By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Answers Burning Wii U Questions

Euphoria14 said:

I agree.

Also, the genre I personally find to work so great with achievement popups is JRPGs.

Nothing like seeing that highlight in the top right corner, letting me know that "YES!, Finally beat that fucker in under 1 Minute!!".

Haha. I like the way they were used in Xenoblade. I'm not sure whether I keep playing the Portal challenges for the sake of beating them or for the achievements, I guess it amounts to the same thing for me. But I think my favorite use of achievements ever was in Kid Icarus: Uprising. There's a lot of depth to them: even the ones that don't unlock new things or reward you directly with hearts reveal a piece of artwork when obtained.

Around the Network

ITT: Euphoria teaching his little daughter how to whine like an "adult" and pretend your opinion is, or should be, the universal opnion held by all because it is the best one. Evar.

Sorry, I had to. Take a step back man and realize not everyone wants what you want. All of your negative points are based on the fact that we don't know how the system is implemented for certain, and you make assumptions that they must be terrible. Seriously dude, just hang up the coat and chill until the details come out. You look like an ass. And now I've had to come off as an ass to explain all of this.

wfz said:
ITT: Euphoria teaching his little daughter how to whine like an "adult" and pretend your opinion is, or should be, the universal opnion held by all because it is the best one. Evar.

Sorry, I had to. Take a step back man and realize not everyone wants what you want. All of your negative points are based on the fact that we don't know how the system is implemented for certain, and you make assumptions that they must be terrible. Seriously dude, just hang up the coat and chill until the details come out. You look like an ass. And now I've had to come off as an ass to explain all of this.

First of all, wow, how mature...

I clearly conceited and made it apparent that I understand that many have opinions that differ from my own and that my views were for my side of the debate, check the result of my discussions and how they end on a calm note. I was giving an argument as to why it hurts nobody to have achievements mandated. I gave reasons for why it helps, I gave ways for it to not get in the way of those who do not care of it. I did not belittle anyone, I did not offend and I most certainly did not jump in and start throwing out insults to one's character and even more, the raising of his their kid. I contributed much to the discussion. What did you add by jumping in here the way you did?

If anyone should take a step back, it is you my friend. Unless only one side the argument is allowed here. I didn't stop to check the rules of the this thread.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Not having it mandatory is fine, though it may affect how a certain segment of hte installbase purchases some titles. For multiplats I imagine that all the same cheevos will be in as on other platforms.

I like Nintendo's system - whereby you unlock in-game extras for doing certain things - quite a bit more than just getting unspecific points. And really, recognizable-at-a-glance achievement levels are something Nintendo has been doing since 2008 at the latest - you see osmeone with five stars in Mario Kart Wii, they are very probably going to whip your monkey ass.

Euphoria14 said:
wfz said:

First of all, wow, how mature...

I clearly conceited and made it apparent that I understand that many have opinions that differ from my own and that my views were for my side of the debate, check the result of my discussions and how they end on a calm note. I was giving an argument as to why it hurts nobody to have achievements mandated. I gave reasons for why it helps, I gave ways for it to not get in the way of those who do not care of it. I did not belittle anyone, I did not offend and I most certainly did not jump in and start throwing out insults to one's character and even more, the raising of his their kid. I contributed much to the discussion. What did you add by jumping in here the way you did?

If anyone should take a step back, it is you my friend. Unless only one side the argument is allowed here. I didn't stop to check the rules of the this thread.

M first line was supposed to be bullish, that's why I directly said sorry afterwards. I was just trying to get my point across. Don't accidentally skip parts of my post! It wasn't that long. :P

1) You said it hurts no one to have achievements mandated, and kept reiterating it after numerous posts were given disputing your point and raising good examples. You merely looked over them and kept pinning your view against the wall.

2) You didn't belittle any poster in particular, no, but your posts came off as belittling to opinions which differ from yours.

3) Again, a little sense of humor. I thought I made it clear enough that my first sentence was in humor. From the wording, to the misspelling of "Ever" right after, to even saying "sorry, I had to" afterwards. Come now. =)

4) What am i adding to this? Well hopefully a self-reflection on your part so you don't do this in the future. It's sad to see respected users go off on ridiculous rants about information we don't even know yet, also while pretending their opinion is the right opinion. You may have settled this further into the thread, but you had littered this thread with quite a number of posts that were as I just described above.

5) I'll take a step back and lean into my comfortable chair. Thanks for the advice!

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
Euphoria14 said:

Games have all different levels of achievements. With 360 it is in gamer points, for which you get 5gp (achievements such as gaming "X" amount of level), 15gp? (for achieving something along the lines of a major boss fight) or 100gp? (Completing the game only high difficulty, one for Hard, one for Expert, etc...). My gp totals may be off, haven't owned a 360 for almost 2 years now. These usually add up to 1000gp for a retail 360 game. Around 200-250 or so for XBLA titles.

PS3 has it in Bronze, Silver and Gold trophies to differ from the 5gp. 15gp and 100gp. PS3 games however have an additional trophy, which is a Platinum, awarded for achieving all trophies in the game. This trophies grants ever more XP for your profile. I don't know the told point % for each type of trophy, but right now, for me, bronze trophies don't add shit, but I won't play a crap game for a gold. No Way! lol

These not only allow you to raise your score/level for personal enjoyment, but it also easily allows others to not just see what games you have played, but also be able to see just how far into each of those games you progressed. I guess it could also help you to know how to talk about a game without worry of spoiling it for someone who you can clearly see hasn't even hit the halfway point.

I would like the Wii to have something similar to PS3 though since I like the level up system. Maybe once you hit specific levels you recieve Special Nintendo Club bonuses.

Come on, lie to me and say you wouldn't love that!

I don't have to lie... to me it seems like a substandard method of comparing gaming with friends. It's stats for the sake of stats... kind of like looking at game review scores on metacritic/gamerankings. The base data that goes into the aggregate metascore, or the trophy are not numerically comparable with others... putting them together just makes a more garbled mess of the data.

For determining where your friends are in a game... a simple completion percentage is good enough (on story based games maybe one for the story and an overall one for collectawhores like myself)

Recieving Club bonuses is a good idea, though not everyone would be able to take advantage of it so I still prefer some kind of in game reward.

----

There have been achievements in a few Wii games most of which I ignored (some like Endless Ocean 2 give in game rewards for completing a certain number of achievements, so I did check on those to find out which I should go for to get the rewards) There are achievements in Steam games, again I ignore them... I'm just not interested.

Right, something like that one website (backloggery, is it?) institutionalized in game form, where you can report to your friends on where you are in the game specifically or what you're trying to do (like trying to build a certain armor set in an RPG or something) would say much more than some number.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Not sure if people just missed this or not but....

Off-TV Play

The ability to view and play Wii U games on the GamePad screen rather than on a TV screen is a "capability [that] is there for every game but it's a developer's choice if they want that to be part of the experience." Nintendo calls it Off-TV Play and the feature will likely be flagged on Wii U game boxes.

Nintendo is not mandating this to be implemented in all games either. This type of feature makes perfect sense with the Wii U's controller and consumers might be confused when they find out they can't do it with all games. Or am I the only one that finds this of any importance?

Can't quote now, on the tablet.

#1.) How was I to know? Yeah, "sorry" was used, but how am I to interpreted it when you still called me an "ass" afterwards?

#2.) It was repeated due to me talking to more than (1) person.

#3.) So, I belittle their opinion by saying I think it hurts nobody to have it, as opposed to someone saying that what i like is no more than a cock size contest? Okay...

#4.) You say it wasn't meant to be serious, yet your stated contribution is to prevent me from doing the same thing you said you were joking about.

Yeah...

I still think my suggestion for Nintendo Club bonuses for achievement level milestones was a good one though.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Also, you mention that I am going off things we don't know.

It states in the OP that achievements are not mandated. The discussion evolved from there, now turning into the type of system we would like to see.

Still don't see what I did so wrong.

Anyways, lets move on.

Currently playing:

TheKoreanGuy said:

Topics for which Fils-Aime had nothing to announce

New Virtual Console platforms; whether VC games can run on the GamePad, Wii U launch price, Wii U launch line-up.

Link

Anything they missed?

This is super important to me.  I really want to be able to play the tablet in bed with head phones on, especially when the wife it sleeping.  I'm really hoping that I can play N64 virtual console games this way, and that they add a Game Cube VC as well.  I'm also hoping against hope that you can play Wii games that use the classic controller this way.  I haven't started Xenoblade yet, and playing it on that tablet would be awesome.