By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if New Super Mario Bros came out on the N64?

Tagged games:

Would have been somewhat awkward to play with the N64 controller, but you simply cannot doubt the impact of a 2D Mario platformer on a console sales. I give it another 5-7 million in sales.

Around the Network

It would have been one of the best selling games on the N64 and good times would have been had by all.

The End

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

sales don't mean they won or lost a gen.. its about what gamers talk about, N64 won that gen because when gamers reminisce about that gen they talk about mario 64, mario party, paper ,mario, zelda, perfect dark, conquers bad fur day, golden eye.

very few PS1 exclusives are in the list, but MGS is in there, but for the most part people remember the n64s awesome games.

this is also why the wii didn't win this gen. half the games people talk about are not on the wii, even though the wii sold more then 360 and PS3 almost combined.

usrevenge said:
sales don't mean they won or lost a gen.. its about what gamers talk about, N64 won that gen because when gamers reminisce about that gen they talk about mario 64, mario party, paper ,mario, zelda, perfect dark, conquers bad fur day, golden eye.

very few PS1 exclusives are in the list, but MGS is in there, but for the most part people remember the n64s awesome games.

this is also why the wii didn't win this gen. half the games people talk about are not on the wii, even though the wii sold more then 360 and PS3 almost combined.

So generations are won by "what is most talked about?" great logic.. How can you even begin to measure something so ambiguous?

How else can you measure who won a generation if not sales? Everything else is relative. The numbers don't lie.

usrevenge said:

Uh all final fantasys, xenogears, castlevania, a lot of square games, silent hill..... More

Around the Network

I felt llike it would of been perfect to release a 2d Mario game on the 64 around the end of the 64 life, like Paper Mario did.

It definatly could have sold well in software, kinda doubt it would have impacted hardware much (would have seen a bigger rise in used system sales as opposed to new).

The thing is, that the hardware (and controller0 was designed almost exclusevily for 3D games, which is why 2D on the console was not largely developed, so I feel there could have been a lot of issues with even trying to develop it for the system to be honest.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

note: I also recall reading about this is why Contra Spirits 64 never came to fruition (anyone else know about this?)
I think they had wanted to retain 2D elements in the game and there was just way too many problems with transitions.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

It probably would have done very poorly. With Mario 64, this was the first adventure into a full 3D experience (Other 3D games before generally were on rails or had the user automatically navigated along the path). If that game came out, it would have been in the shadow of other very fresh feeling 3D games, and even in the Shadow of Rare's Donkey Kong Country games, and games like Kirby Superstar.

On the otherhand, when New Super Mario Brothers came out, it was in a time when 2D platformers were a large rarity. Although, people who think these sold systems need to look at the stats - for DS, sales were actually down in 2 of the 3 markets the week that NSB launched; and heavy sales were largely due to pack-ins. People mostly buy 2D Mario because they already have the system, or are just buying the system and want a recognizable Nintendo franchise to play when they get it - they probably don't buy a system for 2D Mario. On the otherhand, people bought N64 for Mario 64, and it was almost a year before sales picked up again (Around GE007, Diddy Kong Racing, and Mario Kart 64) after that initial launch period; and by then it was way too late.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Part of NSMB's success is nostalgia and the fact that we had to wait so long for it. It would have done ok, but I knew plenty of people then that wouldn't even play Symphony of the Night because it was 2D... 3D was shiny and new then, and 2D was being downplayed a whole lot.