By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity review (IGN - 5.8)

January 14, 2008 - When Sonic Riders released at the tail end of the GameCube lifespan, it wasn't exactly met with the highest of regards from fans or critics alike. The gameplay was simple, the design was a bit flawed in the control department, and the end result was a racer that, while certainly a fresh take on the Sonic brand, wasn't a vital piece of software. With the now-amazing success of the Wii, as well as the continuing strong sales of PS2, SEGA is back with another dose of racing with Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. The end result, however, is more of the same, mixed with a few gameplay concepts that don't quite come through in the end. Only the most die-hard of Sonic fans need apply.

Just like its predecessor, Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity is essentially a racing game built in the world of Sonic the Hedgehog. Since the design ends up having little to do with anything Sonic-related at all (speed aside, of course) the game ends up feeling a lot like Mario Kart or Crash Team Racing, as you're basically getting a new experience teamed with classic characters. As for the story, it's pretty basic, centering around a new gravity-manipulating bracelet that the Blue Blur finds. With an evil entity out to capture it, it's up to the Sonic Team to do what they do best: Embrace speed, and raise hell.

Putting all story aspects aside, Zero Gravity is basically the same design as the original Sonic Riders experience. You'll sprint through courses, grab rings, power up your air board – why the fastest animal alive doesn't just run is beyond us…- and attempt to take first place in some of the craziest track design since Extreme G on the N64. Where the original fell short, however, Zero Gravity again fails, as the air board mechanic is a bit too slow for our liking (nowhere near the intensity of something like F-Zero GX), and the control is very clunky, using Wii tilt or PS2 analog stick to control a very slippery, floaty character at high speeds. For whatever reason, the steering isn't tight enough overall, so characters like Knuckles will often run into walls simply because they can't turn fast enough, and Wii tilt users will find that movement with the remote needs to be far more exaggerated than most games, yielding less turnout as well for their efforts. Even Sonic and the Secret Rings had tighter controls than Zero Gravity's end design.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/845/845430p1.html

While it is not a complete surprise, I enjoyed the first Sonic Riders and was really hoping for the best with this game. Sega could have had a huge hit on their hands had they used better controls (the balance board!!!) and online.. but I guess you can't expect too much from them these days. Ah well... I'll probably end up renting it anyway.

Around the Network

low score but i expect good sales

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, is bringing a friend along to the "Sonic Room of Disgrace." Who is that friend? I believe it's "Sonic RPG!" But ooooooooh, BIOWARE!! Ooooooooh!!! Well... We'll see... We'll see...

But they did give Harvey Birdman a 7. So there's that at least.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Although third partys are giving Wii some good amount of support ... I don't think this is what most Nintendo fans had in mind. : )

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Although third partys are giving Wii some good amount of support ... I don't think this is what most Nintendo fans had in mind. : )

no, we have in mind great games like No More Heroes, which we are also getting.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Just as I expected.

a.l.e.x59 said:
Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, is bringing a friend along to the "Sonic Room of Disgrace." Who is that friend? I believe it's "Sonic RPG!" But ooooooooh, BIOWARE!! Ooooooooh!!! Well... We'll see... We'll see...

I think I'm going to cut the arguing and trolling off at the head by simply saying: STFU.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

It's a shame to see all Sonic games slowly dwindle into mediocrity while Mario is still putting out quality titles. All the 'core' Sonic games like the Secret Rings on the Wii are getting average reviews or worse while Galaxy is one of the highest rated games of all time. Even the spinoffs like Mario Strikers succeeds where this can't. Give it a few years and the younger gamers won't be able to comprehend the Sonic vs. Mario rivalry.

carlos710 said:
outlawauron said:

no, we have in mind great games like No More Heroes, which we are also getting.

ME too. NMH will be the first third party Wii game I buy.

But that was annouced a long time ago wasn't it?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.