By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: The Xbox 720(?) will sell more than the PS4 and the Wii U combined

Sony will make more and more new IP and third party will not make exclusive games for any compagny so sony will win.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
small44 said:
Sony will make more and more new IP and third party will not make exclusive games for any compagny so sony will win.

I don't know about that. Sony's 1st party games haven't been selling as much as they would like. Uncharted has been doing well, but they keep losing money on games like Resistance. I think it's more likely that Sony will consolidate and create less 1st party games like Microsoft. I'm not even sure if the majority of people buying consoles even look at the exclusive as a deciding factor any more. The Wii did so well because soccer moms and grandparents thought bowling looked fun. Now Kinect is selling to those same people because kicking an invisible ball looks fun to them. Hardcore gamers will always look at the exclusives and choose between Halo and Killzone, but I think we are now the minority. It's the casuals that Sony will want to sway.

It's the same thing for Microsoft they have Halo 4 and Gear of War who are mega seller sony has Gran Turismo and Uncharted

Microsoft has Forza and Fable who sold relatively well sony has LBP,God of War

And about risky game we can mention Heavy Rain and Alan Wake before the two game was released the majority expect Alan wake will outsell Heavy Rain but it was the oposite Heavy rain 2 time  more then Alan Wake.

Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

small44 said:

It's the same thing for Microsoft they have Halo 4 and Gear of War who are mega seller sony has Gran Turismo and Uncharted

And about risky game we can mention Heavy Rain and Alan Wake before the two game was released the majority expect Alan wake will outsell Heavy Rain but it was the oposite Heavy rain 2 time  more then Alan Wake.

The Resistance and Socom games all tanked, but there are countless others too. Sony keeps buying up developers, spending millions on publishing exclusives and then they tank. You mentioned just a few, but even a rep from Sony stated they need to slow down on 1st party exclusives.

This generation was Sony's to lose. They lost it, Nintendo won and Microsoft is a real threat now. The era of Sony owning the console space has ended. Nintendo may live over in Nintendo land, but the part of the market that Sony dominated for two generations has split and it's not going to be mended any time soon. Microsoft would have to screw up big to lose the momentum they have garnered. All that mind-share that Sony lost this gen will be very difficult to get back.

In my opinion Sony needs to do three things to be profitable next gen.

1. Produce only a few high quality exclusives per year, like MS.

2. Use cheap off the shelf parts for their console, like Nintendo.

3. Abandon the handheld market.

If they do that they will be able to make back the money they lost this generation.

man-bear-pig said:

I think the Xbox 720 will sell more than the PS4 and the Wii U combined. The reasons for this prediction are numerous...

1.) The Wii U's design is difficult for devs and so it will recieve little 3rd party support in the short run, and even less 3rd party support in the long run. Due to this lack of 3rd party support, sales will be low, and will continue to be low. This viscious circle of lack of 3rd party support and subsequent lower sales will cause the Wii U to have significantly lower sales than its predecessor.

2.) The PS4 will not have the same percieved (by the general public) graphical advantage that it had over the 360 this gen, as they will release closely to each other (and therefore have similar specs). Also, if Sony postpone the release of the PS4 in order to get a graphical advantage over the 720 then this will be hugely detrimental to sales as it will give time for the 720 to establish itself in the market, so no matter which strategy they choose, they can't have the same benefit that they had in the previous gen.

3.) Tablets and smartphones are the future, and this is because consumers are looking for as much of their entertainment requirements as possible packed into one device. The Xbox 360 is currently building up a large entertainment package with apps, music, games, movies etc. and im sure they will continue this strategy into the next gen.

4.) One of the main selling points of the PS3 was that it had internet browsing capabilities, and in the next gen both the 720 and the PS4 will come with internet browsers, but the 720's will be superior if the new IE from microsoft is all it's cracked up to be.

5.) The main selling point of the PS3 was that you didn't have to pay for online gaming like you did with the 360. Next gen though, I suspect that Sony will introduce an online fee, as they cannot repeat the same mistakes they did with the PS3 and sustain $10bn losses. This will further shift the market in support of the 720.

6.) The Xbox 720 will more likely launch at lower price point than the PS4, and with all the advantages the 720 will have over the PS4, consumers will likely choose to purchase the 720.

7.) As companies, both Nintendo and Sony are struggling financially and so wont have the same budgetary capabilities as Microsoft have in terms of marketing.

8.) The Wii U lacks the same gimmick that the Wii had during it's launch period. When the Wii was released the controls were new and exciting and many people purchased Wii's to experience this innovation. However, the Wii U is launching with tablet technology, which is already established in the market, and so the Wii U will not benefit for the "curiosity" sales which the Wii had.

9.) I think people will begin to get tired of the constant stream of Mario games being released, and I think the series will experience a significant decline in sales. This will cause the Wii U to lose one of its major selling points.

Good predictions and are quite plausable. I have a problem with one thing though. (Of course :P) The statement, "Tablets and smartphones are the future" contradicts

"When the Wii was released the controls were new and exciting and many people purchased Wii's to experience this innovation. However, the Wii U is launching with tablet technology, which is already established in the market, and so the Wii U will not benefit for the "curiosity" sales which the Wii had"

You're saying tablets are the future for M$ but not for Nintendo? The curiosity will still be there, although probably not as strong.

Around the Network

I don't think so. The WiiU has the first console advantage (you can see what that did for the 3DS and 360), and we know nothing about the other consoles. Both of those could use a tablet controller also! And the WiiU seems to be getting 3rd party support, and DQX in Japan automatically gives it a 1-UP over the competition.

I think we'll see (after 5 years launch-aligned):

WiiU-85mil
PS4-78mil
720-63mil

I see the 720 being over-expensive and late, so won't pick up sales easily.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Resistance and Sold not that well but they are fan who will buy a console for this games and we can't know if this game are profitable or not ,when a person buy a console they generaly look at the whole library of games.

3rd party don't make much exclusive anymore so MIcrosoft shoukd do like Sony buying gaming compagny to make more exclusive yes Halo  and Gear of war will sold many console but this 2 games only can make a console a succes just like Nintendo how can we explain the  failure of Gamecube despite having Mario?

Losing one generation dosn't mean they won't ever return to domination.

Why abondon handheld the psp was a succes and make much money ? About PSV we don't know it still to early to make a judgement.

Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

3DS - 80m

kain_kusanagi said:
small44 said:

The Resistance and Socom games all tanked, but there are countless others too. Sony keeps buying up developers, spending millions on publishing exclusives and then they tank. You mentioned just a few, but even a rep from Sony stated they need to slow down on 1st party exclusives.

This generation was Sony's to lose. They lost it, Nintendo won and Microsoft is a real threat now. The era of Sony owning the console space has ended. Nintendo may live over in Nintendo land, but the part of the market that Sony dominated for two generations has split and it's not going to be mended any time soon. Microsoft would have to screw up big to lose the momentum they have garnered. All that mind-share that Sony lost this gen will be very difficult to get back.

In my opinion Sony needs to do three things to be profitable next gen.

1. Produce only a few high quality exclusives per year, like MS.

2. Use cheap off the shelf parts for their console, like Nintendo.

3. Abandon the handheld market.

If they do that they will be able to make back the money they lost this generation.

lmao "the era Sony owning console space has ended" Just because Sony didnt do as good as last gen doesnt mean they will struggle in the next gen. By your logic Nintendos era would have ended long time ago and they shouldve been only active in the handheld market. If there is anything uncertain, then it is who's going to rule next gen.

1. What do you mean by "only a few high quality titles a year"? This year the only high quality title for 360 I can think of Halo 4. Last year GeoW3 and Forza 4. Thank god Sony releases games all year round.

2. They probably will like the Vita

3. Lolz, they should abandon the handheld market just becoz the first 6 month of Vita sales was not so good? The Vita is a cashcow for Sony, its making a profit for them. They come from the PSP wich sold almost as much as the Gameboy Advance, I just fail to see them leaving the handheld market.

Btw, wich games did tank? Resistance did not tank. The games sold really well except for part 3. Not every games has to sell 20 millions. I like the way Sony has little franchises, I rather have 10 games  that sell 1 million, then 1 game that sell 10 million. For me as a gamer it would mean I have 10 games to choose from.

Oh yeah? Wich games did tank then?

Obvisouly from a gamer's perspective the more games the better. But a company is supposed to make money for their shareholders. That's my point. If Sony wants to make a profit next gen they are going to have to be more like Microsoft. That's all.

Maybe in the USs but overall, not a chance, Msoft is dead in Japan
but i agree that SOnys era has ended, and pretty fast...