By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U is 'definitely more powerful than 360 and PS3' - Scribblenauts dev

Aielyn said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
It's 1.5 gb RAM.

No, it's 2 GB RAM (according to rumours). Even if a portion of it is "dedicated to the OS", it doesn't mean it isn't there.

I recall reading someone saying that Nintendo usually puts more RAM in the actual console than they do in the initial dev kits. I think they said it's usually double. Will be interesting to see if it's true.

Just because it has 512MB reserved for the OS it doesn't mean that amount of RAM is not included in the specs. You can't asume that they are using an extra 512MB of RAM for the OS. And rumours say that it will have 1.5GB of RAM in final hardware.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

i dont care if the WiiU more powerfull than PS3 and X360, as long Nintendo can deliever a great 3rd party IP's (not port) to me as they promise, i had no doubt to purchase it.

zarx said:
Just because it has 512MB reserved for the OS it doesn't mean that amount of RAM is not included in the specs. You can't asume that they are using an extra 512MB of RAM for the OS. And rumours say that it will have 1.5GB of RAM in final hardware.

You misunderstood - I was saying that the extra 512MB is still there, whether it's reserved for the OS or not. I wasn't assuming that it was 2GB RAM + 512MB RAM for OS.

But then, there seems to be multiple rumours. I also don't understand why the rumour with 1.5 GB of RAM (which doesn't claim that any of it is dedicated to the OS) has been merged with the rumour with about half a gig of RAM being dedicated to the OS. The latter came from an Ubisoft employee that said that the Wii U would have 2 GB of RAM.

Perhaps some wires got crossed along the way, and the dedicated RAM is part of the 2 GB, bringing the usable amount down to the other rumour's 1.5 GB. Meanwhile, I don't understand why they'd provide 3 GB of RAM in the dev kits, but only 1.5 GB of RAM in the actual system. Including a bit extra, I'd understand - it provides room so that they can get it working first, and then optimise to get it within the available RAM... but surely they wouldn't need twice the RAM, in this context, for that?

Andrespetmonkey said:
Conegamer said:
Well, there's no real surprise here. The only people who disagreed were 'anonymous' sources. Everyone who was actually named who spoke about the WiiU knew it would be much more powerful. I mean, 2GB RAM? Modern GPU? All we need is the clock speeds for the CPU to confirm it, but so far it's looking very powerful indeed.

It's 1.5 gb RAM.

But yeah, it's clearly going to be more powerful than this gen. The real question is how will it compare to Orbis and Durango, and I think it's unlikely that the Wii U will be close to achieving what these other 2 will (physics, graphics etc.). I think it'll probably be able to run the same games, but with a lot of drawbacks. That's mostly speculation though.

I thought it was 3GB RAM with dev. kits, half in retail versions, and then 1/2GB for the OS? 

In addition, Nintendo aren't stupid enough to pull another Wii and be miles behind in terms of technical ability next-gen, and Sony/MS can't afford to make a loss on the system. So expect next-gen to be like GC/PS2/Xbox, minor differences, even if the WiiU is behind. As such, it'll likely get most of the multiplat ports.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Andrespetmonkey said:

It's 1.5 gb RAM.

But yeah, it's clearly going to be more powerful than this gen. The real question is how will it compare to Orbis and Durango, and I think it's unlikely that the Wii U will be close to achieving what these other 2 will (physics, graphics etc.). I think it'll probably be able to run the same games, but with a lot of drawbacks. That's mostly speculation though.

Sounds good to me.  The competition cannot reasonably be that much more powerful.  Those two will likely be what the XBox and Gamecube were to the PS2 - which had  technically inferior version but still exact versions of the same games running on the same engines.  This won't be some kind of PS360 vs Wii disaparity - that's just wishful thinking.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
zarx said:

You misunderstood - I was saying that the extra 512MB is still there, whether it's reserved for the OS or not. I wasn't assuming that it was 2GB RAM + 512MB RAM for OS.

But then, there seems to be multiple rumours. I also don't understand why the rumour with 1.5 GB of RAM (which doesn't claim that any of it is dedicated to the OS) has been merged with the rumour with about half a gig of RAM being dedicated to the OS. The latter came from an Ubisoft employee that said that the Wii U would have 2 GB of RAM.

Perhaps some wires got crossed along the way, and the dedicated RAM is part of the 2 GB, bringing the usable amount down to the other rumour's 1.5 GB. Meanwhile, I don't understand why they'd provide 3 GB of RAM in the dev kits, but only 1.5 GB of RAM in the actual system. Including a bit extra, I'd understand - it provides room so that they can get it working first, and then optimise to get it within the available RAM... but surely they wouldn't need twice the RAM, in this context, for that?

Dev kits require extra RAM for debugging tools etc

@TheVoxelman on twitter

zarx said:
Aielyn said:
zarx said:

Dev kits require extra RAM for debugging tools etc

Way to completely misinterpret and disregard his point.

lilbroex said:

Way to completely misinterpret and disregard his point.

I was just answering his question about why dev kits have more RAM.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Wait, i don't think 5th cell have ever even developed for the 360 or PS3 have they? I don't think this source is the best evidence in favor of the Wii Us capabilities.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

whacker41 said:
Wait, i don't think 5th cell have ever even developed for the 360 or PS3 have they? I don't think this source is the best evidence in favor of the Wii Us capabilities.

Well they are developing a game for XBLA called Hybrid 

@TheVoxelman on twitter