By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Wii needs some big games like GTA. Otherwise gamers will wait till PS3 and 360 drop there prices. Not every genre is supported that well on Wii.

Around the Network

By what you're saying, a game like VF5 should have been ported to the Wii considering that it's the most popular fighting game in Japan and the Wii is the most popular home system in Japan. Assassin's Creed should have been ported to the Wii as should GTAIV.

From Capcom: The Wii gets RE4: UC, the PS3 and 360 get RE5 and DMC4

From Square: The Wii gets FF: Crystal Chronicles, the PS3 gets FFXIII

From Konami: The Wii gets Elebits, the PS3 gets MGS4

From Ubisoft: The Wii gets Prince Of Persia: Rival Swords(a remake of a game that everyone has already bought), the PS3 and 360 get Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six: Vegas, And GRAW 2

From Rockstar: The Wii gets Manhunt 2, the PS3 and 360 gets GTAIV

I could go on and on, but I think you see where this is going. The PS3 and 360 will have the bigger titles regardless of the Wii's install base because they simply aren't possible with the latter.

That's not the main question, I think.  You're talking about announced titles with devs working on them months from now.

The big question is: Given the popularity of the Wii in Japan, what will (for example) Konami's main dev team will do after MGS4? Will they invest a lot of money making a new high definition IP or will they try something different and new on the Wii, with a much larger userbase and a new controller that makes everyone interested at least in doing something for it, besides reducing the investment?

Lord N said:

You say this all the time, and you continue to neglect other factors.

The Wii will get more support than previous Nintendo consoles because of higher sales, but third-parties are not just going to ignore the PS3 and the 360. The Wii will have exclusives that are specifically designed for it, but it most likely won't see big name, proven franchises. Notice how all of PS3 exclusives that have gone multi-platform have gone to the 360 and not the Wii. The Wii will never see those titles because of its weaker hardware and lack of a decent online service.

By what you're saying, a game like VF5 should have been ported to the Wii considering that it's the most popular fighting game in Japan and the Wii is the most popular home system in Japan. Assassin's Creed should have been ported to the Wii as should GTAIV.

From Capcom: The Wii gets RE4: UC, the PS3 and 360 get RE5 and DMC4

From Ubisoft: The Wii gets Prince Of Persia: Rival Swords(a remake of a game that everyone has already bought), the PS3 and 360 get Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six: Vegas, And GRAW 2 

I could go on and on, but I think you see where this is going. The PS3 and 360 will have the bigger titles regardless of the Wii's install base because they simply aren't possible with the latter.

But how many of those PS3 and XBox 360 games have been announced since E3 2006?

The fact is that (since the Wii and PS3 were released) the Wii has been getting a very steady stream of new game announcements, while the PS3 and XBox 360 mostly get ports from eachother or the PC announced. Certainly, up to this point in time the Wii has not dominated with third party support but (practically) every third party pubisher in the world has claimed in interviews (or in their financial statements) that they plan to devote more support to the Wii and DS in the comming year because of their popularity.

Regardless of whether you understand it or not, you can tell what a publisher will do by looking at the potential return on investment; this is basically true of all public companies. A platform which has dramatically lower development costs, and a dramatically larger userbase will represent a much better return on investment. Does this mean that developers will stop producing games for the PS3 or XBox 360? No, but they will have a much smaller library than the Wii (by a wide margin).

Lord N said:
HappySqurriel said:

They won't stop making games for the PS3 but the PS3 would have (dramatically) reduced support as compared to the PS2.

Consider that by January 1st 2008 it is plausable the Wii could sell 18 Million to 20 Million consoles while the PS3 could be sitting at 6 Million to 8 Million consoles sold. These higher sales will mean that publishers will project that it is possible to sell 2 to 3 times as many units on the Wii with development costs being potentially 1/2 to 1/4 that of the PS3 meaning that their potential return on investment is 4 to 12 times as large on the Wii as it is on the PS3; you don't need much business training to know what platform is going to be more popular to develop for.

Certainly the PS3 will continue to get support, but the vast majority of games will be multiplatform games released on the XBox 360, PC and PS3.

You say this all the time, and you continue to neglect other factors.

The Wii will get more support than previous Nintendo consoles because of higher sales, but third-parties are not just going to ignore the PS3 and the 360. The Wii will have exclusives that are specifically designed for it, but it most likely won't see big name, proven franchises. Notice how all of PS3 exclusives that have gone multi-platform have gone to the 360 and not the Wii. The Wii will never see those titles because of its weaker hardware and lack of a decent online service.

From Capcom: The Wii gets RE4: UC, the PS3 and 360 get RE5 and DMC4

So all you want is sequels and rehashes?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Lord N said:

From Capcom: The Wii gets RE4: UC, the PS3 and 360 get RE5 and DMC4

So all you want is sequels and rehashes?

To be fair, sequels are better than remakes of the same games (a la RE4 and PoP).

There is a point to this, that established third-party franchises are putting their big titles on 360 and PS3.  But I would rather see new IP or games that are actually meaningfully different because of what the Wii brings to the table than those games.  Plus, Wii owners aren't as dependent on third-parties to carry the weight:

From Nintendo: Mario Galaxy, Zelda: TP, Super Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros. Brawl

From Retro: Metroid Prime 3

Around the Network

How many 360 or PS3 exclusives have been announced in the past couple months, compared to the number of Wii exclusives?

And the biggest Sony/MS games last gen were not really big games prior to that.  These are mostly known anyway, they've been worked on for over a year already and aren't just going to pick up and move to the Wii halfway through the dev process once it's doing well.  It's the new games and the new IP's that take off this gen that'll be interesting to see - what will be this gen's GTA or Halo?  Gears of War seems to be one.

ssj12 said:

Its only good for parties

I said if your friend throws parties and has a Wii then dont bUy it since its fun watching people play single-player games. Remember multiplayer started because people learned to share the controller.

it's only an opinion based on nothing...

you didn't catch new way of nintendo in making games for all...

they are still single player

but not like in 90's japan way of little nerd playing asocial jrpgs... 

a game like wii sport or brain training involve all your people...they share an experience...

also online game is made to make friends play.

there is a little community that grow aside the game.

nintendo didn't go down way of MMO...(one alone among others alone)

another asocial way of playing...

multiplay for nintendo is an experience to share.

you can find this concept in miyamoto speach at gdc...

so

speaking like :" It's only good for parties"

simply this don't tell all the truth!!!!

taking nintendo difference so banal really can't explain ds and wii dominance.

Within 5 years Wii is the winner. Within 10 years PS3 is the winner.

Wii is now up to 13%

Been going up for the last 4 days straight. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Remember the Eye Toy, that was a fad, so is the Wiii. I am not denying that the Wii is doing well I just think that people are going to realise that it gets boring. As time goes on, the gap between Wii and 360, then the PS3, is just going to get bigger and bigger. (P.S. are Wii graphics any better than GoW 2). As well as this, more people are going to buy HDTVs so are going to want to get something to use on their shiny new TV, that will be a PS3/360. At the moment there is a clear trend; Wii and PS2 games (I read an article about this somewhere, but can't remember). This is because the Wii does not have enough power to compete with the 360/PS3 so these games are being made for the Wii especially. However, since the Wii is not very powerful at all, they are put on the PS2 aswell because of the massive fanbase. This really shows that the Wii cannot keep up as it not getting the fully fledged titles. As Lord N said, the PS3/360 has the proper games, the worse ones are going to the Wii. I beleive the best game on Wii is Zelda. However, I have heard reports that it is actually better on the gamecube. This is an example where the Wiimote is not really as good. for example, lets take FF XII, this game is amzing, and it would not work on the Wii. In fact, I doubt a turn based RPG could work at all. If you say that a RPG will work properly on the Wii, then I wonder whether many people will be bothered to stand up for 60+ hourse to complete it. Take a different example, and FPS. If someone is so desperate to be able to point the gun at a screen, then you can buy a lightgun for it. This is one of the ways in which the other consoles have much more to offer in the broader spectrum and why the Wii will suffer for just having party games, that lack depth.

Sorry for rambling on and probably making no sense at all. 

add me