By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: The Xbox 720(?) will sell more than the PS4 and the Wii U combined

Sony wa loosing money because of the price of ps3 not because of the number of new IP.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network

No. Zero chance. I doubt that the 720 will even outsell the PS3 in the next gen, let alone 2 consoles. MS did everything right to steal Sony's gamers, but they still lost in the end even with that year head start. Sony knows their mistakes, and will not repeat them. Course the biggest is the time-frame. The cost isn't a big issue. New consoles cost a lot, it's accepted. PS4 and 720 will be about 400-500 bucks (USD). Early adopters don't care that much. Early adopters will buy it anyways for the most part no matter the price. $100 doesn't keep these people away, it keeps the average gamer away. Those people how ever don't buy a console anyways till the console enters it's "second generation" of its life-cycle anyways which is accompanied by a price-cut.

Release price is often looked at what the company can sell the console for, not what is worth to the consumer.

OP: You seem to be forgetting that the Xbox doesn't sell too hot in Japan which is a huge gaming region. They'll have to give that to Sony or Nintendo before they even launch.

If they can somehow capture the US market without another issue like rrod, and not scare hardcores to Sony, then they might do well. Europe and Japan are probably going PS4.

small44 said:

Sony wa loosing money because of the price of ps3 not because of the number of new IP.

That's actually somewhat debatable.

But I'd say that the biggest thing that held Sony back was the absence of their biggest-sellers early in its life. Gran Turismo took four years for the main release to happen (GT3 was released within a year of the launch of the PS2). Grand Theft Auto took two years (GTA III was released within a year of launch). Final Fantasy took three years (FFX was released within a year of launch). Metal Gear Solid took two years (MGS2 was released within a year of launch).

Indeed, a look at the top-selling titles on the PS3 shows a lot of games released in 2008 and later. The main exceptions were Modern Warfare, Assassin's Creed, and Uncharted. Two of these were multiplatform titles. By comparison, in the top ten PS2 titles, four were released in 2001, and of those, two were exclusives and the other two were exclusives temporarily (released on other platforms later, but not immediately). The only top-ten PS3 title released prior to 2008 was Modern Warfare, and as I said, that was multiplatform. Note that the top ten on PS2 outsold the top ten on PS3 - GTA III sold 13.1 million to GTA IV's 9.15 million (and then GTA:VC and GTA:SA both far outsold GTA III). GT3 sold 14.88 million to GT5's 7.64 million. MGS2 sold 6.05 million to MGS4's 5.64 million. Final Fantasy X sold 8.05 million to Final Fantasy XIII's 4.83 million.

The PS3 was overly expensive. And it definitely held back the system... but had they released top titles, in their top franchises, early, it might not have been as big of a problem, and they probably could have managed to break even relatively early.

It's worth also noting that the same problem plagued the Xbox 360. The only top-twenty game to be released in the first year or so was Gears of War. It wasn't until two years after launch that it got games like Halo 3 and Modern Warfare, and its big-sellers just weren't there for the first year.

Compare with Nintendo, which had Zelda, Mario platforming, Pokemon, and Mario Party all in the first year - four big-selling franchises/subfranchises. And that's not even factoring in Wii Sports and Wii Play (and Wii Fit, which released in 2007 in Japan). Let's all be honest, here - the Wii had the strongest first year of the three, in terms of major game releases. You can argue about quality of games, or third party support, but the fact is that only the Wii had its big-sellers there from the start. That's one of the big reasons why it sold so well early on (along with its innovation, etc).

The xbox360 has nearly the same game and it's more cheap then ps3 with a year late that oblige Sony  to sacrifice profitability to resist to xbox360.

Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network

That's a bold prediction. There is a decent chance MS could win next gen, but outselling both Nintendo and Sony? I'm just not sure about that.

People think MS will continue to just focus mainly on their top exclusives( Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza) going into next gen, and not much else. If people haven't noticed, MS have been creating and acquiring studios left and right in the last few year. Right now, MS has the most in-house 1st party developers and we will start to see what most of those studios are making within the next year or two. Lets say, half are creating Kinect games and mobile/arcade games, that still leaves 10 or so studios creating "core" IP's.

Funny to read it...We haven't informations about the Xbox 720 but you think it will be the first ? 

We must wait before to speak about this I think...

One thing is sure, Wii U will have one year of selling before PS4/720 release, with a very low cost (how much will be the Xbox 720 ? 500 dollars ? More ?)

Love Video Games : http://www.lightningamer.com

nah. everything 360 can do app wise is almost all available on PS3. but they don't have to pay for gold

Sony still pumps out exclusives

360 owners are angry that no good exclusives come

360 gold members are angry that PSN+ is a better bang for buck.

Kinect is a failure to the gaming world, with almost no games having a decent review score

Xbox is losing it's influence on the gaming world. right now, all it has is halo gears and the fact that multiplatform games are better on 360. as well as party chat.

PS4 will almost definitly have party chat, and since they are ditching cell processor multiplatform games will be about the same as the next box.
so its halo and gears vs every single PS3 exclusive.

I highly doubt it. I feel Microsoft got lucky this gen and Sony had a terrible launch. Hopefully people next gen (mostly in the US) start to realize Microsoft doesn't offer anything different than Playstation apart from halo and gears. If Sony has a good launch with PS4 I think things will be a lot better for them than at the start of this gen. Even if Microsoft beats either Sony or Nintendo though, I don't think it will be more than both of the combined.

If Microsoft can't be a leader with a one year before it's major competitor and with the number of 3rd party serie stolen from Sony i don't think Microsoft can ever be the leader.

Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

3DS - 80m