By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Worst Gaming Inventions & Innovations in Recent Years

Regenerating Health

I know they were here for a while but it's been used in almost every game shooter this generation. If a game has regenerating health, then you can be certain that the game is designed for you to get shot a lot. That may be nice to some people but I missed the days were you could complete entire levels without getting shot. It added a sense of achievement.

Sure, with regenerating health, you can still complete levels without getting shot. (though most of the time this is not the case & the game is designed for you to get shot, hence the regenerating health). However, the sense of achievement is gone. Without health regen, and you finish a game without taking damage, you can look at your health bar and see the 100% which gives you that accomplished feeling. However, with health regen, the 100% isn't valuable at all, since anybody can finish a game with 100% by simply hiding behind a wall & recovering no matter how many times they were shot.

It also takes the challenge away from games. Without regen, you had to be careful because every amount of damage mattered. With health regen, none of that matters. You can just run up in front of enemies in the open, blast them, take cover, & rince & repeat. There is no planning involved. Sure you can still try to plan your route with health regen but again A.) the game is designed for you to get shot, so it may be impossible & B.) Even if you do, there's no reward for doing such a thing. With health regen, never taking any damage gives the same rewards as getting shot & recovering behind a wall X many times. That blows.

I don't have a problem with it in some games, but it's almost everywhere. Even stealth / tactical shooters have this featured... *sigh*

Around the Network

I disagree with everything on that list. No one is forcing you to buy the DLC. With the cost of making games skyrocketing,the game companies have to do something to bring in the extra dough,so I have no problem being nickled and dimed,if I love the game and content. I mean it's all subjective.all of your other things on your list,kind of relate to my arguement.

The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games, it was done to make sure people don't evade the parental lock. Ratings of games differ from country to country. Buying a game from another country that would have been rated 18+ in the USA may be 13+ in Japan.

Eye toy/ Kinect
DLC
firmware updates

Paid DLC.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Regenerating Health

I know they were here for a while but it's been used in almost every game shooter this generation. If a game has regenerating health, then you can be certain that the game is designed for you to get shot a lot. That may be nice to some people but I missed the days were you could complete entire levels without getting shot. It added a sense of achievement.

Sure, with regenerating health, you can still complete levels without getting shot. (though most of the time this is not the case & the game is designed for you to get shot, hence the regenerating health). However, the sense of achievement is gone. Without health regen, and you finish a game without taking damage, you can look at your health bar and see the 100% which gives you that accomplished feeling. However, with health regen, the 100% isn't valuable at all, since anybody can finish a game with 100% by simply hiding behind a wall & recovering no matter how many times they were shot.

It also takes the challenge away from games. Without regen, you had to be careful because every amount of damage mattered. With health regen, none of that matters. You can just run up in front of enemies in the open, blast them, take cover, & rince & repeat. There is no planning involved. Sure you can still try to plan your route with health regen but again A.) the game is designed for you to get shot, so it may be impossible & B.) Even if you do, there's no reward for doing such a thing. With health regen, never taking any damage gives the same rewards as getting shot & recovering behind a wall X many times. That blows.

I don't have a problem with it in some games, but it's almost everywhere. Even stealth / tactical shooters have this featured... *sigh*

Second post of yours I've read in less than 10 minutes that I've agreed with.  Blimey.

My biggest problem with regenerating health is just - in single player campaigns at least - it just leads to really boring gameplay.  If you've always got the safety net of "I'll just run behind this box and wait for my health to regen", it takes away the sense of urgency of having to do anything.

Sure, searching out health packs in other shooters could get tedious at times, but if it was done correctly it could add another layer of fun to the game.  Get shot a lot in the opening section of the level?  Gonna have to be extra careful about where you go and which fights you pick for the rest of it.

You're right that regenerating health has a place in some games, but it doesn't need to be everywhere.  Oh well.  Maybe popular opinion will swing back towards health packs one day.

Consoles that don't update *WHILE* the system is off, therefore requiring you to sit through a 10 minute update download before you can play a game.

Consoles still do that??  Damn, I'm spoiled with my Nintendo consoles.

Obviously Digital Distribution.
I mean, come on. Who does not want this box on their shelf?!

Significant_leap said:
Eye toy/ Kinect
DLC
firmware updates

Just the invention of the word "Eye Toy" is what annoys me...

Eye---Toy.

Eye.

Toy.

Toy---Eye.

Eye Toy.

I hate that word. >_>

IamAwsome said:
Condensing manuals down to nothing.

After the awesome TP manual, the SS one was pretty dissappointing.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile