By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Does 3DS Not Sell Too Well In The West?

Tagged games:

MDMAlliance said:
TruckOSaurus said:
MDMAlliance said:
One reason I think is that Japan likes Nintendo more than America does. Another thing is that I think here in North America, people are more likely to blindly support the system with better specs and write off the other system as a failure, without even considering the systems capabilities. This means "PS Vita is better in every way, 3DS sucks because the PS Vita is so much stronger and the PSP is probably stronger too." I've seen it everywhere and lots of people in person think that, too. This group may be relatively small in comparison to the whole community of gamers, but it definitely seems more prevalent here.

I also agree that localization of games should occur more often, as well as globalized releases that it seems Luigi's Mansion will be getting. I think those promote sales, as well as special bundles and designs for the 3DS.

This can't be the case since PSVita is doing worst than 3DS in North America (and pretty much everwhere).

For a few weeks, the PS Vita sales were doing better in North America than in other areas.  I wasn't speaking for a large portion of the community, but I was saying that there are people (though the number may be small) that buy a system soley because they heard it had the best specs.  I know people who did, that's why I said it.

That's alright, you're forgiven on the count of your Anima avatar

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Why? no system sellers, not enough popularity, DS still alive, higher price, not groundbreaking, the 3D is not mainstream...

Look at all the games Japan is getting, if we got all those releases here I would be knee deep in 3DS games.

BasilZero said:
Economy is shit for one, and the fact that Japan gets games way earlier than the US could be the reason why as well.

Economy isn't that good in Japan either, but the second fact very well seems like a reason.  The game library for Japan seems much more expanse than here in North America.

Increase in smartphones is a reason.

However a big reason that people often overlook is that the DS only blew up in sales with the Lite + Mario + Brain age and a ton of more 'casual' stuff.

I think we need to wait and see how the 3DS does once it gets 2D mario, 3DS XL and some of the more casual things.

TBH I don't expect it will manage to do as well as the DS. I have said it before but the DS+PSP generation wasn't the normal. It was basically the perfect time for handhelds. However 3DS can still do very well in the West. Just wait a few months to see what happens.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
MontanaHatchet said:
MDMAlliance said:
One reason I think is that Japan likes Nintendo more than America does. Another thing is that I think here in North America, people are more likely to blindly support the system with better specs and write off the other system as a failure, without even considering the systems capabilities. This means "PS Vita is better in every way, 3DS sucks because the PS Vita is so much stronger and the PSP is probably stronger too." I've seen it everywhere and lots of people in person think that, too. This group may be relatively small in comparison to the whole community of gamers, but it definitely seems more prevalent here.

I also agree that localization of games should occur more often, as well as globalized releases that it seems Luigi's Mansion will be getting. I think those promote sales, as well as special bundles and designs for the 3DS.

Seriously, none of you are getting what my post meant.  I am not giving one cause to the difference, I'm saying that it is a collection of reasons, and that there are people who don't buy the system because of A, B, and C.  I even stated that the group of people who did it are likely small in comparison to the gaming community.  Everyone acts like I'm being a retard and stating that the reason sales are worse here is that people only buy for power.  I never said that, and I KNOW that already about the best selling systems are not the most powerful ones.

That is the reason a lot of people are complaining about your post. You clearly made a claim that you think Americans are more likely to blindly support the most powerful system, and are more prevelant than in other countries, and yet all evidence points to the opposite conclusion. The most powerful console has never had the best sales. Infact Japanese people are far more likely to buy the most powerful console or handheld than American customers.

In America DS sold 50mil, psp sold 20mil. In Japan DS sold 33mil, psp sold 19mil. Clearly last gen Japanese gamers were more interested in the powerful console than American gamers.

In America the ps3, the most powerful console, holds a 22.5% marketshare, and in Japan it holds a 37% marketshare, the highest of any of the countries vgchartz tracks.

Even the 3ds, with its massive amount of Japanese exclusives, has sold at a similar ratio to the psv in America as it has in Japan. 5.1mil vs 618k and 6.3mil vs 760k which is an identical ratio of 8.3 nintendo 3ds for every 1 psv sold.

I understand that in your personal life, people want the most powerful console but you can't blame people from pointing out that in the grand scheme of things the truth is actually the opposite.

A large chunk of the DS crowd has moved on to smartphones, even the kids are starting to convert.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Ipad-mania to me.

The ipad is pricey, but desirable. And with the 2 dollars games mentality things make things even harder
But it'll improve, never to golden levels of the Gameboy/ DS Lite, but will.

A lot of upcoming games will help, Mario will help a lot and Pokémon will settle a healthy place in the market.

enrageorange said:
MDMAlliance said:
MontanaHatchet said:
MDMAlliance said:

Seriously, none of you are getting what my post meant.  I am not giving one cause to the difference, I'm saying that it is a collection of reasons, and that there are people who don't buy the system because of A, B, and C.  I even stated that the group of people who did it are likely small in comparison to the gaming community.  Everyone acts like I'm being a retard and stating that the reason sales are worse here is that people only buy for power.  I never said that, and I KNOW that already about the best selling systems are not the most powerful ones.

That is the reason a lot of people are complaining about your post. You clearly made a claim that you think Americans are more likely to blindly support the most powerful system, and are more prevelant than in other countries, and yet all evidence points to the opposite conclusion. The most powerful console has never had the best sales. Infact Japanese people are far more likely to buy the most powerful console or handheld than American customers.

In America DS sold 50mil, psp sold 20mil. In Japan DS sold 33mil, psp sold 19mil. Clearly last gen Japanese gamers were more interested in the powerful console than American gamers.

In America the ps3, the most powerful console, holds a 22.5% marketshare, and in Japan it holds a 37% marketshare, the highest of any of the countries vgchartz tracks.

Even the 3ds, with its massive amount of Japanese exclusives, has sold at a similar ratio to the psv in America as it has in Japan. 5.1mil vs 618k and 6.3mil vs 760k which is an identical ratio of 8.3 nintendo 3ds for every 1 psv sold.

I understand that in your personal life, people want the most powerful console but you can't blame people from pointing out that in the grand scheme of things the truth is actually the opposite.

MY POINT was that there are people who would have bought a 3DS otherwise if they didn't stick to this console pride thing.  That is all I'm saying, and that it does indeed contribute to a sales difference.  I wasn't talking about how systems sell as a whole.  If I were, I would have never brought it up because the PSV is doing worse than the 3DS is in North America as well.  There are VERY many factors when it comes to sales, so my point is valid enough in that people do it, but it may be insignificant.  However, many insignificant points put together can actually mean something.  The systems listed that weren't so powerful and got many sales had many things to rely on for sales, and if it weren't for those type of people that only buy for power, the numbers would be HIGHER.  You can't deny that, but the numbers may only make up 1% of sales.  I don't think anyone really knows.  

Inb4Rolstatesno2dmario

I'm an advocate for motion controls, Nintendo, and Kicking freaking Toad to the Moon!

3DS Friend Code - 0860-3269-1286