By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How well do you think the WiiU will sell?

How will it sell lifetime?

5-9.9m (saturn) 5 4.24%

10-19.9m (dreamcast, game... 2 1.69%

20-29.9 (gamecube, xbox) 8 6.78%

30-39.9m (atari 2600, n64, megadrive) 9 7.63%

40-49.9m (snes) 13 11.02%

50-59.9m 13 11.02%

60-69.9m (nes) 20 16.95%

70-79.9m 14 11.86%

80-89.9m (gba) 10 8.47%

90m+ (the elite) 24 20.34%

Total:118
Slimebeast said:

55 million.

I believe next gen total sales will be smaller than this gen and I believe Nintendo will lose significant marketshare and the Wii U will have a shorter life on the market than PS4 and X720.

PS4 - 100 mill in 8 years until the PS5 comes out
X720 - 90 mill in 8 years
Wii U - 55 mill in 6 years

Your PS4 prediction is really high. And I seriously doubt it could do that.

(How could you even predict on it, though? It hasn't even been shown off.)

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Mandalore76 said:
S.Peelman said:
At the end of the 8th Gen I think it'll be around 82 million, so in the 80-89 range.

I don't see it catching Wii numbers, as a lot of the casual crowd and the 'impulse buys' will be lost to Nintendo. I don't see it fail either, because Nintendo fans alone secure like 40-50 million sales, and I think it'll be able to sway some of the PS360 crowd too.

As a Nintendo fan myself, of course I hope it'll be stellar and sells like 200 million, but realistically that's never going to happen :P.

Nintendo fans alone did not secure 40-50 million sales for Gamecube.  This isn't a knock on Gamecube by the way.  I owned one and enjoyed playing games on it.  I just had to point out the wrongness in that statement. 

(..)

It's not wrong per se, the Gamecube era was the Playstation 2 era. PS2 was so dominant, nearly everyone went there. Even Nintendo fans. It wager a lot of them came back (or new people became fans) for Wii and DS this Gen.

Who do you consider a 'Nintendo fan' then if not someone who supports the company while the competition is doing better?

If the people you counted in the 40-50 million were just people who flit to whatever console is the most dominant at the time, then they're not really fans of anything in particular.

i'd say 50 to 70 million

NintendoPie said:
Slimebeast said:

55 million.

I believe next gen total sales will be smaller than this gen and I believe Nintendo will lose significant marketshare and the Wii U will have a shorter life on the market than PS4 and X720.

PS4 - 100 mill in 8 years until the PS5 comes out
X720 - 90 mill in 8 years
Wii U - 55 mill in 6 years

Your PS4 prediction is really high. And I seriously doubt it could do that.

(How could you even predict on it, though? It hasn't even been shown off.)

Never underestimate the Sony BRAND.

As a comparison the PS3 will have sold around 85 million in the 7 years before the PS4 releases in Holidays 2013 (most likely).

I think that it will probably do between 70 and 130 million.

It all really depends on things we know nothing about.

It's an upgraded Wii with a tablet featuring a unique interface. I think that alone with the typical Nintendo support will carry them past 70 million. Pricing will be a factor; but so will software. Nintendo really needs to hit the market with more unique types of software that are untraditional in gaming; Wii Fit is a very good example of this done right; but Nintendo should have released more versions of it. They should expand that market on the Wii U - and make sure to secure more Just-Dance-like content.

That on top of traditional franchises like Mario, Zelda, DKC, Kirby, Kart, and Smash.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
S.Peelman said:
At the end of the 8th Gen I think it'll be around 82 million, so in the 80-89 range.

I don't see it catching Wii numbers, as a lot of the casual crowd and the 'impulse buys' will be lost to Nintendo. I don't see it fail either, because Nintendo fans alone secure like 40-50 million sales, and I think it'll be able to sway some of the PS360 crowd too.

As a Nintendo fan myself, of course I hope it'll be stellar and sells like 200 million, but realistically that's never going to happen :P.

Nintendo fans alone did not secure 40-50 million sales for Gamecube.  This isn't a knock on Gamecube by the way.  I owned one and enjoyed playing games on it.  I just had to point out the wrongness in that statement.  Personally, I chose 60-69 million as what I thought was a conservative estimate for Wii U.  Yes, they will lose the "casual"/motion-craze gamer, but I still have high hopes for the system and it's new controller screen innovation, and intend to own one as well.

GameCube was mostly because Nintendo wasn't doing what Nintendo fans wanted, luckily GBA was. GameCube was trying to be a Playstation 2 for a young crowd; and didn't feature any innovations like every single one of their other home consoles had (NES = dpad; SNES = diamond face buttons and shoulder buttons; N64 = 3D and analog; Wii = motion controls). Nintendo essentially made GameCube a console that many of us felt was not even viable as a purchase.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

80 million. Will be the SNES to the Wii's NES. By that I mean there will be parellels in terms of sales and game library. Like the SNES, the Wii U will perhaps lose some of the mass market like SNES lost some from the NES, but also like the SNES, will be more cherished by core gamers with its more robust and diverse lineup.

50-60 million, it won't have the same broad appeal as the Wii, but it should do well with a 1 year head start. Though it does have the side effect of alienating a large portion of hardcore gamers which is why I don't think it will do as well as the HD twins.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Slimebeast said:

Never underestimate the Sony BRAND.

As a comparison the PS3 will have sold around 85 million in the 7 years before the PS4 releases in Holidays 2013 (most likely).

I'm not underestimating it, I'm being realistic.  

I doubt anything can reach 100 Million next-gen.

I still think that the tables will completely turn next gen. I think the ps4 will sell the most next gen provided they keep impressing with all of it's exclusives, just look at the sales the ps3 is getting.