By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It Continues... Take Two "skeptical" about Wii U

Tagged games:

oniyide said:
mike_intellivision said:
Nintendo should ever buy Take 2 or pull its development kit.

Carnival Games kept Take Two afloat ... But the IP has been over saturated and is not something that will do well. Plus, since it holds all the kiddie licensees, Take Two needs Nintendo more than the per way around to push its Nick Jr. games. If it could not sell them to Nntendo families, it could lose like it did with the MLB license.

(Of course, Nintendo would not take the risk because it could backfire.

Mike from Morgantown

oversaturated?? There were only 3 damn games on Wii and one of them was a spinoff. People just lost interest

I dont think he refers to only the wii, the ip has been exposed to handhelds and 360 with realy close yearly releases.

Around the Network
Mazty said:

It could outsell the dreamcast, then again it may not; it's too early to call it. I'd like to think it won't outsell the Dreamcast, but people are willing to spend more on tech now then ever before so it is somewhat relative.

Why would you want Wii U to bomb? That would be terrible for the industry. Even as primarily a Nintendo fan, I still want Sony and Microsoft's consoles to do well, even the Vita. Especially the Vita. The death of Sega in the hardware market was bad enough; the death of Nintendo would be catastrophic. That whole "casual" market that bought into Wii -- if they don't buy into Wii U, they're definitely not going to buy into PS4 or 720. If Wii U only sells 10 mil, Sony and Microsoft's consoles would have to sell a combined ~220 mil to have growth in the industry. Each of them would have to outsell the PS1 or the Wii! It's not happening. The market would decline, investors would pull their funds, Sony and Microsoft's gaming divisions would be in serious trouble, even if they both managed 80 mil or so hardware sales.

Thankfully, Nintendo is going to sell way more than 10 million Wii Us. Just think of it this way: every Wii U they sell takes a bit of the pressure off the PS4 and the 720 to prove that game consoles are still viable products. If the Wii U sells 40 mil, they only have to average 95 mil. If the Wii U sells 60 mil, they only have to average 85 mil between them. And so on. Much more manageable than 110 mil apiece!

fauzman said:
I think clearly most of the major devs are adopting a "wait and see" approach. If the console sells well, contrary to the majority of opinion on the net at the moment, then developers will bring games to it. Until that happens, they see it as being too risky or too much of an effort to make games designed to the tablet controllers with doubt hanging over the console. In the end, its up to whether Nintendo to make or break it. If they make the Wii U into a hit, similar to the Wii before it, then developers will flock to it.

Yet despite this theory, devs will still support the Playstation Vita in spite of poor hardware (and software) sales.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:
considering that GTA4 is still in the top 100 i think they could do just fine without Wii U

Yes, but generally businesses like to strive for more when they're not blinded by horrendous bias.

You blame bias for their skepticism?

@Oniyide. I wasn't talking about Nintendo's core audience. Rather, I was referring to Take Two catering to Nintendo's audience and offering GTA5 to them. For example, CoD has a consumer base on the Wii, they built it. Take Two, refraining to do the same, are shooting themselves in the foot. Reason being, whether things improve from the Wii, or worst case remain the same, there is a potential for 1M+ sales of GTA on the Wii line, on that can be built to more numbers. That's what I was referring to.

You know my stance on the Nintendo/3rd party who's to blame issue, and you know I agree with you. So above was aimed at TTWO and how they are not building a market of their own for the GTA franchise on the Wii line, as Ubi and Acti are doing.

HTH

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:
considering that GTA4 is still in the top 100 i think they could do just fine without Wii U

Yes, but generally businesses like to strive for more when they're not blinded by horrendous bias.

Possibly. Considering this is a low-risk endeavor (we know from the Darksiders guys that it's very easy to port a 360 version to Wii U, codewise) what else could it be? Unless they assume their audience is so petty as to disparage them for simply putting core games on Wii U in the first place, but Take Two has some clear problem with Nintendo even moreso than other third parties.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Deoz said:
oniyide said:
mike_intellivision said:
Nintendo should ever buy Take 2 or pull its development kit.

Carnival Games kept Take Two afloat ... But the IP has been over saturated and is not something that will do well. Plus, since it holds all the kiddie licensees, Take Two needs Nintendo more than the per way around to push its Nick Jr. games. If it could not sell them to Nntendo families, it could lose like it did with the MLB license.

(Of course, Nintendo would not take the risk because it could backfire.

Mike from Morgantown

oversaturated?? There were only 3 damn games on Wii and one of them was a spinoff. People just lost interest

I dont think he refers to only the wii, the ip has been exposed to handhelds and 360 with realy close yearly releases.

Exactly.  I count three in Wii, two on DS, one on Kinect, and one on 3DS.  Plus, for the wii, three is reaching the saturation point.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Khuutra said:

I'm still waiting for a reply to my bet, Mazty. That wasn't me making a prediction; I'm looking for a bet.

Give me a few months because I believe it really depends if Sony and/or MS have anything to show prior to the WiiU launch

Mr Khan said:
Jay520 said:
Mr Khan said:
oniyide said:

Possibly. Considering this is a low-risk endeavor (we know from the Darksiders guys that it's very easy to port a 360 version to Wii U, codewise) what else could it be? Unless they assume their audience is so petty as to disparage them for simply putting core games on Wii U in the first place, but Take Two has some clear problem with Nintendo even moreso than other third parties.

So, a grudge or some other sort of emotional drive?

So there are actually companies that hate money... who would have thought...

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints