By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PC Gaming up 230%, Console down 28% (PC Gaming Comeback!)

Are you a PC Gamer or Console Gamer

PC 82 24.40%

Console 138 41.07%

50/50 116 34.52%

Total:336
CGI-Quality said:
zero129 said:
CGI-Quality said:

In the process of it, bro. Check out my wall :)

For some strange reason i cant view your wall???

Try now. 

As a sneak peak, my planned specs are as follows:

- Intel Core i7 Quad Core [perhaps Superclocked]

- MSI or EVGA GeForce GTX 590, 680, or 690 (likley the 680 - since it's the cheapest of the three and not much weaker than them)

- 16GB DDR3 RAM

- 1TB HDD

The 680 is what most of the "next gen" demos (UE4 Elemental, Starwars 1313, Watch dogs confirmed) seem to be running on, so it seems like a good choice at the moment if money is not an issue, I would go with the GTX 670 (and maybe SLI in 3 years when games start actually needing more power for a single monitor) personally but I am poor lol. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

It's just that freakin' 690 is a beast! I'd have virtually no trouble pushing everything (save for the original Crysis) to their complete limit without a hitch.

What resolution you going to be running?

@TheVoxelman on twitter

CGI-Quality said:

1920x1080

why do you need anything more than the 680 then? A 680 can max out any game out the at the moment an ~60fps at that resolution, especially if you OC or get a factory overclocked edition. 

Saves you the issues that come with SLI as well.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

I am a hardcore PC Gamer, and I love Nintendo.

i7-3930k
ASUS P9X79
32GB Ram
Dual Corsair M4 256GB SSD for gaming (spanned for speed boost)
EVGA 4GB GTX 690 (replaced 2x GTX 580) and will get a second 690 later (Quad SLI!)
2x 1.5TB mirrored raid data backup and storage for media, 2TB external system backup drive
and until yesterday 3x 24 inch Dell U2412M on a XFX Triple Display Monitor Stand for Surround gaming, which was my only mistake, as I did not realize when I began my monitor collection I'd never be able to get a 1920x1200 3D monitor had a 5760x1200 resolution, or a 1920x3600 portrait mode resolution, I recently replaced one (center) with a ViewSonic V3D245 which while 1920x1080 will end up as what I have for my monitors, and love the 3D gaming (my 3DS prompted me to get the 3D monitor)

I also have Wii, 360, PS3 and 3DS, a pre-order on the 3DS XL (can't wait, giving the 3DS to my son now that he is "old enough" for 3D) and can't wait for the Wii U, which I will be trading in my 360 for (we keep the PS3 for blu-ray, and eventually it can serve as a 3D blu-ray player for the main tv, also a few classics on PSN, and occasionally, my favorite sports game MLB The Show).

CGI-Quality said:

jlrx said:
I am a hardcore PC Gamer

i7-3930k
ASUS P9X79
32GB Ram
Dual Corsair M4 256GB SSD for gaming (spanned for speed boost)
EVGA 4GB GTX 690 (replaced 2x GTX 580) and will get a second 690 later (Quad SLI!)
2x 1.5TB mirrored raid data backup and storage for media, 2TB external system backup drive
and until yesterday 3x 24 inch Dell U2412M on a XFX Triple Display Monitor Stand for Surround gaming, which was my only mistake, as I did not realize when I began my monitor collection I'd never be able to get a 1920x1200 3D monitor had a 5760x1200 resolution, or a 1920x3600 portrait mode resolution, I recently replaced one (center) with a ViewSonic V3D245 which while 1920x1080 will end up as what I have for my monitors, and love the 3D gaming (my 3DS prompted me to get the 3D monitor)

I envy you right now! The underlined must create a MONSTER setup!

Btw, I'm getting that ViewSonic (in addition to the BenQ XL2420TX). I'm guessing the former is a beauty?

Only one night with it so far (just awesome 3D effects, so far played in SWTOR and BF3, it has touch buttons, but the picture is very good, it is a little slow when switching modes so far as I noticed, for example as I only have one 3D monitor, it turns off my others (not a problem for now).

One thing I am quite positive of is you only need one 3D Vision IR emitter, and since the ViewSonic has it built-in, you might save yourself some money by not getting another 3D vision unit bundled in for one system, also make sure your monitors are similar in size, the viewsonic says 24in, but lists 23.6, which is a noticable difference vs my two other 24in monitors, you will want small bezel and identical sizes.

In my setup, I also left out my Haf X case, love that case, also 1000W power supply (really needed it for the GTX 580's the 690 (ie; 2x680) does not, so power consumption is much better)

Around the Network

Yup... I bought a gaming PC partly (a big part) out of current-gen staleness and exhaustion. I imagine many people have done the same, especially when considering this gen has been longer than average.

pezus said:
Nem said:

Thats a bit silly. Console games have quick save aswell (fallout 3 for example).

It all depends on the game, not the system.

I play my PC for MMO's and my consoles for the rest of the games. The reason why i dont like ot use the PC for gaming is the unconfortable position, but most of all the viruses, the crashes, the overheatings, the programs that like to tab you and the more often crashes. It just isnt as confortable and as reliable as a console.

Viruses?

Have hardly heard of that in years.

I had a nasty one a few months ago. It took me more then a week to recover

pezus said:

I don't even have an anti-virus (or a firewall, for that matter) and never have any virus or trojan related problems. If you know not to be completely reckless on the internet, there is nothing to worry about.

I know I was just kidding. I meant I had the flu.

CGI-Quality said:
zero129 said:
CGI-Quality said:

In the process of it, bro. Check out my wall :)

For some strange reason i cant view your wall???

Try now. 

As a sneak peak, my planned specs are as follows:

- Intel Core i7 Quad Core [perhaps Superclocked]

- MSI or EVGA GeForce GTX 590, 680, or 690 (likley the 680 - since it's the cheapest of the three and not much weaker than them)

- 16GB DDR3 RAM

- 1TB HDD

Beautiful setup. Two things I'd consider though:

1. The new 7970 GHz edition seems pretty decent vs a GTX 680 and may be worth consideration

2. I'd get a SSD to boot from. They're rapidly going down in price and improve loading times greatly. If price isn't an issue then I'd look at a PCI-Express based SSD.

Irrelevant: PC always makes a come back near the end of console cycles. it's well known this cycle has gone on too long so of course PC games will make a larger comeback.
PC gaming is still largely a shell of its former self ( pre xbox/ps2) and the only way PC games will come back is if all 3 console makers screw up in one cycle.