By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Egyptian Supreme Court throws out the Parliament

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/court-invalidates-egyptian-parliament-2012-06-14?link=MW_latest_news

I don't have all the information here, so i can't say whether the Supreme Court is doing this properly, but it is mighty suspicious surrounding the controversy of how easily Mubarak got off (comparatively) and the presidential runoff.

Thoughts?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Its simple they just don't want the "Ekhwan muslimeen" (Islamic brotherhood) , if these people get it, its going to be really bad,

PullusPardus said:
Its simple they just don't want the "Ekhwan muslimeen" (Islamic brotherhood) , if these people get it, its going to be really bad,

Yep, no more underaged Egyptian poon for you.

I just cannot understand whats going on over there.

@p pardus - if the islamic brotherhood follows Turkey lead then it can only be a good thing. Else, if they follow more of irans or saudi then its gonna be really bad for the region.

Around the Network

Their culture is not ready for democracy. They need to get over their uncompromising religion, their tribal customs, and their factionalism.

(Obviously there are rational individuals among them but collectively, Arab society defaults to a feudal state and the only way to stop it is to rule with an iron fist (be that dictator or military council or theocracy). Maybe in two generations people will stop accepting leaders just because they are the same religion or tribe or colour as them.

Why would they want to prevent the muslim brotherhood from gaining power. As long as it is through democratic processes, just let them rule, and if they mismanage, the public will vote for another party. What's the problem?

I LOVE ICELAND!

Soleron said:
Their culture is not ready for democracy. They need to get over their uncompromising religion, their tribal customs, and their factionalism.

(Obviously there are rational individuals among them but collectively, Arab society defaults to a feudal state and the only way to stop it is to rule with an iron fist (be that dictator or military council or theocracy). Maybe in two generations people will stop accepting leaders just because they are the same religion or tribe or colour as them.

I'd argue that they are, given that they made the push to get Mubarak out, a push that was largely endogenous and was not, in its origins, a movement of the religious. The religious mobilized in response to the opening, but it needs to be seen whether the Islamic Brotherhood can govern responsibly. I would argue they at least need the chance to try before the military and elitist interests take the opportunity away.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

KungKras said:
Why would they want to prevent the muslim brotherhood from gaining power. As long as it is through democratic processes, just let them rule, and if they mismanage, the public will vote for another party. What's the problem?

Yup. Let people choose and suffer/enoy the consequences and learn their lesson. This is probably the only way.

The military has been playing a dirty game. Mubarak was just their puppet after all.

sad.man.loves.vgc said:
KungKras said:

Yup. Let people choose and suffer/enoy the consequences and learn their lesson. This is probably the only way.

The military has been playing a dirty game. Mubarak was just their puppet after all.

If I was an Egyptian I couldn't care less if every single other person in the country voted for Muslim Brotherhood, I still wouldn't want their shit enforced on me.