By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Clear up the confusion on the Goldeneye 007 game rights

OK, this is confuxion junction, what's my function.

I know that N64's Goldeneye 007 was developed by Rare and published by Nintendo released in 1997.

I know that Rare was once a Nintendo 2nd party, a status that ended when Nintendo released control of Rare to Microsoft in 2002 as Rare then became a Microsoft 2nd party.

I know that Rare has control of its intellectual properties that weren't Nintendo characters like Donkey Kong and such.

I know that Nintendo got Diddy Kong & Dixie Kong from Rare in the deal to set them free which is why Nintendo is still allowed to use those originally Rare-made characters (even though they were made in Rare's imagining of a Donkey Kong universe).

I know that the James Bond videogame license was taken over by EA in 1999, co-controlled by Activision & EA in 2006, & exclusively controlled by Activision in September 2007.

I know that Activision is now Activision-Blizzard, a monster merging which gives them much power.

I know that Activision-Blizzard must be consulted before any game within the James Bond universe is made.

I know that actors from the movies must be consulted when using their likenesses.

I know Goldeneye 007 on XBox Live Arcade is the source-faithful N64 version only with an added online multiplayer feature to make it special for XBLA for the 360, a Microsoft-owned system which Rare has contributed to.

What I don't understand is the confusion over Goldeneye 007's game rights.

If Rare is the developer and is owned by Microsoft and Activision-Blizzard is the James Bond game rights owner, then the XBox Live Arcade version of Goldeneye 007 should have no snags.

But then I keep hearing that Nintendo owns the coding rights to Goldeneye 007 meaning that to use the programming to emulate for the XBLA that you have to go through them first.

Also I hear word of co-development between Rare & Nintendo on Goldeneye 007 meaning that unless Nintendo ceded these rights to Rare in the trade to Microsoft that they still have say so over reproduction of the game with the blessing of Activision-Blizzard.

Then again I hear that Nintendo has publishing rights to the game if not development rights meaning they still have to be consulted.

Then I hear that Nintendo has no official say so but are influencing with persuasion to Activision-Blizzard to keep the game on their Virtual Console instead. And that A-B is receptive to Nintendo due to positive working conditions and the rising return to full dominance of Nintendo in the field.

I wonder if Microsoft could persuasively moneyflood a deal for Activlizzard to bring it to XBLA.

And then I hear this game goes to both VC & XBLA as Blactivizzion works with both.

Can anybody spell out conclusively what the deal is so I can understand what soured the GE007 on XBLA deal? And can anyone correct me on any wrong conclusions I made if any?

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

VC+XBLA is the best possible solution.

Just put the fucking game out already.

Give it to Nintendo to redo the game with Wiimote controls

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I think that's the clear thing here is that complex ownership has fucked it all up. Unless both sides can make a deal, we won't be seeing it released anywhere.

The only logical solution I can see where everyone should be happy is to have:

1. VC of the original untouched version.
2. xbl touched up version with online multi-player.

MS usually alters xbl arcade games anyways and Nintendo has only altered vc content to fix an error. So, I see this as really the only solution.

Around the Network

From what I've read, here's what I can glean:

-Both Nintendo and MS want Goldeneye for their repective digital distribution services.

-Nintendo owns the publishing rights to the game.

-This doesn't mean ActiBlizzion (best name!) has to publish it wherever Nintendo wants it. What it does mean is they can't put it anywhere without Nintendo's consent.

-ActiBlizzion (as I understand it) is willing to allow the game for either or both platforms.

-Rare has development rights to the game (obviously, since they made it) but can't do anything with it without the consent of the one with the publishing rights (Nintendo).

-In order to publish the game on VC, Nintendo needs the approval of both ActiBlizzion and Rare/MS

-In order to publish the game in its' current form on XBLA, MS needs Nintendo's and ActiBlizzion's approval. Basically, it's a gridlock right now.

Here are the possible outcomes that I can see:

1. A boatload of cash changes hands between MS and Nintendo. This isn't likely as, though MS will attempt it, Nintendo is not exactly hurting for dollars right now.

2. They come to some sort of mutual agreement and the game comes out on both systems. This would be best for everyone, I think, as it could play to both sides' strengths. Buy it on Wii if you want passable online and motion controls. Buy it on 360 if you want matchmaking, friends lists, etc.

3. I don't think many have considered this yet, but: Nintendo only owns the rights to the exact code of the N64 game. They would have no say if Rare were to completely recode it, instead of emulating.

Any thoughts?

For any interested, there's a petition here to get the game on XBLA
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165408

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I hope they come back to this and it gets a release cos right now its not looking good.

Would be nice if they could make improvements like controls, multiplayer even a gfx update but thats wishful thinking right now!!

@thekitchensink

I have a feeling that recoding it wouldn't be worth the trouble so that scenario is probably moot. Hopefully they can all agree and just release it both ways.

superchunk said:
The only logical solution I can see where everyone should be happy is to have:

Nintendo has only altered vc content to fix an error.

Actually not exactly, Pokemon Snap was altered so, that you could send photos you've taken to your friends via message board. @Kitchensink: That was pretty good explanation, i have understood it in the same way. @Kytiara: We're talking about M$, which really uses money on something that's not "worth it", when it comes to 360. So, it may be possible, after all, you'd get updated graphics and online with recoding.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I doubt MS will drop a boatload of money on Nintendo to get rights to publish it on XBLA. There's no telling how well the game will be received in an over-saturated market with FPS's, and Nintendo isn't hurting for money, not in the slightest.

Personally, I'd rather Rare re-release the first Perfect Dark on XBLA.