By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot for next gen, repeat of Wii all over again

I've never believed in the WiiU after I saw the tablet controller. Their press conference did nothing to boost the impression. I will repeat once more; the WiiU won't be nearly as big a success as the Wii was/is.

Around the Network

The Pikmin franchise is an example of something that needed to be on Wii U.

I wouldn't say they shot themselves in the foot. I would say that they just didn't impress. I was shocked there was no CoD or BF3 stuff. THe only thing I saw from EA was Mass Effect 3. Where were the sports games? Where was the Dead Space? Where was the MoH? Strange.... I saw nothing from Activision.

Pjams said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Wii U seemed really bad after Smartglass was shown. The potential and scope of Smartglass quite frankly just killed Nintendo for me.

Really, thats the best you can do? The Wii U tablet vs. Smartglass? It takes a special kind of blindness to create that in your head.

Cmon man did you watch M$ conference?

Smartglass interacts with phones and 360. game developers can use smartglass to incorporate Windows 8 Tablets, or Android tablets or Ipads as controllers or a 2nd screen. Possibility to have a full Skyrim map on Tablet while playing on your TV for example. Particularly loved the Halo 4 smartglass part. That was genius.

Then theres movies, music, internet etc stuff that Wii U cant even begin to do.

So yes, Smartglass has alot more potential than Wii U.

Right, and the Wii U tablet is a controller for Wii U games and the Wii U. So what excatly is your point? They are not competing technologies 

My point is, apart from Ninty exclusives you could port any 3rd party Wii U game to 360. Using Smartglass.

So you can either buy a Wii U this christmas or use your existing tablet, and have a Wii U this cristmas without spending the cash. Just wont have Mario.

Again, it takes a special kind of blindness to create this in your head. 

Or a special kind of blindness to realise Wii U is now an overpriced new tablet console.

Seriously I'll laugh this fall when Im using Smartglass.

selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Wii U seemed really bad after Smartglass was shown. The potential and scope of Smartglass quite frankly just killed Nintendo for me.

Really, thats the best you can do? The Wii U tablet vs. Smartglass? It takes a special kind of blindness to create that in your head.

Cmon man did you watch M$ conference?

Smartglass interacts with phones and 360. game developers can use smartglass to incorporate Windows 8 Tablets, or Android tablets or Ipads as controllers or a 2nd screen. Possibility to have a full Skyrim map on Tablet while playing on your TV for example. Particularly loved the Halo 4 smartglass part. That was genius.

Then theres movies, music, internet etc stuff that Wii U cant even begin to do.

So yes, Smartglass has alot more potential than Wii U.

Right, and the Wii U tablet is a controller for Wii U games and the Wii U. So what excatly is your point? They are not competing technologies 

My point is, apart from Ninty exclusives you could port any 3rd party Wii U game to 360. Using Smartglass.

So you can either buy a Wii U this christmas or use your existing tablet, and have a Wii U this cristmas without spending the cash. Just wont have Mario.

Again, it takes a special kind of blindness to create this in your head. 

Or a special kind of blindness to realise Wii U is now an overpriced new tablet console.

Seriously I'll laugh this fall when Im using Smartglass.

Surprised you call it overpriced when we don't even know the price yet. Plus most tablets are $500+ so It wll need to cost more than that for it to be an overpriced tablet.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Solid-Stark said:
BasilZero said:
kitler53 said:
BasilZero said:

According to the rumor its 30,000 yen or will be (unofficial), does this mean the system will cost somewhere between 300 - 350 dollars?

japan ussually gets screwed pricing wise.  take the direct conversion and subtract at least $50s from it to get the US pricing.

$381 dollars after the conversion.

so -$50

331 dollars

So....349.99 seems more realistic though I would love to see a 299.99 price tag xD.

Yeah $350 seems more likely. Hopefully they'll have a launch/holiday bundle for early buyers.

349.99 seems like a good price for a new hardware that is slightly more powerful than the current HD twins. Anymore and ugh.

Well I hope Nintendo releases spec info soon. I have a feeling it may be more powerful than we are giving it credit for. I mean, assuming it launches at $350, it would be $150 more expensive than the cheapest 360, $100 more than the ps3; let's factor in possible pricecuts later in the year; and ofcoarse there is the tab controller that increases cost, but it looks like the WiiU should pack in more power than the ps3 and 360 using price to guess.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

selnor said:
Solid-Stark said:
selnor said:
freebs2 said:
selnor said:
freebs2 said:
selnor said:

So basically you wanted WiiU for TV web browsing and dashboard navigation?

No.

Smartglass can do all that, plus the same thing for games as wii u. Smartglass potential goes beyond the house to. Not stuck to 20 feet or whatever the distance.

Trolling or serious?

Uh serious. Looks like you miss the point that it can doe gaming to in M$ press conference?

Can I play 360 games on my phone or tab?

I dont know about that, but that was and never will be the selling point. Wii U games that you can do that with obviously wont use the tablet to its potential.

The point of Wii U is 2 screens and touch with big screen. Not single screen gaming which I get already right now. :)

The answer is no you cannot. Perhaps in the future or Smart Glass next gen xbox, you may be able to. The WiiU controller allows you to play your games directly on the controller which is convenient, along with other features that, yes, Smart Glass will bring to the 360.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

selnor said:
freebs2 said:
selnor said:
freebs2 said:
selnor said:

So basically you wanted WiiU for TV web browsing and dashboard navigation?

No.

Smartglass can do all that, plus the same thing for games as wii u. Smartglass potential goes beyond the house to. Not stuck to 20 feet or whatever the distance.

Trolling or serious?

Uh serious. Looks like you miss the point that it can doe gaming to in M$ press conference?

I saw microsoft conference. You can read things while you're hoding the 360 controller, or alternatively you can use the touch screen while not hoding a controller (unless you have 4 arms). The WiiU controller is a controller with an incorporate touch-screen, it's a very different thing in terms of gameplay.

BasilZero said:
Pjams said:
Solid-Stark said:
BasilZero said:

According to the rumor its 30,000 yen or will be (unofficial), does this mean the system will cost somewhere between 300 - 350 dollars?

Closer to $400 :

30,000 yen = 250GBP = $385

And the lesson for today is not to use Google's conversion....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/04/e3-2012-wii-u-price-will-be-30000-yen-says-nikkei 

Pjams said:
BasilZero said:
Pjams said:

30,000 yen = 250GBP = $385

And the lesson for today is not to use Google's conversion....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/04/e3-2012-wii-u-price-will-be-30000-yen-says-nikkei 

Basil's point stands. Nintendo rarely prices according to the exact exchange rate.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.