By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo can never seem to satisfy fans

Soleron said:
F0X said:
Soleron said:

It's because they make sequels too different to their predecessors in gameplay.

I would buy games exactly like SM64/Metroid Prime/Zelda NES etc until the end of time, as often as they care to release them, but the sequels (respectively Galaxy/Prime 3 or Other M/Ocarina) were so different in gameplay that it's like the series itself is dead.

Then fans would complain that there aren't enough new ideas from Nintendo. And they would be right.

Distinguish between gameplay (which should be the same) and content like new levels (which should change).

Internet forum people will always complain, but anyone who enjoyed game X will buy game X+1 if it's the same with all new content.

Halo and CoD have it right. Make the exact same game with high production value and new world/story every year or so; rake in the sales.

The Halo strategy isn't what you suggest. Unless you claim that Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, and Halo Wars feature the same gameplay. Halo 4 is even opening up the game world a bit so it doesn't consist of linear corridors. In fact, I'd say Microsoft is following a very Mario-like strategy in terms of keeping the franchise fresh and relevant.

As for Call of Duty, you got me there. Nobody will get tired of it. Just like how nobody got tired of Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:

Which I thought they did well.

E3 is failing. It will fail. I'm pretty sure there were several articles on this.

But Pie, what you think they did doesn't really matter in this topic, it's what the gamer community at large thought that matters.

You read the interview?

He is right Nintendo fans are weird. Nintendo had a decent press conference and showed a lo things Nintendo fans care about. But you have to understand, they can´t show new IP´s when they are not developing ones. Altough it was a stupid move not to reveal the Wii U specs at least. Bu maybe they are no confident enough with this product.

happydolphin said:
NintendoPie said:

Which I thought they did well.

E3 is failing. It will fail. I'm pretty sure there were several articles on this.

But Pie, what you think they did doesn't really matter in this topic, it's what the gamer community at large thought that matters.

You read the interview?

No, I read the OP. Which is really all I should need to do.

The Gamer Community at large is spoiled. It's obvious in the way some people held grudges against Nintendo's E3 this year. 

F0X said:

The Halo strategy isn't what you suggest. Unless you claim that Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, and Halo Wars feature the same gameplay. Halo 4 is even opening up the game world a bit so it doesn't consist of linear corridors. In fact, I'd say Microsoft is following a very Mario-like strategy in terms of keeping the franchise fresh and relevant.

As for Call of Duty, you got me there. Nobody will get tired of it. Just like how nobody got tired of Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero.

I meant 1,2,3,Reach,4 are the same. That's a lot more games of the same type than Nintendo put out in the same period, if not quite yearly. ODST and Wars are indeed different and should probably recieve their own sequels.

Evidence for Halo 4 being open world? The trailer I saw was very linear.

Also I think nobody DID get tired of Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk's core gameplay. GH ran out of content (new songs people actually wanted to play on it), they tried to change up the gameplay with hardware peripherals but it was no substitute. TH ran out of people who were intersted in skateboarding as a hobby, which was beyond their control.

GH should have rationed the 'good' songs over a 10 year period.

Around the Network
AndrewWK said:
He is right Nintendo fans are weird. Nintendo had a decent press conference and showed a lo things Nintendo fans care about. But you have to understand, they can´t show new IP´s when they are not developing ones. Altough it was a stupid move not to reveal the Wii U specs at least. Bu maybe they are no confident enough with this product.

I don't think specs are the problem honestly. The WiiU is clearly capable of games like TLoU and Beyond, it is more powerful than a PS3.

Question is, where were those games to show the gamer crowd at large? Nowhere.

Soleron said:
F0X said:

Then people would also want sequels to the evolving version. There are people out there who'd love a Super Mario Sunshine sequel, and many would be disappointed if the next 3D Mario game for Wii U isn't Galaxy 3.

Yep, this.

Nintendo acted for years (1996-2006) that 3D Mario had replaced 2D Mario and it was the same. NSMB made them realise (I hope) the audiences for the games are actually different.

They've just done this to Kid Icarus, to give another example. NES =/= 3DS, but they act like "we've given you Kid Icarus".

What Nintendo has created with Uprising was, in essence, a new IP with a very different audience than the NES version. Theoretically, this means that the Kid Icarus brand name has found broader appeal.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

NintendoPie said:

The Gamer Community at large is spoiled. It's obvious in the way some people held grudges against Nintendo's E3 this year. 

Okay, you just don't get it NP.

In any issue, there are always two sides. As I said in my post to Montana, I see that gamers are spoiled, but I also argued that Nintendo needs to up its game.

Problem is, you always see one side of the coin. There's nothing I can do about that.

F0X said:

What Nintendo has created with Uprising was, in essence, a new IP with a very different audience than the NES version. Theoretically, this means that the Kid Icarus brand name has found broader appeal.

But also lost some of its classic appeal.

Here in this case it's a fair request, because he's only asking for 2 branches, which is manageable especially since one branch is just 2D (requires less resources).

His 3-branch request for Mario 3D is where Nintendo should either draw the line, or meet in a different way (using another IP like Banjo Kazooi did).

happydolphin said:
NintendoPie said:

Okay, you just don't get it NP.

In any issue, there are always two sides. As I said in my post to Montana, I see that gamers are spoiled, but I also argued that Nintendo needs to up its game.

Problem is, you always see one side of the coin. There's nothing I can do about that.

The Gamers are spoiled, I agree with you on that. Nintendo needs to clean itself up, I agree with you on that as I've stated before.

I see both sides. I just see that the Gaming Community is the worst part of the equation.