By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - So Mw3 hits 14M on 360 But series on decline?

You know I was someone who thought COD had finally hit its peak with MW3 and didn't think BO2 would beat it.

But honestly I don't know anymore, the COD franchise just refuses to shrink in any way and just keeps growing so I doubt BO2 will sell less than MW3.

It does raise the question though of where the ceiling is. Eventually the franchise will level out and stop growing I'm just curious how high exactly it can go.

Around the Network

most of it was just based on npd numbers, and I'm pretty sure at least according to npd, mw3 is now tracking behind black ops in the same time frame in America. Not sure about vgchartz since they count bundles, etc.

BenVTrigger said:
You know I was someone who thought COD had finally hit its peak with MW3 and didn't think BO2 would beat it.

But honestly I don't know anymore, the COD franchise just refuses to shrink in any way and just keeps growing so I doubt BO2 will sell less than MW3.

It does raise the question though of where the ceiling is. Eventually the franchise will level out and stop growing I'm just curious how high exactly it can go.

Yeah BO2 will most likely sell more than MW3. If there is a Wii U version then it definitely will.

BenVTrigger said:

I was wondering the same thing.

Argh_College said:

i´ve been hearing that serie is in decline but know i saw that this is the best selling Cod ever on Xbox...

So what am i missing?

That it is hoping and wishful thinking on the part of some who resent it doing so well.  Eventually Call of Duty is at risk of declining, particularly if the developers miss stuff.  As it is now, you likely are going to see Call of Duty fork off into two different franchises: Modern Warfare and Black Ops.  Call of Duty is a wrapper around both, but it will likely get to a place each will need to be evaluated differently, as different franchises.

Around the Network

Is it that gamers feel the series is on a decline from a originality perspective?

Then it is, but sales wise it has no problems.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Because it's vastly overtracked here.... Since launch month pretty much every month NPD has reported declined sales vs black ops (like the whole market has declined month after month) and situation is not that much different in Europe.

yeah i mean Cod is selling more and more year after year.

KillerMan said:

Because it's vastly overtracked here.... Since launch month pretty much every month NPD has reported declined sales vs black ops (like the whole market has declined month after month) and situation is not that much different in Europe.

no, it's not overtracked. it just broke all sales records of the entertainment industry in the he first days/weeks and if more people interested in something buy it  the first days, less will buy it after some months/years.

mw3 had $100 million higher revenue the first 5 days than the second most successful cod. and if the sales are lower now (which i don't doubt), doesn't change the fact that it sold so much more the first weeks that sales will be always before the older cod's lifetime.

BenVTrigger said:

Maybe every year COD is making more and more consumers who previously didn't have a console buy a console as well as the game?

So essentially its increasing the ceiling itself.