By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was your worst RPG experience? Please no trolling.

Tagged games:

Unlimited Saga.... my god that game was just UGHH

Around the Network
Wagram said:
Unlimited Saga.... my god that game was just UGHH

Looks like it was the game that killed the SaGa series also.

I can't recall a bad rpg I played...idk maybe not a terrible one, but I can definitely say less noteworthy ones. Such as, ff13 I guess, some what forgettable, not as great as past ffs, though I still enjoyed it a lot. Needless to say I haven't had such bad rpg times.

Turkish said:
-Skyrim, overhyped and underdelivered for me. The way it is on the PS3 it should never have been released. The combat is pretty mediocre too. They should have copied Demon's Souls/Dark Souls combat system, 1000x better.

-FF13, lame characters, forgettable story.

-FF12, better than FF13 but still not FF worthy, it was an alright rpg in its own right. I guess FF is only marvelous when Sakaguchi is working on it, Lost Odyssey should be called FF12 or FF13.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Attoyou said:
Turkish said:
-Skyrim, overhyped and underdelivered for me. The way it is on the PS3 it should never have been released. The combat is pretty mediocre too. They should have copied Demon's Souls/Dark Souls combat system, 1000x better.

-FF13, lame characters, forgettable story.

-FF12, better than FF13 but still not FF worthy, it was an alright rpg in its own right. I guess FF is only marvelous when Sakaguchi is working on it, Lost Odyssey should be called FF12 or FF13.

Sorry bro, the world portrayed in F12 was really great, maybe the biggest FF game? I only liked Balthier from the characters, Vaan was...uh...

Around the Network
UnitSmiley said:
Pretty much any Western RPG. I feel they are SOOO hyped and everyone is "omg these games are f@cking awesome!" and then I play them...and they are boring and unimaginative. I feel like i'm playing a single player mmo, where the "main" character has no real personality and most of the games "content" is just a bunch of side quests that are irrelevant to the story. Not saying they are bad games, they just aren't for me. I definitely prefer Jrpgs.

But for sake of specificity, my friends convinced me to buy Skyrim instead of Dark Souls..lol, havn't talked to them since.

Yeah, they're not for you, lol. The "main" character is simply an avatar of you. Most WRPGs give you significant decisions to make to help you craft that personality although in Skyrim I think the decision making is fairly limited.

If you have a PC it may be worth giving the Witcher games a go as they have a main character with his own personality but still leave a lot of decision making to the player.

FFX: Lousy story, characters, dialog, too much guidance speech and hand holding, initially very linear, unskippable cut-scenes, Blitz ball is stupid, etc... Truly the biggest disappointment I have ever encountered from an RPG.

This gen it would be Star Ocean 4. Oh my god. I couldn't find one good thing about this game.

Final Fantasy XIII

It was simply a series of linear and repetitive battles with a poor story tacked on. Fairly boring characters, no freedom, no RPG towns/hubs, no true side-quests and a bland, poorly told storyline. What made it worse was the lore is actually fairly interesting but the content and story you actually play through doesn't reflect that even a little bit. A lot of style and no real substance.

Just quickly from memory i'd go with Grandia 3. First disc was fantastic then the 2nd disc got rid of likeable party members and made the grinding requirement jump through the roof. I don't even know what they were thinking. Never seen such a strong first impression go to shit so quickly. Excuse the language.