By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Answers Burning Wii U Questions

Spazzy_D said:

This is super important to me.  I really want to be able to play the tablet in bed with head phones on, especially when the wife it sleeping.  I'm really hoping that I can play N64 virtual console games this way, and that they add a Game Cube VC as well.  I'm also hoping against hope that you can play Wii games that use the classic controller this way.  I haven't started Xenoblade yet, and playing it on that tablet would be awesome.

This seems to be as likely as Wii titles being upscaled when played on the Wii U.

That is to say it won't happen, but God alive would that be fantastic.

Around the Network
Spazzy_D said:

This is super important to me.  I really want to be able to play the tablet in bed with head phones on, especially when the wife it sleeping.  I'm really hoping that I can play N64 virtual console games this way, and that they add a Game Cube VC as well.  I'm also hoping against hope that you can play Wii games that use the classic controller this way.  I haven't started Xenoblade yet, and playing it on that tablet would be awesome.

Wii games on the GamePad? That's just one of those things that's so awesome, it has no hope of coming true, haha. Might as well start Xenoblade now to pass the time before Wii U launches. :P

If they made Wii games play on the WiiU tablet screen that would be a dream. The TV-off function is the part I love most. My fiance always wants the Tv and it would be great to be able to give it away and still be able to play.

The WiiU is a few thing away from being perfect for me, with only one thing being unfixable after launch, the screen. I will still not count it out though, which is why I said it isn't a deal breaker for me.

I always anticipate the new Zelda.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

TheKoreanGuy said:

Not sure if people just missed this or not but....

Off-TV Play

The ability to view and play Wii U games on the GamePad screen rather than on a TV screen is a "capability [that] is there for every game but it's a developer's choice if they want that to be part of the experience." Nintendo calls it Off-TV Play and the feature will likely be flagged on Wii U game boxes.

Nintendo is not mandating this to be implemented in all games either. This type of feature makes perfect sense with the Wii U's controller and consumers might be confused when they find out they can't do it with all games. Or am I the only one that finds this of any importance?

It would be stupid for Nintendo to mandate that all games should be playable on the pad alone since the gameplay of some games may/will heavily rely on dual screen (gamepad and TV screen) gameplay that cannot be replicated on just the gamepad alone.

Man, they cant let go of that friend code thing. I didnt care about achievements on 360 and i dont care about them on PS3, so its WE for Wii U. Nice to know i can transfer stuff, i was getting worried for a sec.

Around the Network

I guess I really don't get the backlash against achievements in this thread so far. I understand that there are a lot of people that don't care about them, but they are a major feature for many gamers out there, and the Wii U not having a unified achievement system like PSN/Xbox is a big deal to them.

What boggles my mind is why people are actively speaking against achievements and a unified system on Wii U. Xbox and PS3 both allow you to turn off notifications if you don't want to hear about achievements/trophies ... it is as though they are not there at all so they really can't bother you.

It is like if I said that there should be no JRPG's on the Wii U because I happen to think they are a waste of time and not enjoyable in the least. JRPG's are not at all important to me, but I at least understand that many people do like them. They also don't affect me in any way really, and I would prefer that the system would have them even though I don't like them just so that more people can enjoy the Wii U.

No one is forcing me to buy JRPG's and no one is forcing people to keep their achievement notifications on. Wii U without achievements is just one more advantage the competition has over Nintendo, and I think it would be silly to omit them since it can not possibly be that challenging to implement them (Sony even did it post launch).

DarthVolod said:

I guess I really don't get the backlash against achievements in this thread so far. I understand that there are a lot of people that don't care about them, but they are a major feature for many gamers out there, and the Wii U not having a unified achievement system like PSN/Xbox is a big deal to them.

What boggles my mind is why people are actively speaking against achievements and a unified system on Wii U. Xbox and PS3 both allow you to turn off notifications if you don't want to hear about achievements/trophies ... it is as though they are not there at all so they really can't bother you.

It is like if I said that there should be no JRPG's on the Wii U because I happen to think they are a waste of time and not enjoyable in the least. JRPG's are not at all important to me, but I at least understand that many people do like them. They also don't affect me in any way really, and I would prefer that the system would have them even though I don't like them just so that more people can enjoy the Wii U.

No one is forcing me to buy JRPG's and no one is forcing people to keep their achievement notifications on. Wii U without achievements is just one more advantage the competition has over Nintendo, and I think it would be silly to omit them since it can not possibly be that challenging to implement them (Sony even did it post launch).

Well first of all the Wii U will have an achievement like system, and if the option is there I think most devs will be using it.

I have conceded that Nintendo might as well make it mandatory for all the difference it will make now though. Like I said I do feel achievements have warped gaming experience by changing what people feel is an actual reward... but the damage has already been done by the X360.

Enjoyed the achievements debate here, just posting to say I'm with Euphoria14. There is not one single advantage to not having a mandatory unified achievement system.

if sony release a bundle ps3+psvita at price of wii U or 349.99 i don't think nintendo have chance.

uNsIs said:
if sony release a bundle ps3+psvita at price of wii U or 349.99 i don't think nintendo have chance.

If Sony released that bundle at that price they would likely go out of business.