By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Devs: Next Xbox easiest to work with, Wii U "most challenging"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/01/the-next-generation-according-to-game-developers

The next generation of consoles starts in 2013, if all goes according to developers’ plans. In an anonymous questionnaire, multiple industry professionals told IGN that they plan to release games for the next Microsoft and Sony consoles before January 1, 2014.

Multiple developers also intend to launch software for an unannounced platform next year.

The end is nigh.

It all starts here.

To further signal the winding down of the current console generation, approximately 60% of respondents have no plans to release games for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or Nintendo Wii after 2013. Of course, this means some 40% intend to keep at current-gen releases after next year. To that point, an anonymous developer told IGN, “I would not be surprised if something atypical cannibalizes the market, maybe even the Xbox 360 itself.”

From a hardware perspective, nearly 80% of respondents said Microsoft’s next console is the easiest to work with, and the overwhelming majority suspect it will be the sales leader over the next five years.

This presents an interesting opportunity for the next Xbox: It could come out of the gate with an established online framework in the form of Xbox Live, of course, with the potential to launch with a strong software lineup from eager and capable creators. After the self-destructive launch of the PlayStation Vita, Sony may not be able to convince developers that their games will sell. Having an impressive opening must be on Microsoft’s mind more than ever, and having a console that's easy to work with could help.

The ease of use compared to other consoles is assuredly attractive, too. By comparison, 63% of developers who spoke to IGN said the Wii U would be the most challenging platform to develop for. One creator went as far as saying, “we won’t be working on Wii U due to these complexities,” while another lamented the difficulty of moving innovative games unique to Wii U to other platforms. This poses the question: Will Nintendo once again need to rely primarily on first-party games to propel platform success? At any rate, the Wii U’s 2012 release window gives it a distinct advantage: time.

If the next generation of Xbox and PlayStation really starts next year, Nintendo will have given developers such extensive time to work on Wii U titles prior to another platform’s release that they may adapt to and embrace the platform regardless of complexities.

Microsoft has said outright the next Xbox will not be at E3 2012. Sony said the same thing about the PlayStation 4. But with developers meeting about Durango, and Orbis rumors running rampant, we know the wheels are in motion. While we may not see hardware, or even learn the names of the inevitable next-gen consoles at E3, that's not to say Nintendo's push for 2012 will keep everyone else quiet about progress.

Hardware successors are on the minds of developers using them, so you can bet it's on the minds of Microsoft and Sony -- and with titles tentatively launching next year for new consoles, you can expect to learn more sooner than later.

This information is based on survey responses from 35 video game developers IGN trusts. Look for more information on next generation consoles at IGN soon.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Looks like Nintendo's latest attempt at appeasement has fallen flat again, at least out of the gate. What do you think? Are these 35 developers right, and the NeXtbox be the future?

Around the Network

Oh IGN, you and your surveys.

I'm an advocate for motion controls, Nintendo, and Kicking freaking Toad to the Moon!

3DS Friend Code - 0860-3269-1286

strange... last I read was that it was easy to develop for the Wii-U...

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Lol, sounds iffy tbh, but even if it's true, I thought the Wii U was supposed to release with a straightforward architecture?

Naum said:
strange... last I read was that it was easy to develop for the Wii-U...

I suspect this is more "we'd have to come up with new ideas for that controller" than "the system is hard to program." See, inter alia, Kojima's comment on why he ain't makin' shit for the system.

Around the Network

This sounds very different than what is being said by developers who have actually worked with the WiiU, albeit taking games from the current generation of consoles.

What has me more concerned are the expressions that it The developers don't want to deal with something that is different. In other words, some sound too lazy to have to deal with a second screen (or to be innovative).

I wish I knew more about these developers, such as the consoles they work on now, the type of games they make, and the regions in which they are located. That way, it could be determined if the sample has a bias that would make it less than revealing. From their sales prediction, it sounds like many are western companies which make open world and FPS games,

Of course, if the WiiU does well in sales, people will be forced to develop for it by its market position and install base -- especially if the other systems don't do wel. And if it tanks, they can forget about it.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Millenium said:
Lol, sounds iffy tbh, but even if it's true, I thought the Wii U was supposed to release with a straightforward architecture?

From what I understood from the article, the problem with Wii U development, is making the games unique to that platform. 

Well I after reading it I will speculate a couple of things that could make the NextBox easy to develop compared to the Wii U:

1) It will have its architecture really close to a PC.
2) It will have a traditional controller (without a touchscreen).

DarkTemplar said:
Well I after reading it I will speculate a couple of things that could make the NextBox easy to develop compared to the Wii U:

I'm pretty sure #1 applies to the Wii U as well though. I'd be surprised if the PS4 didn't take the same route too.

DarkTemplar said:

Microsoft will nearly always win out in terms of easy development because they have DirectX which all PC developers are already experienced with so when it comes to their consoles, it's all nice and simple. But yeah, I'm guessing close to PC architecture.