By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Resident Evil 5 - not on Wii.

Tagged games:

oniyide said:
superchunk said:
oniyide said:

Got a link?? How did the co-op play, since i would assume that would take up alot of the ram power, what about online?? same thing. I find it hard to believe that all they would have to do is downgrade it. Their are too many other varibles as well.

As for not buying it for PS3, normally i would say that its foolish not to buy a game for a system you own (since thats the whole point of having multi consoles) because its not coming to one you own, but honestly, it wasnt all that IMHO. I wish i never bought it.

This was years ago and I have no interest in searching for it.

I agree the online would have been downgraded however, COD does it just fine every iteration and RE5 is not any better than that.

I also had many other games on PS3 I'd rather play and have never heard anything great about RE5, so yeah it was easy to miss. Though I did almost get a used copy of the Gold edition.

having an online co-op that you can play the entire story mode in, versus a competitive FPS i would imagine would be more taxing.

Capcom didnt make a RE4 because they felt it would not have been worth it to do so. simple as that, no conspiracy, looking at the big picture how well would it have done?? Judging from most multiplat games it would have fared worse on Wii. How much people really would have bought a worst version of RE5?? NOw the question that should really be asked is how come Revelations, just wasnt a WIi game? That would have made a lot more sense than some watered down RE5. or are people not caring because its on a Ninty platform and thats all they really care about??

Faring worse on Wii as compared to PS360 is not the same as making profit just because it sold a million or so more units.

To me, COD proves beyond a doubt its fully capable to downgrade the HD game largely unchanged in terms of content (obviously visuals tech suffer) and still make a solid profit.

Capcom already had a solid control scheme they could have used, it was only the resources to downgrade. I think RE4 already proved they could of gotten a million sales at $50 price point and made a solid profit.

But, you're right they simply didn't think it was worth it. I think they were wrong.

Its the same with other 3rd party games. Had the games been on Wii, even downgraded visually, I wouldn't have purchased a PS3. I would have been fine. But, they largely felt the costs needed to flesh out the engine to down grade the games weren't going to be worth it and instead kept it simple with their PS360 approach.

Thankfully everything is pointing to next gen not being like that and I will hopefully be back to one console ownership.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
Gamerace said:
How about because after the public spanking Capcom got for downporting Dead Raising to Wii they decided to never go that route again?

Unless they managed to peek into the future, or they halted development on a near-finished product, I doubt Chop 'Til You Drop played any role in the decision.

Dead Rising Chop Till you Drop - Release Feb 19 '09 (Jp)

Resident Evil 5 - Release March 5 '09

RE5 must have started development prior to DR:CtYD - But if Capcom was considering a (later) RE5 Wii port, the critical and comercial devastation of DR:CtYD probably tanked the idea.  Conversely if DR:CtYD had been successful, RE5 most likely would have come over next (on the same RE4 engine no doubt).

superchunk said:
oniyide said:
superchunk said:
oniyide said:

Got a link?? How did the co-op play, since i would assume that would take up alot of the ram power, what about online?? same thing. I find it hard to believe that all they would have to do is downgrade it. Their are too many other varibles as well.

As for not buying it for PS3, normally i would say that its foolish not to buy a game for a system you own (since thats the whole point of having multi consoles) because its not coming to one you own, but honestly, it wasnt all that IMHO. I wish i never bought it.

This was years ago and I have no interest in searching for it.

I agree the online would have been downgraded however, COD does it just fine every iteration and RE5 is not any better than that.

I also had many other games on PS3 I'd rather play and have never heard anything great about RE5, so yeah it was easy to miss. Though I did almost get a used copy of the Gold edition.

having an online co-op that you can play the entire story mode in, versus a competitive FPS i would imagine would be more taxing.

Capcom didnt make a RE4 because they felt it would not have been worth it to do so. simple as that, no conspiracy, looking at the big picture how well would it have done?? Judging from most multiplat games it would have fared worse on Wii. How much people really would have bought a worst version of RE5?? NOw the question that should really be asked is how come Revelations, just wasnt a WIi game? That would have made a lot more sense than some watered down RE5. or are people not caring because its on a Ninty platform and thats all they really care about??

Faring worse on Wii as compared to PS360 is not the same as making profit just because it sold a million or so more units.

To me, COD proves beyond a doubt its fully capable to downgrade the HD game largely unchanged in terms of content (obviously visuals tech suffer) and still make a solid profit.

Capcom already had a solid control scheme they could have used, it was only the resources to downgrade. I think RE4 already proved they could of gotten a million sales at $50 price point and made a solid profit.

But, you're right they simply didn't think it was worth it. I think they were wrong.

Its the same with other 3rd party games. Had the games been on Wii, even downgraded visually, I wouldn't have purchased a PS3. I would have been fine. But, they largely felt the costs needed to flesh out the engine to down grade the games weren't going to be worth it and instead kept it simple with their PS360 approach.

Thankfully everything is pointing to next gen not being like that and I will hopefully be back to one console ownership.

You dont know how profitable a RE5 for Wii would have been, Capcom felt it wasnt otherwise they would have made it, they are the ones in the know so im going go with what they do/say for now.

RE4 didnt sell a million at 50 bucks, I doubt it even retailed for that much when it first came out on WIi, where are your prices coming from. I only ever saw it for 30 and that was before it became a million seller. Plus that was a quick port, cost little to produce, where talking about a game that they would have had to built from scratch. Unless you really believe all they had to do was downgrade, but thats what they did with Dead Rising and looked how well that turned out, and that is a much less taxing game than RE5

You say COD I say DR and i could probably name a few others, COD is not a good example, we're talking about a game that doesnt come anywhere close to pushing the HD consoles, and despite that, it STILL runs like crap on WIi, screen tearing pop in, lag. 

You honestly believe your GTAs, Red Deads, MEs, Just Causes, Skyrims could have run on Wii with simple downgrading and you would have been fine with crappy versions of those games?? More power to you, but you would have been in the minority

oniyide said:
superchunk said:

You dont know how profitable a RE5 for Wii would have been, Capcom felt it wasnt otherwise they would have made it, they are the ones in the know so im going go with what they do/say for now.

RE4 didnt sell a million at 50 bucks, I doubt it even retailed for that much when it first came out on WIi, where are your prices coming from. I only ever saw it for 30 and that was before it became a million seller. Plus that was a quick port, cost little to produce, where talking about a game that they would have had to built from scratch. Unless you really believe all they had to do was downgrade, but thats what they did with Dead Rising and looked how well that turned out, and that is a much less taxing game than RE5

You say COD I say DR and i could probably name a few others, COD is not a good example, we're talking about a game that doesnt come anywhere close to pushing the HD consoles, and despite that, it STILL runs like crap on WIi, screen tearing pop in, lag. 

You honestly believe your GTAs, Red Deads, MEs, Just Causes, Skyrims could have run on Wii with simple downgrading and you would have been fine with crappy versions of those games?? More power to you, but you would have been in the minority

oops didn't mean to imply RE at $50.... RE4 sold more than a million starting at $30. That line meant to say that RE4's popularity proves an RE5 at $50 could have sold a million.

The rest is just disagreement with no proof either way. I know I wouldn't have bought a PS3 had Wii had 3rd party support. Its simple as that. I would have been fine with COD type differences and i never said Wii versions would have sold on par with HD versions. But I'm sure they would have been profitable and I think far less people would have abandoned the Wii for an HD twin.

I'm assuming it's because they would have needed to alter the technical aspects of RE5, more than RE4.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
oniyide said:
superchunk said:

oops didn't mean to imply RE at $50.... RE4 sold more than a million starting at $30. That line meant to say that RE4's popularity proves an RE5 at $50 could have sold a million.

The rest is just disagreement with no proof either way. I know I wouldn't have bought a PS3 had Wii had 3rd party support. Its simple as that. I would have been fine with COD type differences and i never said Wii versions would have sold on par with HD versions. But I'm sure they would have been profitable and I think far less people would have abandoned the Wii for an HD twin.

im sorry im not seeing how a 30 dollar port proves a 50 dollar gimped version of a game could have sold a million. I doubt it would have done that well. Even if it did, would it have been any good?? IMHO, no.

Thats it though, most of these games wouldnt have COD differences. Not the ones that use alot of assets. Hell, no. I think it would not have made a difference, people arent dumb, they know what generally what system could do what, they didnt abandon the Wii, they just got another system so they could stop playing crappy versions or straight up missing games, not so much different than what you yourself did.

on a side note, how come everyone always uses the RE4 Wii port like some kind of proof? By that logic RE5 should have been on PS2, because that version of 4 is the best selling one and it wasnt sold at bargain basement price

Gamerace said:

Dead Rising Chop Till you Drop - Release Feb 19 '09 (Jp)

Resident Evil 5 - Release March 5 '09

RE5 must have started development prior to DR:CtYD - But if Capcom was considering a (later) RE5 Wii port, the critical and comercial devastation of DR:CtYD probably tanked the idea.  Conversely if DR:CtYD had been successful, RE5 most likely would have come over next (on the same RE4 engine no doubt).

The idea was firmly shot down long before either game came out, by about six months if I recall. Now, you can try to argue that Capcom was actually considering it and waiting until DR's sales came through before they began the long process of converting RE5 from the MT Framework engine to the RE4 engine. But this is Capcom. They announce RE ports and sequels before the game they're porting/sequelizing has even released.

Long story short, I'm extremely skeptical that one had anything to do with the other.

Roma said:
z101 said:
Roma said:
we will get it on WiiU as well as get RE6

good thing i never bought 5 on my 360

Good thing for sure. But you should never buy RE5, it is a terrible game and nowhere near the quality of RE4.

Well I’ve heard it isn’t that good but terrible? Really?

Hopefully we get lots of improvements on the WiiU version

It has insane graphics, amazing co-op (spilt screen, online)  huuuuuuge reply value, solid gameplay (altho it takes some time to get used too it), crappy story, irresponsive controls, TONS of different weapons. TONS of different co-op modes, uncountable amount of unlockables and it feels NOTHING like a RE game

Player1x3 said:
Roma said:
z101 said:
Roma said:
we will get it on WiiU as well as get RE6

good thing i never bought 5 on my 360

Good thing for sure. But you should never buy RE5, it is a terrible game and nowhere near the quality of RE4.

Well I’ve heard it isn’t that good but terrible? Really?

Hopefully we get lots of improvements on the WiiU version

It has insane graphics, amazing co-op (spilt screen, online)  huuuuuuge reply value, solid gameplay (altho it takes some time to get used too it), crappy story, irresponsive controls, TONS of different weapons. TONS of different co-op modes, uncountable amount of unlockables and it feels NOTHING like a RE game

So the game is good unless you expect it to be like other RE games then. I’m ok with that

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(