By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiU haz no HDD

It haz this

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

i have a 1tb external HDD, if so , this would be perfect for me, Ninte4ndo always thinking on me...:)

Why can't they just put it in there? Curse you Iwata!!

I just got a 500 GB seagate HDD for 70 bucks! and now I can't put it in my WiiU!!!

I guess I'll just have to put it in my PS3...

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

ArnoldRimmer said:
blkfish92 said:
The thing that bothers people is that HDDs are so stupidly cheap now that Nintendo shouldn't have any real reason to not include an internal 1, to save a small amount of money?

When you're manufacturing a video games console and always tried to sell even the basic hardware with a profit, several dozen additional dollars of manufacturing costs aren't "a small of money". With an additional HDD, Nintendo would have probably not been able to stay under the psychologically important 299 dollars price tag.

In my opinion, it fits perfectly with Nintendo's usual strategy: Don't include costly features that only a fraction of the audience is actually going to use.

Oh I know all about why I'm just trying to see why in a different angle.

Make a better OP next time and don't stir up people against certain users.

Around the Network
ArnoldRimmer said:
sergiodaly said:
will wii U read NTFS(huge doubt here since NTFS is a MS file system), fat32, ext3, ext4 or none of them and use a proprietary File System?

will it read partitioned HDDs or will it need to be the whole disk due to safety and piracy measures?

this questions are important as well.

I don't see much security being gained by those measures. In my opinion, since it is a standard external USB drive, people will expect to be able to use those drives for other things as well, so I think it will either use a standard file system (like they already did with the SD cards in the Wii) or the WiiU will create a special fixed size partition/file. I'd bet on the first though.

one level of security don't work by it self. security is gained with several levels of protection, this is a valid one. i ask the question because i found it relevant. one thing is certain... nintendo will apply some kind of protection on the files, and that implementation can come (or not) with a restriction in terms of usability of the whole HDD. if this protection take the whole disk, that ain't much of a advantage, i would rather use one inside the console! besides USB 2.0 has a lower bandwidth than sata interface. if the HDD is used to load DLC levels, the loading time can be way bigger than what we are used to. all this comes to mind when we analyze this option by nintendo.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4