshare?

I'm not so sure that MS needs to cut prices. If the ugle PS3 Slim2 is real it may stay the same price. The Wii U isn't a guaranteed hit. MS can cut prices at any time, but I don't think MS will unless they have to. If the PS3 gets a price cut and the Wii U is a hit then MS can react with a price cut at that time.

Lostplanet22 said:
it is better to sacrifice profit to get more marketshare?

That's what I'm asking. I guess your answer is no.

But marketshare is a long term investment, I think they could've sold much more last and this holiday season and they could've hurt PS3 and WiiU more if they reduced the price. That in turn would've made the Xbox brand stronger, which is always good before launching a next gen console. It could bring more X720 sales and it may be more beneficial to do that in the long term.

MS make a lot of profits on HW as it is and I think it would've been smart to cut the price last year. They'll still profit on HW and get more Xboxes out there.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

kain_kusanagi said:
I'm not so sure that MS needs to cut prices. If the ugle PS3 Slim2 is real it may stay the same price. The Wii U isn't a guaranteed hit. MS can cut prices at any time, but I don't think MS will unless they have to. If the PS3 gets a price cut and the Wii U is a hit then MS can react with a price cut at that time.

A PS3 price cut is guaranteed. They can't sell the 16GB model for the same price they are selling the 160GB one today. They'll at least sell the 16GB model for $199 while keeping the other two &249 and $299.

Around the Network

that is a beautiful paint job

CGI-Quality said:
Price cut or not, I was waiting on the confirmation and now I have it! Spending SO MUCH dough this Fall!

Do you have every single limited edition console released? Everytime a new console ltd edition comes out you seem to say you're gonna buy it.

Tease.

This doesnt mean anything, they can still cut the price.

They could be cutting the price. The Halo console could just cost more than the standard console. In the bundle, the 320G Halo console costs about $299. But a standard 320g console could be lower than that.

Since it looks like Xbox is the only one that won't have some new piece of hardware this year, I'd assume their annual sales are going to be much smaller than PS3 and Wii U during the holidays. PS3 might sell 15 million this year with the new model hitting the store shelves. No idea what the Wii U will sell, but it should be a hit during the holidays.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(