By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prototype Developer gets shuts down by Activision

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/28/prototype-developer-shuts-its-doors

Prototype developer Radical Entertainment has shut down.

The news was confirmed today on Twitter by senior audio designer Rob Bridgett, who formerly worked for the studio. "RIP Radical Entertainment 1991-2012," Bridgett wrote.

In an official statement, Activision said the following:

"Although we made a substantial investment in the Prototype IP, it did not find a broad commercial audience. Radical is a very talented team of developers, however, we have explored various options for the studio, including a potential sale of the business, and have made a difficult conclusion through the consultation process that the only remaining option is a significant reduction in staff. As such, some employees will remain working for Radical Entertainment supporting other existing Activision Publishing projects, but the studio will cease development of its own games going forward."

Around the Network

I played Prototype. It was pretty good.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

I called this a week ago:

Slimebeast said:

Look at Activision who is almost only investing in Call of Duty and Blizzard games and refuse to invest in medium sized games (except for Prototype, but that will most likely soon be dropped).

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4633822

I was expecting this after Prototype 2 flopped so hard.

-.- Stupid Activision... Just because a IP doesn't sell 20M you close the studio... -.- I rather enjoyed Prototype.

Around the Network

What a shocking development. Activision dropping a studio that develops games they can't exploit annually or charge a monthly subscription fee for? I never would have seen this coming in a million years.

Slimebeast said:

I called this a week ago:

Slimebeast said:

Look at Activision who is almost only investing in Call of Duty and Blizzard games and refuse to invest in medium sized games (except for Prototype, but that will most likely soon be dropped).

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4633822

when CoD loses it's popularity activision is going to die soo fast ...

What a load of bull. Prototype 1 did perfectly well (2+ million sales is really decent for a new IP)

Prototype 2 suffered from sequel-itus that seems to attack most series, but it hasn't really been out that long and was already pushing 1 million, so could easily have reached 1.5m, which is decent.

Why shut them though? Why not give them the something else to do? The Crash Bandicoot IP is just sitting there, and although I wasn't a massive fan of Radical's direction with the series - at least they had a direction which was a decent commercial success. Why not just let them develop a new IP?

Uff. Even turning them into another Call of Duty studio would have saved a few jobs. Really nice move Activision.

edit: Oh and I think they did an awesome job with Simpsons Hit & Run as well.  They were clearly a talent studio.  Bleh.

Maybe EA or some other big publisher will buy them.

Wow I am really quite saddened by this news. It seems a few people are mostly just mentioning the prototype series however Radical while not a big name was actually a very high quality studio that made some great games.

Some of the games they made: Prototype, Scarface, Hulk + Incredible Hulk:UD, Simpsons hit and run, Jackie chan stuntmaster. Loads more as well. They were actually one of the few studios who seemed to be able to get good licensed games out. I had always hoped they would be given the chance at a Spider-man game.

I think the big problem was that with Prototype 2 it just didn't seem to fit somehow... the marketing just wasn't there for it. I loved the first game yet barely knew of the second's existence. And what I did know made it seem more like a spin-off than a sequel. Changing main character etc.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.