By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Clear up the confusion on the Goldeneye 007 game rights

I think it might never see a release, with all of the rights being everywhere, I think it will probably be going to road of Jump Superstars on the DS where so many of the rights got split up that it was never able to be released in the US. Another thing to think of is Halo DS which was a real concept and early build Microsoft wanted a large percent of money from the sales, then you have Nintendo and their charge for making a game on their system, and neither side could settle so the fans got zilch out of the deal. Big corporations ruin it for us again!

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Give it to Nintendo to redo the game with Wiimote controls

That would certainly be all sorts of badass.  

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

Actually there is another item that complicates matters worse. Nintendo paid for the rights to Goldeneye on the N64 and used Rare to co-develop the game.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

All the the games made on the n64 by Rare were co-developed by nintendo. Rare would never been as successful with out nintendo giving them their first party dev tools and engines to work with.

It will be a cold day in hell before Golden eye is on a non-nintendo console. It was of one their premier games on the n64 along with OoT, SM64, LoZMM, etc.
Its like asking sony for FF7 on a nintendo or Halo on a Nintendo console, its never gonna happen.

The game should go where the fans are, Its a game for Nintendo fans and should be on a Nintendo system.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

@johnlucas

Basically the situation is this. First we had a rumor that Goldeneye was being ported to Xbox live arcade. Then we had a later rumor that Nintendo was in some fashion blocking it. Now if the first rumor is authentic then the second rumor must be false otherwise the rumor of the development would never have gone forward, because Nintendo could have blocked it. Now if the first rumor is false then the second rumor is an obvious lie, because you can't block something that was not happening in the first place.

I see two realistic scenarios. The first being that Microsoft has the rights to release the game on their arcade, and they have paid the licensing fees. In response an avid Nintendo fan has decided to spread a false rumor in response. Perhaps a rabid fan who might be upset that Microsoft might end up having a game they desperately want on their virtual console.

The second scenario is that the first rumor was bogus perhaps generated by a 360 fanatic, and that the counter rumor was generated by a Wii fanatic as a rebuttal. How often have we seen these rumors over the past year. Someone cooks up a rumor and then someone cooks up a rumor to offset their rumor.

Basically if the first rumor is authentic it would be hard to imagine that Microsoft went ahead with development without dotting all their I's and crossing all of their T's especially when they would have to pay a licensing fee. Thus how would they get themselves into a position to be blocked.

I brought this up in another thread, but the timing here is very interesting. None of us know the stipulations of the contract under which Microsoft purchased Rare. I suppose you could find out given that the records are probably public. With enough time, money, and skill. You could most likely get a definitive answer to your question as to what was agreed upon.

That said if the agreement was that Microsoft had a waiting period before they could re-release these games ten years would be a very round number. One that both parties at the time could have probably agreed to. At the time Nintendo would have been happy with the fact that they wouldn't be on the Xbox, and at the time the virtual console probably wouldn't have been a twinkle in their eye. Microsoft would be happy to at the very least eventually get access to full games with their purchase of Rare.

Perhaps in the end Nintendo is going to have a bad case of sellers remorse who knows, but given what Microsoft paid for Rare one would think they would have found a way to rest total control over games that would still be of fantastic quality down the line.

Thats where I am leaning in this the contract gave Nintendo a ten year grace period, and it is running out. That explains the initial rumor or at the very least how it could be plausible. Otherwise Microsoft would have released a number of 64 Rare titles earlier, and it explains in part why the Wii hasn't gotten them at this point. I just find it very hard that the rights to these are in some permanent quasi limbo. I think its far more rational that they are in transit. Ten years of transit, but transit none the less.

I think the games gracing both consoles is highly unlikely. I know some people desperately want that, but to be frank. Microsoft isn't going to let Nintendo eat the fruits of their labor, or their hard spent money, and Nintendo probably isn't going to make the concessions to get them.

Around the Network

Wrong thread

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Microsoft and XBOX fans don't deserve the game, it should only be for those fans that supported Nintendo alll those years ago. If you want to play goldeneye go buy yourself an N64 theres 40 Mil out there Im sure you will find one easy enough.

Apart from that unless MS can figure out some legal way of undermining Nintendo it will never be on the XBLA, otherwise it would be there already.

Nintendo = Innovation = Wii

I own an N64, and this title. I would very much like an online capable Xbox 360 version.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS