By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prototype Developer gets shuts down by Activision

They should have set the team to work on another new IP.

Around the Network

Oh well more people working on the next COD game

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Activision needs to realize that not every game needs to be a multimillion dollar seller to be a success. Rather than closing a talented studio, they should have gotten them to work on several smaller projects. Maybe a Crash Bandicoot game in the vein of the original trilogy. I'm sure many Crash fans would have appreciated that. The success of COD has blinded Activision and it will eventually be their undoing.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Wonder if the same fate will befall Skylanders' developer if Skylanders: Giants has a sales stutter.

WiiBox3 said:
They should have set the team to work on another new IP.

Sadly I doubt Activision would let them even attempt a new IP these days. 
Apparently they had in the last few years actually been working on Spider-man 4 but then obviously that fell through and was cancelled. 
A bourne game but Activision lost the license so it was cancelled
Scarface 2 which was cancelled. 
And a new crash bandicoot game which was.....guess what? Cancelled. 

So seems like in some ways they just got unlucky with losing SM4 and Bourne due to outside issues. No idea what happened with Scarface and Crash. Probably sales expectations weren't 5million. 

Also taken from a poster on neogaf here is a list of studios activision has closed this gen;
Luxoflux in Santa Monica, California, founded in January 1997, acquired October 2002, closed February 11, 2010.

Shaba Games in San Francisco, California, founded in September 1997, acquired in 2002, and closed on October 8, 2009.

RedOctane in Mountain View, California, founded November 2005, acquired in 2006, closed February 11, 2010.

Sierra Entertainment in Los Angeles, founded in 1979 as On-line Systems, acquired from the merger with Vivendi Games, closed in 2008.

Underground Development in Foster City, California, founded as Z-Axis in 1994, acquired in May 2002, closed February 11, 2010.

Budcat Creations in Las Vegas, Nevada, founded September 2000, acquired on November 10, 2008. Closed November 2010.

7 Studios in West Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, Utah and Taipei, Taiwan, founded in 1999, acquired on April 6, 2009. Closed in February 2011.

Bizarre Creations in Liverpool, England, founded as Raising Hell Productions in 1987 and changed name in 1994, acquired on September 26, 2007. Closed February 18, 2011.

Radical Entertainment in Vancouver, Canada, founded in 1991, acquired by Vivendi Games in 2005. Closed June 28th, 2012.

Pretty crazy amount. Especially bad is how some are acquired then in a few years closed. Also some odd ones there. Like Shaba games who it seemed were tasked with handling Spider-man. Made a fine game then were ditched and all Spider-man stuff switched to Beenox. 

It's also worth remembering that Activision are the people who ditched brutal legend when they merged then tried to block the release. They also are the ones who took black lotus, rebranded it as true crime and then dumped that too. Which I'm pretty sure did that game a fair amount of harm as it has attached the negative stigma of true crime to a new ip.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network

So, is it safe to say now that InFamous won?

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

kitler53 said:

when CoD loses it's popularity activision is going to die soo fast ...

That is what everyone said about Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero, Activision has always been like this. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

AbbathTheGrim said:

Yep.

Activision is in the business of making money. And Sony... well they're in the business.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

AbbathTheGrim said:

A studio that had been around in the industry a long time just went under with a lot of people now being unemployed and that's the comment you want to make? Good grief I wish this site had an ignore list. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Now they can pump all their money on Call of Duty.