By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: The Xbox 720(?) will sell more than the PS4 and the Wii U combined

Anyway, refutations:

1. Nintendo's first party support has proven to be the most powerful sales force in the industry; of the 6 major franchises this generation (selling 15m+ a title), only one of them is not Nintendo published.

2. I don't think graphical perception of PS4 vs PS3 is a relevant point, the Wii had far less graphical power and sold even better. No one bought a PS3 over Xbox 360 on graphics.

3. Smartphones are successful because they're better than the older models of phone. Xbox 360-2 won't benefit from having features available on cell phones because it has an inferior interface.

4. An Internet browser was not a main selling point on any console. Not even a minor selling point.

5. Free online service was not the main selling point of the PS3, it was the Sony brand recognition.

6. You say "most likely launch at a lower price" but with no evidence to support your claim.

7. Sony is struggling, but Nintendo had one bad year, and is predicted to recover by the end of this year; plus they have a lot of available assets. So financially, Nintendo needs decades of similar bad years to drain funds. Unlikely that either Nintendo or Sony will skimp on marketing budgets due to financial situations.

8. Motion controls aren't a gimmick, they're an interface capability required for entire genres; Just Dance 3 released 7 months ago is soon to hit 10 million on Wii - an example of a gimmick would be achievements. The Wii U has this interface option and more with the Wii U powered portable monitor. Nintendo has this fanbase firmly, Kinect games don't sell unless bundled.

9. The Xbox brand relies more heavily on franchises cloning the previous iteration (Halo, Call of Duty, Gears of War) than the Super Mario franchise (which actually diversifies); so this speculative point is more damaging against Xbox 360-2 than either of the other two consoles.

You were wrong on all points.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

ps4 will sell more than xbox 720 :)

Fumanchu said:
Pesmerga7551 said:
ironmanDX said:
Pesmerga7551 said:
Icy-Zone said:
I have a feeling Sony will be number 1 next generation. I would say Sony beat microsoft this video game generation because they are currently juggling 3 pieces of hardware, PS3, PSP, and PS Vita. I was one that switched from Xbox because I felt like I was being hustled for online play and I'm sure others will follow suit, sooner or later. Nintendo, I feel, is releasing the WiiU a little too early. I'm interested to see how well they do.

Sony won this generation and its sales will reflect shorly. The 360 hasn't been outselling the PS3 really ever. Year after year, the PS3 sells more units. With mistakes corrected, their is no chance that the 720 will sell more than both combined. None. Zero. Zip. The PS4 however is much more likely to sell more units than the 720 next generation. Between the next-gen HD consoles, I think the PS4 and 720 split will be 60-40 in favor of Sony's PlayStation 4 (minimum).

You haven't really said why they will win and don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they won't but they haven't learnt from mistakes. If you don't believe me, go look how the Vita is doing.

No. The vita goes for a whole different market. Someone like me for instance isn't in this market. I don't own a Vista, nor a PSP, nor any other handheld console. You have to understand who each piece of hardware is targeted towards. You can't compare and say that Sony didn't learn from their mistake. What mistake really? Coming out later than the 360? Cause it isn't sales, it won each year in sales to that of the 360 with being a year behind and will overtake the 360 later this year in sales. So again, what should they have learned from? Not many people seem to understand that if the 360 launched at the same time, they would be behind by 4-5 times the number the PS3 is down. PSP had issues that the PSV has, so seems like consoles and handhelds are on different footing.

Wat! Releasing later than the 360 isn't a mistake, but if they didn't they would be in a considerably better position?

That's it I'm done, goodbye world. 

I know right?

Coming out later than the 360 wasn't what I was talking about, how could it be. The ps2 obviusly came out before the original xbox and have no handheld so were'd you imagine that from, there was no mistake to learn from? The price of the handheld was. With smartphones and tablets coming out I can't justify spending $400 AUD for a handheld that barely does anything compared to said tablets and smartphones. You say the Vita and ps3 are different markets yet half the ads about the vita I saw were about the continous play feature.... from the ps3.... Why would sony spend money on those ads if your statement were true?? Just because you're not interested in a Vita doesn't mean other ps3 users share the same view.

"Not many people seem to understand that if the 360 launched at the same time, they would be behind by 4-5 times the number the PS3 is down."

Sony changed their tactics because they released last, you think M$ wouldn't have?

I also forgot you know all Jesus... Sorry........... Was this frm alternate univers number 1378248324632 was it? Yeah, thought so......

ironmanDX said:
withdreday said:
ironmanDX said:
withdreday said:
spaceguy said:
ironmanDX said:
Icy-Zone said:
ironmanDX said:
Icy-Zone said:
 I would say Sony beat microsoft this video game generation because they are currently juggling 3 pieces of hardware, PS3, PSP, and PS Vita. I was one that switched from Xbox because I felt like I was being hustled for online play and I'm sure others will follow suit, sooner or later. Nintendo, I feel, is releasing the WiiU a little too early. I'm interested to see how well they do.

You're not serious....... Are you? Sony won because they released more consoles............................................................................................................................................................................................

WiiU is releasing too early? Yeah, because it had a negative effect on the 360 and the original Wii consoles sales coming out before the ps3 and how it hurt the ds's sales releasing before the psp..... Do you hear yourself?

You're not seeing the big picture here... Microsoft released their console a year ahead of Sony's. On top of that the 360 had a the RROD defect that FORCED many consumers to buying replacement consoles. With that said, I'm willing to bet that the PS3 has a larger install base, currently, than the X360. And since we're talking about each company's gaming divisions, you must take into consideration that Sony was supporting other hardware during and after the launch of the PS3, such as the PS2 and PSP (both of which sold in the millions). I'm pretty sure they're still supporting those two other pieces of hardware and now they have the Vita. Microsoft, on the other hand, focused exclusively on the 360 and dropped support for the original Xbox very quickly (it basically vanished). Sony is still a behemoth in the gaming department, despite the PS3 having a slow start and not being Sony's sole focus, it's still being the highest selling console lately, and is receiving a lot of support in terms of game development, which is extremely important. I'm also willing to bet that Sony's fanbase is more concrete and less likely to shift over to Microsoft primarily because the PlayStation Network doesn't demand monthly payments. Most Live users claim that they continue to pay for the service because either they've made friends on Live, and/or the ability of using cross-game chat. PSN users will still get to play with the same friends and on top of that cross-game chat will be included for free (as in the VITA). Again, look at the big picture.

I'm not seeing the big picture? You're not even agreeing with yourself.

"Nintendo, I feel, is releasing the WiiU a little too early"

You say the WiiU is releasing to early then go on to say that one of the reasons 360 is ahead of the ps3 is beacuse it released a year early....You contradict yourself. How can you say its an advantage for one company and not another?

You say gaming divisions, divisions is right. You think everyone working on the ps3 is working on the Vita? No. Sony isn't that stupid. M$ is a bigger company than Sony so if your using focus on a single product as an argument, sony relies more on its gaming division than Microsoft does, you can tell because you're probably using a M$ os right now.

"Most Live users claim that they continue to pay for the service because either they've made friends on Live, and/or the ability of using cross-game chat."

Where is the link? I use Xbox live and though I did have friends on it, that wasn't the reason I joined. This must be your alt account or something.

Also I think RROD pushed a lot of people over to PS3. This worked in Sony's favor and they where still able to recover from it. This was hugh everywhere. There where ten threads a week about RROD. Not only that it was all over the tv and when you walked into the game store they where talking about it. SH-t I was getting sick of hiring about it. You would think that it burnt 1,000 house's down and killed people in there sleep. How was this a good thing for MS again?

How many people didn't even buy a xbox 360 because of RROD, A lot.

But alot of people bought replacement consoles because of RROD. I know guys on their 3rd and 4th Xboxes, and each of them bought the slim.

A lot of people when for the cheaper system, with at the time, more games despite the fact it may not stay running more than 4 months, max. And let's admit: the first 2 1/2 years of the PS3 were rough. Some people even sold their BC PS3's for another 360.

Looking back, that was dumb.

It effected both companys though.Do you really think that everyone who got rrod bought another xbox instead of just repairing it or buying a ps3?

I'm not saying nobody did but Ylod was a big thing too and i'm not ranting on about that, though not as big, 2 out of the 3 mates who had launch ps3's that I know of got it and they bought new ps3's. The RRoD excuse is just that. An Excuse. It hindered M$ more than anything and damaged thier reputation. You're still using it as an excuse now and RRoD has been errelavant for years now! That shows how much reputation M$ would have lost and in turn, possible consumers.

YLOD was only like 10% of PS3s and RRoD was wipespread. MS said at one point every system was at risk for faliure. And RRod is far from irrelavent as it was one of the worst faliures in electronics history. Had Ps3 not been 400-500 bucks, everyone would have jumped ship. MS got a bit lucky.

You know that for a fact do you? "MS said at one point every system was at risk for faliure . You didn't really provide a link or anything....

"And RRod is far from irrelavent as it was one of the worst faliures in electronics history." Is my point. You think that wouldn't of hurt sales? A massive international company going public about their own products problem? Everyone would have been fine buying a new one? Yeah, common sense.... It makes none.

"You know that for a fact do you? "MS said at one point every system was at risk for faliure . You didn't really provide a link or anything....". Here's a link right here

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tech-news/verdict-all-116-million-units-of-xbox-360-faulty/806

"'And RRod is far from irrelavent as it was one of the worst faliures in electronics history. Is my point. You think that wouldn't of hurt sales? A massive international company going public about their own products problem? Everyone would have been fine buying a new one? Yeah, common sense.... It makes none."

But it happened though. The 360 still continues to outsell the PS3 in the US, so it didn't scare people away too much.

binary solo said:
Pesmerga7551 said:
Icy-Zone said:
I have a feeling Sony will be number 1 next generation. I would say Sony beat microsoft this video game generation because they are currently juggling 3 pieces of hardware, PS3, PSP, and PS Vita. I was one that switched from Xbox because I felt like I was being hustled for online play and I'm sure others will follow suit, sooner or later. Nintendo, I feel, is releasing the WiiU a little too early. I'm interested to see how well they do.

Sony won this generation and its sales will reflect shorly. The 360 hasn't been outselling the PS3 really ever. Year after year, the PS3 sells more units. With mistakes corrected, their is no chance that the 720 will sell more than both combined. None. Zero. Zip. The PS4 however is much more likely to sell more units than the 720 next generation. Between the next-gen HD consoles, I think the PS4 and 720 split will be 60-40 in favor of Sony's PlayStation 4 (minimum).

While this is more likely than 720>Wii U + PS4, I think a 60:40 split is also unlikely. My feeling (in fact my hope) is that none of the consoles are dominant next gen. Stiff competition among consoles is the best thing, and that means fairly even sales across all 3. I hope all 3 consoles take between 28% and 35% market share on an approx. 250 million unit global market.

Fact is despite MS having lots of money brand Xbox is not a major source of profits for MS. This means there's not much business justification for throwing tons of money at promoting Xbox other than making it a sustainable brand in console gaming. It's worth investing a decent amount in promotion to keep Xbox growing but they aren't going to outspend Sony or Ninty by orders of magnitude. They might outspend $2:$1, but not $10:$1 it's simply not justifiable to do so, and to achieve 720>PS4+WiiU would require something like a $10:$1 spend I would think. There's no compelling reason for people to move from PS / Wii to Xbox, so that means MS having to spend lots of money convincing people to do so.

I do know people who bought a 360 who would rather have bought a PS3 if the PS3 was at a comparable price at launch, but the up front price difference at the time was compelling enough for them to buy against their preference. I don't know anyone who bought a PS3 but would rather have bought a 360. That tells me, anecdotally, that by and large people who've bought PS3 are hihgly likely to buy a PS4, but depending on timing and launch price there's a proportion of people who bought 360 who are likely to by PS4, or who are at least 50/50 on which way they will go.

I don't have a good sense of where early Wii buyers are going to go. Did many end up buying a 360 after a few years? I know a few people who bought a Wii then followed up with 360 (and Kinect), and I know one or two who went Wii --> PS3. Maybe there has been a bit of the old Michael Pachter "HD upgrading" going on in the last 2 years. It seems from sales patterns if there has been HD upgrading going on PS3 has benefited as much as 360; albeit 360 benefitting more in the Americas / UK and PS3 benefiting more almost everywhere else. I do think Nintendo has lost some market share potential for Wii U, but if 360 has created an advantage for MS over PS/Sony in the HD upgraders segment of the market I don't think it's a huge or global advantage.

See this is why it's anecdotal info, cause My cuz went form ps3 to xbox. Most of my friends did to and that was because most of us where on Xbox Live. I only knew Of a few that sold there PS3 as a result but the amount of play that xbox gets compared to there ps3 is shifted way in favor of there xbox. However I do know a person who went from xbox to ps3 cause of RROD and blu-ray. So I can say this is something different everywhere and hard to tell with out getting a really big poll from all over. So this can go in any direction. Plus I bet you $10,000 of Mitt Romney's money that they will charge for PSN next gen. They have lost way to much money. Playstation Plus I think was a way to ease it in. So many Sony fans have pride in the free online that they needed some sort of marketing or strategy to move from free to a pay system.

Around the Network
withdreday said:
ironmanDX said:
withdreday said:
ironmanDX said:
withdreday said:
spaceguy said:
ironmanDX said:
Icy-Zone said:
ironmanDX said:
Icy-Zone said:
 I would say Sony beat microsoft this video game generation because they are currently juggling 3 pieces of hardware, PS3, PSP, and PS Vita. I was one that switched from Xbox because I felt like I was being hustled for online play and I'm sure others will follow suit, sooner or later. Nintendo, I feel, is releasing the WiiU a little too early. I'm interested to see how well they do.

You're not serious....... Are you? Sony won because they released more consoles............................................................................................................................................................................................

WiiU is releasing too early? Yeah, because it had a negative effect on the 360 and the original Wii consoles sales coming out before the ps3 and how it hurt the ds's sales releasing before the psp..... Do you hear yourself?

You're not seeing the big picture here... Microsoft released their console a year ahead of Sony's. On top of that the 360 had a the RROD defect that FORCED many consumers to buying replacement consoles. With that said, I'm willing to bet that the PS3 has a larger install base, currently, than the X360. And since we're talking about each company's gaming divisions, you must take into consideration that Sony was supporting other hardware during and after the launch of the PS3, such as the PS2 and PSP (both of which sold in the millions). I'm pretty sure they're still supporting those two other pieces of hardware and now they have the Vita. Microsoft, on the other hand, focused exclusively on the 360 and dropped support for the original Xbox very quickly (it basically vanished). Sony is still a behemoth in the gaming department, despite the PS3 having a slow start and not being Sony's sole focus, it's still being the highest selling console lately, and is receiving a lot of support in terms of game development, which is extremely important. I'm also willing to bet that Sony's fanbase is more concrete and less likely to shift over to Microsoft primarily because the PlayStation Network doesn't demand monthly payments. Most Live users claim that they continue to pay for the service because either they've made friends on Live, and/or the ability of using cross-game chat. PSN users will still get to play with the same friends and on top of that cross-game chat will be included for free (as in the VITA). Again, look at the big picture.

I'm not seeing the big picture? You're not even agreeing with yourself.

"Nintendo, I feel, is releasing the WiiU a little too early"

You say the WiiU is releasing to early then go on to say that one of the reasons 360 is ahead of the ps3 is beacuse it released a year early....You contradict yourself. How can you say its an advantage for one company and not another?

You say gaming divisions, divisions is right. You think everyone working on the ps3 is working on the Vita? No. Sony isn't that stupid. M$ is a bigger company than Sony so if your using focus on a single product as an argument, sony relies more on its gaming division than Microsoft does, you can tell because you're probably using a M$ os right now.

"Most Live users claim that they continue to pay for the service because either they've made friends on Live, and/or the ability of using cross-game chat."

Where is the link? I use Xbox live and though I did have friends on it, that wasn't the reason I joined. This must be your alt account or something.

Also I think RROD pushed a lot of people over to PS3. This worked in Sony's favor and they where still able to recover from it. This was hugh everywhere. There where ten threads a week about RROD. Not only that it was all over the tv and when you walked into the game store they where talking about it. SH-t I was getting sick of hiring about it. You would think that it burnt 1,000 house's down and killed people in there sleep. How was this a good thing for MS again?

How many people didn't even buy a xbox 360 because of RROD, A lot.

But alot of people bought replacement consoles because of RROD. I know guys on their 3rd and 4th Xboxes, and each of them bought the slim.

A lot of people when for the cheaper system, with at the time, more games despite the fact it may not stay running more than 4 months, max. And let's admit: the first 2 1/2 years of the PS3 were rough. Some people even sold their BC PS3's for another 360.

Looking back, that was dumb.

It effected both companys though.Do you really think that everyone who got rrod bought another xbox instead of just repairing it or buying a ps3?

I'm not saying nobody did but Ylod was a big thing too and i'm not ranting on about that, though not as big, 2 out of the 3 mates who had launch ps3's that I know of got it and they bought new ps3's. The RRoD excuse is just that. An Excuse. It hindered M$ more than anything and damaged thier reputation. You're still using it as an excuse now and RRoD has been errelavant for years now! That shows how much reputation M$ would have lost and in turn, possible consumers.

YLOD was only like 10% of PS3s and RRoD was wipespread. MS said at one point every system was at risk for faliure. And RRod is far from irrelavent as it was one of the worst faliures in electronics history. Had Ps3 not been 400-500 bucks, everyone would have jumped ship. MS got a bit lucky.

You know that for a fact do you? "MS said at one point every system was at risk for faliure . You didn't really provide a link or anything....

"And RRod is far from irrelavent as it was one of the worst faliures in electronics history." Is my point. You think that wouldn't of hurt sales? A massive international company going public about their own products problem? Everyone would have been fine buying a new one? Yeah, common sense.... It makes none.

"You know that for a fact do you? "MS said at one point every system was at risk for faliure . You didn't really provide a link or anything....". Here's a link right here

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tech-news/verdict-all-116-million-units-of-xbox-360-faulty/806

"'And RRod is far from irrelavent as it was one of the worst faliures in electronics history. Is my point. You think that wouldn't of hurt sales? A massive international company going public about their own products problem? Everyone would have been fine buying a new one? Yeah, common sense.... It makes none."

But it happened though. The 360 still continues to outsell the PS3 in the US, so it didn't scare people away too much.

"But it happened though. The 360 still continues to outsell the PS3 in the US, so it didn't scare people away too much."

That wasn't even my point.... My point was how many more buyers would there have been if RRoD didn't happen? If you found that article so easy, why can't others? I can't believe people still think RRoD was in M$'s favour. It cost them money, sure some people bought new consoles but probably not enough to make up for consumers loss from the internet and word of mouth. If the new iPhone sucked everyone would know straight away, as if people wouldn't know about the 360.

Guys...cut the damn quoting trees!!!

on topic
i support everything Jumpin says on this matter
+ theres zero chance of the Xbox selling as much as the WiiU and PS4...

I don't think WiiU will convince Wii crowd to jump on WiiU like they jumped on the Wii. Those people are either tired of gaming, satisfied with their Wii, jumped on Kinect. Some of them will buy it but I don't see it being nowhere near as successfull as the Wii was.

PS4 we don't know their plan, all we know right now is that they'll have sequels to this gen's exclusives and more exclusives. But we still don't know how they'll attract casuals and how they'll be different from the other two. PS4 won't have the Blueray advantage, they'll likely charge to play online... well we don't know much about it.

Microsoft we already know a lot about how they plan on taking over the living room. Kinect is already making it's way and Kinect 2 will be more precise and allow different gameplay mechanics. People shouldn't understimate the power of tv/music/arcade games/apps/internet that is well structured on the dashboard. Being able to control everything with voice and gesture is a good selling point for Microsoft.

Casuals entered in the gaming market thanks to the Wii but it doesn't make them gamers and the reason they buy a 300+ console is different from gamers. Gamers buy a console to play games. Casuals will look at what the console has to offer, next gen Windows 8 will power conputers/tablets/phones and casuals might be interrested to buy the console that has windows 8 inside too. This is supposed to unify MS platforms together gaming wise using SmartGlass

Gamers will still like Halo/Forza/Gears/Fable/Wake/Arcade, the console will be very easy to program for yet again, supposed to be more powerfull than both PS4 and WiiU and will offer every gaming options available to other consoles

-> WiiU Tablet -> MS SmartGlass -> PS4 Vita
-> Wiimotes -> Kinect -> Move
-> --- -> Blue Ray -> Blue Ray
-> --- -> Fortalesa Glasses -> Sony 3D Glasses

Lazarus!!!!

Faust said:
Lazarus!!!!

was wondering why this was on the front page lol.

OT:  Yeah...how's that turning out.  Also the comment 2 comments ago has that annoying cliche that MS wants to take over the living room.  Sony was doing that way before MS was even in the console space with the first Playstation and then did more than MS to that effect with PS2 and then PS3.  I mean come on!  CD playback in 94, DVD playback in 2001, and Bluray playback in 2006 were way more awesome moves than slapping netlix on something like everything else has now.  OOOO they have a camera.  Bringing media playback for music and DVDs into the console itself was a REAL gamechanger that MS will have a difficult time replicating.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers