By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
z64dan said:
Nintendo has gotten out of the whole 5-year console war thing. They will release a system whenever they want to, however they want to. They have proven that they can consistently lower their price point, and then release an improved system at the same price point (DS/DS Lite). Nintendo has proven they can be 100% backwards compatable with any game ever released on their systems. They could theoretically release a Wii2 with a hard drive capabilities and PS3-like graphics in 3 years, while still being 100% backwards compatable with Wii and GC games. Think Nintendo DS. It could still play GBA games, but you could also play DS games! Nintendo knows the consumers want added value to their older purchases. Now I don't have to throw away my GC games, I can still play them! Nintendo would be able to release a Wii2 in 3 years and still let us use the normal Wii controllers, and it could also add other innovative features, while still being 100% backwards compatible. Nintendo is no longer running on Microsofts and Sonys schedule. They make their own rules now.
Beautifully said and an excellent point. While the other two console manufacturers have been slowly backing out of their initial stances of "of course we are backward-compatible with the last-gen console" (Xbox360, PS3, I'm looking at you), only Nintendo has actually pulled this off - and without even having to resort to empty promises that were never fulfilled, or having to hype it in the first place.

While Sony and Microsoft are playing hardball,  it really is Nintendo who has created a completely different ballgame - one that seems to appeal much more to consumers as a whole.

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

The Wii is a fad. I think the Wii will sell crazy this year, and becuase of that I think it's sales will continue good for another 2 years, and during that time the PS3 will start to overtake the Wii.

:D 

Wii is getting games support, so no

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

windbane said:
HappySqurriel said:

Suppose for a moment that the Wii is a fad ...

After 6 months of dominating the PS3 and XBox 360 in sales we have started to see a dramatic shift of development resources towards the Wii; after another 6 months (including amazing holiday sales) every major publisher in the world will focus their development on the Wii. By the time the "fad" begins to fade the Wii will have 2 to 4 times as many exclusive games released in a given timeframe than either the PS3 or XBox 360; this (of course) will result in it having 2 to 4 times as many good/great exclusive games released for it in any given timeframe. These games will result in the Wii selling better than the PS3 and XBox 360 because it is a better gaming system.

The thing that never seems to be understood by PS3 fans is that gaming system momentium doesn't change quickly. Once one platform has aquired the majority of exclusive third party support the console war is over ...

Yes, of course, everyone will stop making PS3 games...The 360 and PS3 will be just fine.  

They'll be like the GCN

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I can't believe that some of you guys are knocking on the Wii for SELLING TOO FAST?! What kind of knock is that?

"meh meh meh, its selling too fast so it must be a fad meh meh meh"

Sometimes Sony supporters crack me up. Even if Wii slows down and PS3 speeds up in sales 2 years from now, Sony would have to outsell Wii by a factor of like 2:1 for a long time in order to just even up the user base. I personally don't see that happening.

I'm sure that within 3 years, it will be possible to see a $99 Wii, and at that point, it will literally be an impulse buy. And if PS3 doesn't catch up 4 years into the console cycle, its already time to start talking next generation again! I'm sure all the companies are already planning on it. I think Microsoft will try to be out the door first again with its Xbox361, upping the ante and pressuring everyone else to release their next gen stuff too.

kwaad is funny....I'm funnier though, i've come up with a good allegory for this console war, ps3 is laying down after beeing knocked out by wii in the first round, 360 still going strong, but would in the long run loose because of technical knockout.

Around the Network
That Guy said:

I can't believe that some of you guys are knocking on the Wii for SELLING TOO FAST?! What kind of knock is that?

"meh meh meh, its selling too fast so it must be a fad meh meh meh"

Sometimes Sony supporters crack me up. Even if Wii slows down and PS3 speeds up in sales 2 years from now, Sony would have to outsell Wii by a factor of like 2:1 for a long time in order to just even up the user base. I personally don't see that happening.

I'm sure that within 3 years, it will be possible to see a $99 Wii, and at that point, it will literally be an impulse buy. And if PS3 doesn't catch up 4 years into the console cycle, its already time to start talking next generation again! I'm sure all the companies are already planning on it. I think Microsoft will try to be out the door first again with its Xbox361, upping the ante and pressuring everyone else to release their next gen stuff too.

The fad argument is merely the cries of those fanboys who dislike the Wii, it has no actual basis in reality, mostly its due to the fears that the Blue Ocean strategy of Nintendo's will somehow destroy gaming as they know it, its essentially elitism, they like that gaming is a niche media and want to keep it that way, while Nintendo realizes that it cannot remain that way.

Is that the whole available stock in USA show here? lol

HappySqurriel said:

They won't stop making games for the PS3 but the PS3 would have (dramatically) reduced support as compared to the PS2.

Consider that by January 1st 2008 it is plausable the Wii could sell 18 Million to 20 Million consoles while the PS3 could be sitting at 6 Million to 8 Million consoles sold. These higher sales will mean that publishers will project that it is possible to sell 2 to 3 times as many units on the Wii with development costs being potentially 1/2 to 1/4 that of the PS3 meaning that their potential return on investment is 4 to 12 times as large on the Wii as it is on the PS3; you don't need much business training to know what platform is going to be more popular to develop for.

Certainly the PS3 will continue to get support, but the vast majority of games will be multiplatform games released on the XBox 360, PC and PS3.

You say this all the time, and you continue to neglect other factors.

The Wii will get more support than previous Nintendo consoles because of higher sales, but third-parties are not just going to ignore the PS3 and the 360. The Wii will have exclusives that are specifically designed for it, but it most likely won't see big name, proven franchises. Notice how all of PS3 exclusives that have gone multi-platform have gone to the 360 and not the Wii. The Wii will never see those titles because of its weaker hardware and lack of a decent online service.

By what you're saying, a game like VF5 should have been ported to the Wii considering that it's the most popular fighting game in Japan and the Wii is the most popular home system in Japan. Assassin's Creed should have been ported to the Wii as should GTAIV.

From Capcom: The Wii gets RE4: UC, the PS3 and 360 get RE5 and DMC4

From Square: The Wii gets FF: Crystal Chronicles, the PS3 gets FFXIII

From Konami: The Wii gets Elebits, the PS3 gets MGS4

From Ubisoft: The Wii gets Prince Of Persia: Rival Swords(a remake of a game that everyone has already bought), the PS3 and 360 get Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six: Vegas, And GRAW 2 

From Rockstar: The Wii gets Manhunt 2, the PS3 and 360 gets GTAIV

I could go on and on, but I think you see where this is going. The PS3 and 360 will have the bigger titles regardless of the Wii's install base because they simply aren't possible with the latter.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Lord N said:
HappySqurriel said:

They won't stop making games for the PS3 but the PS3 would have (dramatically) reduced support as compared to the PS2.

Consider that by January 1st 2008 it is plausable the Wii could sell 18 Million to 20 Million consoles while the PS3 could be sitting at 6 Million to 8 Million consoles sold. These higher sales will mean that publishers will project that it is possible to sell 2 to 3 times as many units on the Wii with development costs being potentially 1/2 to 1/4 that of the PS3 meaning that their potential return on investment is 4 to 12 times as large on the Wii as it is on the PS3; you don't need much business training to know what platform is going to be more popular to develop for.

Certainly the PS3 will continue to get support, but the vast majority of games will be multiplatform games released on the XBox 360, PC and PS3.

You say this all the time, and you continue to neglect other factors.

The Wii will get more support than previous Nintendo consoles because of higher sales, but third-parties are not just going to ignore the PS3 and the 360. The Wii will have exclusives that are specifically designed for it, but it most likely won't see big name, proven franchises. Notice how all of PS3 exclusives that have gone multi-platform have gone to the 360 and not the Wii. The Wii will never see those titles because of its weaker hardware and lack of a decent online service.

By what you're saying, a game like VF5 should have been ported to the Wii considering that it's the most popular fighting game in Japan and the Wii is the most popular home system in Japan. Assassin's Creed should have been ported to the Wii as should GTAIV.

From Capcom: The Wii gets RE4: UC, the PS3 and 360 get RE5 and DMC4

From Square: The Wii gets FF: Crystal Chronicles, the PS3 gets FFXIII

From Konami: The Wii gets Elebits, the PS3 gets MGS4

From Ubisoft: The Wii gets Prince Of Persia: Rival Swords(a remake of a game that everyone has already bought), the PS3 and 360 get Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six: Vegas, And GRAW 2

From Rockstar: The Wii gets Manhunt 2, the PS3 and 360 gets GTAIV

I could go on and on, but I think you see where this is going. The PS3 and 360 will have the bigger titles regardless of the Wii's install base because they simply aren't possible with the latter.

From Sega : The Wii gets: Everything.

Edit: Ofcourse, you know which game i mean with this =) 

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

From Ubisoft: Red Steel, Rayman, Brothers In Arms. Capcom: Treasure Island But anyway it isn't the big name Nintendo should head for, they need new franshices, and look at it Gears of War sold a lot of xbox360 and that was something new

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!