By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why was GW Bush (Jr Bush) better than Obama?

Bong Lover said:
outlawauron said:
Bush didn't have a 3rd term. O_o

No one has since FDR.

Embarrasing mistake. Should read 2nd term and 1st term. Irritating that my otherwise flawless analysis now seems silly just from one stupid clerical mistake. None the less, thanks for pointing out the error.

I wouldn't call it flawless.... I mean, why would you use GNP insted of GDP? 

It's also somewhat misleading in that well spending keeps going up.

Afterall, raising spending from 10% to 20% of GDP isn't really as bad as raising spending from 55% to 60% of GDP is it?

If each presidents spending increases were all from the same baseline... you'd have a good point.

It's espiecally onerous when you consider tax revenue...

Calling Obama the largest government spender in recent memory isn't true... but that his spending is the most dangerous...

that would be accurate based on the huge gap between spending and overlays.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
richardhutnik said:

And you get back to why I am not as optimistic as you.  What I see the GOP doing is running candidates who shift further and further out of the mainstream, to get the nomination, and then build product they are marketing, which most people won't be happy with, or excited about.  It is, "Well the Democrats are bad, so need ANY option".  This shift Romney has made, got him the nomination, but risks not getting him the election.  It puts him in the same category as John Kerry as being a flip-flopper.  And the policies he proposes aren't really different from what GW Bush had at all.   Romney is also a a loser, the way McCain was.  Both lost the last primary, but then built political base that enabled them to roll off key states.  The candidates, in other words, aren't the top choices of the GOP, but the ones who lost prior.

And Obama seems to be a candidate to facilitate the sliding further and further out of the mainstream. Obama's proposals are right out of the GOP playbook, like individual mandates, and tax cuts for the middle class.  The GOP ends up opposing policies they had.  The are becoming less and less mainstream.  And then Obama runs wiht Bush foreign policy, and also infringing upon civil liberties the way GW did.

It's clear that no Republican who plays politics (that is, pretty much all Republicans except Congressman Paul) would want to compete in 2008 (coming off George Bush) or 2012 (competing against Obama), so what they had was the bottom of the barrel... I don't think this will be the case in 2016. Lots of great candidates for the GOP. Depending on how Obama's second term goes, we'll see either good or bad candidates from the DNC (if Obama's second term goes well, people will be willing to come off his hightails).

It's like Dole against Clinton, or Kerry against Bush.

Or, you know, it could just be an agreement between the parties, to not seriously gun for office during re-election.

It's a simple matter of incumbent momentum, really. Incumbent presidents who were dethroned in an actual re-election campaign either seriously screwed up during their term (emphasis on serious, because every president has incidents of varying severity, but a serious screw-up is usually a full-on failure to act, or perception thereof) or because of some unforeseen shift in the political spectrum

We'll go through defeated incumbents one at a time:

John Adams: Blatant Federal overreach, namely in the form of the Alien & Sedition act, a law very blatantly opposed to the First Amendment in a way that we've pretty much never seen since then. Also a lot of foreign meddling in a time when America had no stomach for it.

John Q. Adams: Used the so-called "Corrupt Bargain" to get into office, which people basically saw as him stealing the election

Martin Van Buren: Presided over the Panic of 1837 when America went bankrupt

Grover Cleveland: Opposed the influence of big business at a time when big business was at its absolute height of influence in American politics

Benjamin Harrison: A ruinous tariff.

William Taft: Shift in the system with TR running for another term, split the Republican electorate.

Herbert Hoover: Great Depression

Gerald Ford: Pardoning Nixon for Watergate

James Carter: Tehran Hostage Crisis

George Bush (1): Ross Perot serving as a glitch in the system

So political parties know by now to not run their most charismatic guys in these scenarios, because you have a low chance of winning historically unless something really breaks in your favor.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

BenVTrigger said:
How about the fact Obama has already spent more money than any president in history......that would be a good start

Is that adjusted for inflation?

-Edit-

Sorry, I didn't see the responses on the second page.

Mr Khan said:

John Adams: Blatant Federal overreach, namely in the form of the Alien & Sedition act, a law very blatantly opposed to the First Amendment in a way that we've pretty much never seen since then. Also a lot of foreign meddling in a time when America had no stomach for it.

John Q. Adams: Used the so-called "Corrupt Bargain" to get into office, which people basically saw as him stealing the election

Grover Cleveland: Opposed the influence of big business at a time when big business was at its absolute height of influence in American politics

William Taft: Shift in the system with TR running for another term, split the Republican electorate.

George Bush (1): Ross Perot serving as a glitch in the system.

Thanks for that, given me a lot of stuff to read in to!

As an aside, the thing that amazes me is that, if we all know that an incumbent is hard to beat, why do people like Mitt Romney spend so much money? I mean, he's not daft, he must know that he's got a cat in hell's chance of winning. Why not just wait until 2016? I can see why candidates like Paul would run, because it was about bringing a certain message to the platform, or people like Gingrich, because it's a publicity stunt. But Romney seems to really want this job...

Maybe Romney knows that, with a stronger bunch of candidates, he has less chance of getting the nomination... so he knows he's bottom of the barrel, which means he knows that he has even less chance of winning the Presidential.

Just seems like such an odd decision for the man.

It's downright disturbing to see the outright lies people believe aboot George W. Bush.

"Success really is decided at birth, and your life will never be better than it is right now. Sorry about that."

Around the Network

Things that have happened under the "Liberal Presidency of Obama"

More drilling for Oil

Stock market up from 7000 to 12k (highest its ever been)

Record profits as a result of high stock market caps.

Ermmm, let me get this straight...he's a Liberal president, but he has pandered repeatedly to Conservative politics and had more success with it then Bush? And he's "The Worst President EVER!" something doesn't compute...lol

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.

kaneada said:

More drilling for Oil

Ermmm, let me get this straight...he's a Liberal president, but he has pandered repeatedly to Conservative politics and had more success with it then Bush? And he's "The Worst President EVER!" something doesn't compute...lol

That's not even close to being true. Dow was over 14k in 2007. (14,168 on October 9th)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

SamuelRSmith said:

Mr Khan said:

George Bush (1): Ross Perot serving as a glitch in the system.

Thanks for that, given me a lot of stuff to read in to!

As an aside, the thing that amazes me is that, if we all know that an incumbent is hard to beat, why do people like Mitt Romney spend so much money? I mean, he's not daft, he must know that he's got a cat in hell's chance of winning. Why not just wait until 2016? I can see why candidates like Paul would run, because it was about bringing a certain message to the platform, or people like Gingrich, because it's a publicity stunt. But Romney seems to really want this job...

Maybe Romney knows that, with a stronger bunch of candidates, he has less chance of getting the nomination... so he knows he's bottom of the barrel, which means he knows that he has even less chance of winning the Presidential.

Just seems like such an odd decision for the man.

There is a desire of legacy that compels rich people to end up running for president, because it is a position of power unlike really any others.  They view how the world should be, and believe that if they were in a positon of such power, they could do a good job.  With Romney, he ran in 2008, and built a base since that time.  For him to take off 4 years would be a risk.  So, given all things lining up, he decided to run, and win the nomination via process of elimination.

Thing I see happening with the GOP is their losers from the last primary period tend to get the nomination the next time the office is held by a Democrat.  I believe it has to do with groundwork being laid down from the last election.

Kasz216 said:
Jon-Erich said:
I don't see Bush or Obama being good Presidents up to this point. You know who actually was better than both of them? Bush's dad. Politically, he was very experienced. He was very diplomatic, yet never let others walk all over him. When he decided to go to war, he had a clear, justifiable objective that most could understand and got the hell out when that objective was completed. His only major downfall was the economic recession that hit right before it was time to run for President again.

It is funny... everything that Bush was hated for is the opposite of what the other bush was hated for.

Inavaded Iraq vs Didn't Overthrow Iraq.

Cut taxes and ran up the deficit vs Raised taxes

etc

You know what the really funny thing is. The whole reason Bush senior wanted to avoid an Iraqi occupation is because he did not get UN permission to do so and therefore would have been an American effort rather than a UN effort and he felt that an invasion and occupation of Iraq would lead to a lasting war that would cost too much American lives and dollars. As far as raising taxes is concerned, he was unpopular for doing it, especially since he had promised not to, but many historians believe that Bush's decision to raise taxes helped usher in the economic prosperity that was enjoyed under the Clinton administration.

It's a perfect example of somone not taking the wise advise of their parents.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

outlawauron said:
kaneada said:

More drilling for Oil

That's not even close to being true. Dow was over 14k in 2007. (14,168 on October 9th)

The DOW doesn't determine the overall health of the stock market, it is a collection of select stocks that are used as a standard.

The rest, you can go fact check on your own man...becacuse those things are completely true...

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.