By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot for next gen, repeat of Wii all over again

Mr Khan said:
Pjams said:
BasilZero said:
Pjams said:

30,000 yen = 250GBP = $385

And the lesson for today is not to use Google's conversion....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/04/e3-2012-wii-u-price-will-be-30000-yen-says-nikkei 

Basil's point stands. Nintendo rarely prices according to the exact exchange rate.

Oh, I thought he was citing something about the inaccuracy of google's currency exchange

Around the Network

The tablet although being made use of appears to simply take the place of a "select" screen on a PS3. At least that was the case in many of the uses that Nintendo showed it for the non-casual games. Instead of switching to a select screen, you switch to the tablet. Although it is an innovation, it is kind of an unneccessary step, maybe I am expecting to much, but I was hoping for more.

With a tank. They just failed to muster any hype for their system and why gamers should buy it. They showed no mainstream 1st party titles that would have had people talking about wiiu and why its the system to own. Nintendo failed to realise that the people that conference was aimed at don't watch e3.

Where are the f-zero's ,star fox, metroid, ssb, donkey kong, mario kart, zelda, nothing was shown. If they plan on holding out until next e3 when ms and sony will be showing off their new console it might already be too late because its pretty hard to kill the buzz of a new console (although nintendo just did). They needed something to keep wiiu in the minds of gamers and it just was not there

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Mr Khan said:
Pjams said:
BasilZero said:
Pjams said:

30,000 yen = 250GBP = $385

And the lesson for today is not to use Google's conversion....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/04/e3-2012-wii-u-price-will-be-30000-yen-says-nikkei 

Basil's point stands. Nintendo rarely prices according to the exact exchange rate.

Very true.

WiiBox3 said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Wii U seemed really bad after Smartglass was shown. The potential and scope of Smartglass quite frankly just killed Nintendo for me.

Really, thats the best you can do? The Wii U tablet vs. Smartglass? It takes a special kind of blindness to create that in your head.

Cmon man did you watch M$ conference?

Smartglass interacts with phones and 360. game developers can use smartglass to incorporate Windows 8 Tablets, or Android tablets or Ipads as controllers or a 2nd screen. Possibility to have a full Skyrim map on Tablet while playing on your TV for example. Particularly loved the Halo 4 smartglass part. That was genius.

Then theres movies, music, internet etc stuff that Wii U cant even begin to do.

So yes, Smartglass has alot more potential than Wii U.

Right, and the Wii U tablet is a controller for Wii U games and the Wii U. So what excatly is your point? They are not competing technologies 

My point is, apart from Ninty exclusives you could port any 3rd party Wii U game to 360. Using Smartglass.

So you can either buy a Wii U this christmas or use your existing tablet, and have a Wii U this cristmas without spending the cash. Just wont have Mario.

Again, it takes a special kind of blindness to create this in your head. 

Or a special kind of blindness to realise Wii U is now an overpriced new tablet console.

Seriously I'll laugh this fall when Im using Smartglass.

Surprised you call it overpriced when we don't even know the price yet. Plus most tablets are $500+ so It wll need to cost more than that for it to be an overpriced tablet.

The real point though is many already have Ipads or Android tablets. And many will ave Windows 8. People will use them anyway. 

But you can also use them with 360 to use wit games that devs do it for or movies or music etc. Wii U as to be bought to get what is already out. You cant save money and use a tablet with the Wii now. Wii U seems like a bit of a stretch if its 300GBP for example, when Smartglass does more. 

Around the Network
selnor said:
WiiBox3 said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Wii U seemed really bad after Smartglass was shown. The potential and scope of Smartglass quite frankly just killed Nintendo for me.

Really, thats the best you can do? The Wii U tablet vs. Smartglass? It takes a special kind of blindness to create that in your head.

Smartglass interacts with phones and 360. game developers can use smartglass to incorporate Windows 8 Tablets, or Android tablets or Ipads as controllers or a 2nd screen. Possibility to have a full Skyrim map on Tablet while playing on your TV for example. Particularly loved the Halo 4 smartglass part. That was genius.

Right, and the Wii U tablet is a controller for Wii U games and the Wii U. So what excatly is your point? They are not competing technologies 

My point is, apart from Ninty exclusives you could port any 3rd party Wii U game to 360. Using Smartglass.

So you can either buy a Wii U this christmas or use your existing tablet, and have a Wii U this cristmas without spending the cash. Just wont have Mario.

Or a special kind of blindness to realise Wii U is now an overpriced new tablet console.

Surprised you call it overpriced when we don't even know the price yet. Plus most tablets are $500+ so It wll need to cost more than that for it to be an overpriced tablet.

The real point though is many already have Ipads or Android tablets. And many will ave Windows 8. People will use them anyway. 

But you can also use them with 360 to use wit games that devs do it for or movies or music etc. Wii U as to be bought to get what is already out. You cant save money and use a tablet with the Wii now. Wii U seems like a bit of a stretch if its 300GBP for example, when Smartglass does more. 

Maybe, but I think a lot of the stuff that is being developed for Wii U will be ported to the 360 using the Smart Glass tech. But the other problem is developers will need to program the integration to work on all of those other platforms (iOS, Android, Windows8) and for each hardware. Just look at the Android platform. How when a game is first released it will not work on about 1/2 of the phones out there and the developer needs to keep doing updates to add each devise that it won't work on, since each manufaturer likes to tweek for the Android platform to be a little different on their device.

Unless MS sets it up so the smartglass can just stream content from the 360 to the phones/tablets. I'd like to hear SuperChunks thoughts....

WiiBox3 said:
selnor said:
WiiBox3 said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:

Maybe, but I think a lot of the stuff that is being developed for Wii U will be ported to the 360 using the Smart Glass tech. But the other problem is developers will need to program the integration to work on all of those other platforms (iOS, Android, Windows8) and for each hardware. Just look at the Android platform. How when a game is first released it will not work on about 1/2 of the phones out there and the developer needs to keep doing updates to add each devise that it won't work on, since each manufaturer likes to tweek for the Android platform to be a little different on their device.

Unless MS sets it up so the smartglass can just stream content from the 360 to the phones/tablets. I'd like to hear SuperChunks thoughts....

Yes its done via stream. There is a smartglass app coming. for phones to.

I agree, but not so much.
While a decent lunch it will have medicore sells for sure with out a megaton, im not sure nsmbu will move sales that much, will depend on price. Yet calling it wii2 is hard to tell, looks to have more third party this time and there's still a lot of time to announce games beyond window launch. if the 3ds changed its way so can the wiiu. Anyway things can go either way.

selnor said:
WiiBox3 said:
selnor said:
WiiBox3 said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:

Yes its done via stream. There is a smartglass app coming. for phones to.

Don't get me wrong. I do think Smartglass is the way of the future. But I'm just wondering how long until it is integrated into games in a meaningful way.