By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Cloud nine: Sony buys Gaikai for $380 million - too slow

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
crissindahouse said:
always the same people trash talking  sony^^

yep

or so...but against or for sony/microsoft, you know some names will pop up and quote someone few minutes after you read the post of the person they will quote.

Around the Network

It just goes to show you, if sony's cash flow was really that bad, they wouldn't be spending nearly 3 billion dollars in a week. It just wouldn't be possible for them to do so. After all they have billions in assets. Like a building in New york worth a billion dollars, which i'm sure will sell for way more than that once they have people bidding for it. Cut cost pocket a billion and buy stuff that will make them money in the long run. Seems like a series of good moves for sony to get back on track.

Mmmfishtacos said:
It just goes to show you, if sony's cash flow was really that bad, they wouldn't be spending nearly 3 billion dollars in a week. It just wouldn't be possible for them to do so. After all they have billions in assets. Like a building in New york worth a billion dollars, which i'm sure will sell for way more than that once they have people bidding for it. Cut cost pocket a billion and buy stuff that will make them money in the long run. Seems like a series of good moves for sony to get back on track.

It is if they are expecting a good remureneration from it.

I thought Sony was having a lot of money issues recently? Why are they spending all this money?

I'm guessing that this will allow the PS4 to have some method of BC despite the completely different architecture?

Around the Network
Smlls said:

I thought Sony was having a lot of money issues recently? Why are they spending all this money?

They're still a multi billion dollar company, they have to take risks like this, what's another few hundred million when this si something that has potential to make them billions.

Would it be wise if they held on to there money and kept doing what there doing? Of course not things need to change and with change comes money.

So now when Sony Computer Entertainment posts their next quarterly statement and shows a loss......we cant just waive our hands and say "its all the TVs".

Now we know the PS division just got 380 million less cash to work with.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
So now when Sony Computer Entertainment posts their next quarterly statement and shows a loss......we cant just waive our hands and say "its all the TVs".

Now we know the PS division just got 380 million less cash to work with.

Well technically speaking we can, this isn't going to do miracles for their TV's anytime "soon".

The problem being that it might not take off, and to be honest there are a lot of reasons why it might not take off at all, or be entirely counter productive for Sony. So they might not only fail to make money on this, but if it makes the space more competitive. It could actually cause Sony to lose money not only on software, but hardware on top of that. I really don't like this from a purely strategic stand point. This is like inviting Google and Apple into the space. While their infrastructure is far more vast, has more ins with consumers, and has more devices on the market. I just don't think Sony should be doing anything to move the market away from dedicated hardware.

It takes a lot of upfront investment to move into dedicated hardware, but virtually next to nothing in comparison to invest in server clusters. Especially when a company is based almost entirely upon that alone. As for whether Sony has the cash to be doing all of this. Yes it is true you need to spend money to make money, and one way to get out of a hole is to spend your way out. The problem with this kind of strategy is that there is real danger that it could cause much more harm then the good it might do for the company.

One way to look at is Sony being daring. Another way to look at it is Sony has become desperate. I suspect it is a little bit more of the latter then the former. I think they are making moves, because they think they have to make moves, and I am not seeing much in the way of a cohesive focused strategy. These moves could leave them in a very vulnerable position. Where they need to defend more real estate.

Makes sense to me..