By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Japanese consumers buy PSP?

As we have seen during the past few months.  PSP has been doing much better in Japan after the launch of slim version.  It would be interesting to see why Japanese consumers suddenly embrace the PSP once again.

Original post on http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

SECJ released the results of the questionnaires based on the consumers who purchased the new slim PSP.

The reasons of buying the new PSP:

1: 65%, Slimmer, lighter, and smaller

2: 39%, Design and color

3: 38%, Music and Video multimedia function

4: 27%, Availability of desired software

5: 21%, The charms of "1 SEG" function

6: 19%, It's a Sony

7: 14%, Price

8: 13%, TV output support

Note: 1 SEG: Japanese terrestrial digital broadcasting service for mobile devices

It is shocking to see only 27% of the consumers bought PSP for the softwares.  Actually, it has been well-reflected in the PSP software numbers in Japan.  Only 2 PSP titles has been sold more than 1 million copies in Japan, and both of them are Monster Hunter Portable.  The first MHP did not go above 1 million until the release of "best price" version.  The situation of PSP software sales is in sharp contrast to the DS software sales.  More than 20 DS titles have reached the million seller level.

Also interesting.  The PSP color choice ratio between genders (Male/Female):

Black: 82%/18%

White: 83%/17%

Silver: 86%/14%

Felicia Blue: 80%/20%

Lavender Purple: 74%/26%

Rose Pink: 50%/50%

I guess the piracy issue is not the only reason why the software sale is lagging.  There are not that many PSP games that Japanese consumers want to purchase as a "portable" title.

My translation may not be 100% accurate.  y-koron or other members are welcome to correct the above information.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Around the Network

65% for slim?
So, if MS releases a Xbox360 Slim that's the same size as the Wii, Japan would be eating it all up?

In 2009, Sony will release a slimmer, lighter, smaller and cheaper version of PlayStation 3 in Japan along with Final Fantasy Versus XIII ...that is just my opinion.

As for the PSP, at least Sony earn money from every PSP and memory stick they sold.

totalwar23 said:
65% for slim?
So, if MS releases a Xbox360 Slim that's the same size as the Wii, Japan would be eating it all up?

For a mobile device, the size is very critical in Asia.  This principle also applies to the home gaming consoles, particularly in Japan.  Most of the Japanese don't have that much free space at home.  I can't speak for Xbox360, but I do know a lot of friends of mine are waiting for the Slim PS3.  The current model is so bulky, in my opinion.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

Mhh, for trying tounderstand Japanese culture, you have to be here and live it for yourself, japanese people love to be playing in the traintime, you hop on a wagon and you can just see at leas 10 people with DS/PSP, so weight is an issue, they want everything smaller and lighter.

Anyway, don't try to judge them with western point of view, too different a culture for be doing that.

Around the Network

19% it's a sony, lol.
So you see that the PlayStation brand name is important.

i don't think it's so much the playstation brand name as opposed to the fact that it's a sony. if it's about playstation you'd see a higher percentage than 27%.

like, for my next HDTV purchase, i'd put Sony TVs at the top of my list because i know the quality is there. i don't care if it happens to have "Bravia" as a name. i know sony made it. for a few years it seems the Korean manufacturers managed to catch up, but lately it seems Sony are back to making the best TVs.

and cameras, videocams, etc.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Yeah sure, that's the reason sony rules in the mp3 players market...... ahh no, wait is Apple, jajaja. Sony MP3 players sucks, I've had a MD and it sucked, I had a miniusb like and it was ok, now I have an Ipod and is so cool

why?

two words: Monster Hunter

Kingsora_be said:
19% it's a sony, lol.
So you see that the PlayStation brand name is important.

27% said software. You see how much that's helping it sell software. You know, just saying.