By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - "YOU LIED TO US!" Why animated movies need a new plot device.

Tagged games:

Madagascar 3:  "YOU LIED TO US!" You said you were circus performers but you were really zoo animals!

Rango:  "YOU LIED TO US!" You said you were a tough cop that could drink rattle snake poison!

Shark Tale: "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you were  shark slayer!

How to Train Your Dragon:  "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you were able to kill dragons but instead you were their friend!

Mulan:  "YOU LIED TO US!" You said you had a penis!

Aladdin:  "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you were a prince!

Madagascar 2:  "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you were the king of New York!

Lion King:  "YOU LIED TO US!" You said you were dead!

Shrek:  "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you were a princess instead of an Ogre!

Tangled:  "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you loved me instead of being after my jewels!

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs:  "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you had this food machine under control!  (a bonus "YOU LIED TO US!" you're not a dumb reporter at all!)

Despicable Me:  "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you were a good person and not a super villain!

Mega Mind:  "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you were a good person and not a super villain! (a bonus "YOU LIED TO US!" for Metro Man.  You said you were dead!)

It gets kinda old after a while.

*edit*  This thread was made after I watched Madagascar 3.  It was a good movie but I had a feeling of, "Here we go again...." as soon as they told a lie about being circus animals.  It doesn't condemn every single animated movie ever made.  Just the tired cliche that is found in so many animated films I've seen.

Around the Network

Some of these seem like huge jumps. Not to mention you're using about what, 12 movies, in like the past 15 years, maybe more. Hardly a telltale sign of an entire industry.

How to Train Your Dragon:  "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you were able to kill dragons but instead you were their friend!

Hiccup never said he killed dragons. 

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs:  "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you had this food machine under control!  (a bonus "YOU LIED TO US!" you're not a dumb reporter at all!)

The machine was under control, until the people pushed it too far and broke it and the reporter never lied about being anything. She was forced to act like that on purpose by her superiors and didn't think anyone was interested in her work.

Despicable Me:  "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you were a good person and not a super villain!

My mind is fuzzy, but did he actually hide his villainy to the girls? He was a bit of a dick to them afterall. He certainly didn't portray himself as a "good guy" to the girls.

Mega Mind:  "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you were a good person and not a super villain! (a bonus "YOU LIED TO US!" for Metro Man.  You said you were dead!)

When did Mega Mind portray himself as a hero? Are you talking about the other villain? He was turned evil by events. Nobody ever lied about anything except Metro Man.

All I know is my gut says maybe...

Interesting. Movie makers stretch the true???  Who'da thunk?

wall-e didn't lie! he truly spoke about his name and job to eve!

Around the Network

Hmm... I still find them fun and interesting though... this repetition doesn't really faze me. XD As long as a movie is good in what its supposed to do I'm fine with it.

T.Rexington said:

Some of these seem like huge jumps. Not to mention you're using about what, 12 movies, in like the past 15 years, maybe more. Hardly a telltale sign of an entire industry.

Hiccup never said he killed dragons. 

The machine was under control, until the people pushed it too far and broke it and the reporter never lied about being anything. She was forced to act like that on purpose by her superiors and didn't think anyone was interested in her work.

My mind is fuzzy, but did he actually hide his villainy to the girls? He was a bit of a dick to them afterall. He certainly didn't portray himself as a "good guy" to the girls.

When did Mega Mind portray himself as a hero? Are you talking about the other villain? He was turned evil by events. Nobody ever lied about anything except Metro Man.

I could name more but I stopped.  I thought  I named enough.

Anyway, Mega Mind used his disguise thingy to pretend he was a totally different person.  In DIspicable Me, Gru made those girls think he loved them so he could use them to get his shrink ray back.  Huccup never said he slayed dragons but everybody found out that he was basically cheating his way through school and his father was really disappointed and hurt.

These movies always feature a hero that keeps something from everyone and eventually they get found out for lying.  Then they make it right by either showing that their way is actually the right way or by becoming what they lied about.

Mater (he was just stupid, though) wasn't really a secret agent.  Lightning McQueen didn't care about the other cars in Radiator Springs.  The bugs in Bug's Life weren't circus bugs.  The chicken in Chicken Run couldn't fly.  The animal (whatever the hell it was.  I can't remember.  A racoon, I think.) in Over the Hedge just used all of his "friends" to gather food so he could pay back that bear.  Mr. Incredible lied to his wife and said he wasn't fighting crime.

Mostly computer animated movies use this plot but I tossed in a few traditionally animated movies so I could fit "Penis" in the OP.  I just wish that the makers of this movie could be more original than "Person A lies about X to Person B.  Person A gets found out and has to redeem himself."

Aha! There is a reason you didn't defend your opinion about CWACOMB, it is amazing and not a lie. End thread.

PS: You could expand this to all types of movies.

d21lewis said:

Tangled:  "YOU LIED TO US!"  You said you loved me instead of being after my jewels!

Since when are these two mutually exclusive?

your list pales to the "get close to someone, disappoint them, but save the day in the end" plot

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’