By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sales: Why did TP soar and SS flop?

Tagged games:

Fi

Around the Network

^ She is so helpful.

resaon 1 celshaded graphics

reason 2 people didnt like the predecessor

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Obviously the stuff that's already been mentioned (Wii on the decline & towards the end of its lifespan, SS needing a hardware add-on etc.) contributed to it, but just from colloquial evidence: I think people are getting a little tired of Zelda.

Myself, and a few of my old Nintendo-loving friends bought Twilight Princess at the time (and enjoyed it quite a bit), but I just don't really have any desire to play SS, same for them I assume. One of my friends who did play Skyward Sword told me that he "Enjoyed it but it wasn't really anything new".

I read a lot of stuff a while back about how Miyamoto wants Retro Studios to work on the new Zelda game. I think that's a really wise move. RS has, from what I've seen of their games, a knack of keeping things faithful to the series but making them feel fresh and new - and that's what Zelda needs most.

If I'm wrong and Skyward Sword is the Zelda revolution that all the reviews said it was, then just ignore this I guess :)

So far SS sales are ok but I believe that if I was released just after Wii Sports Resort it would have a better start.

Around the Network

Wiibox I never finished the campaign of BlackOps I was not impressed and put the game down after only about 20 minutes. I hated WaW with a passion, I had bought it without trying it first and ended up trading it in within a week because it was just so terrible. I experienced lag and certain hills couldn't be climbed up or over a log. It felt like invisible walls all over again. After WaW I decided never again to buy a CoD without playing it first. BlackOps was alright but I was not impressed enough to give it much more then 20 minutes, it wasn't the historically accurate old style CoD I loved back in the day nor was it the somewhat realistic modern day shooter of MW. Seriously the game was not a serious game it was like taking Hollywood and trying to make a game. Lacked substance!

BattleField3 admittedly could have had a better campaign. It had several issues but it was a far superior shooter in almost every way.

MW3 didn't even get more then five minutes of my time. I saw the campaign and was sickened so I played a fifteen minute or so multiplayer map. Realized this is nearly the exact same dang game I played years ago. Game play was stagnant and Activision reused tons of assets. MW3 belonged in the 39.99$ bargain bin launch day I really feel sorry for the developers who worked their asses off and were left with a product that wouldn't even make the top 3 shooters of the year. HomeFront and BF3 were twice the game MW3 was, I blame Activision not Infinity Ward.

Also the poser gamers are also to blame. The ones who only care about graphics, blood nudity and hardcore mature crap. These gamers are leading the industry into producing lower and lower quality garbage.

Talked with my manager at EBGames and later Play N' Trade to get their opinions on the subject. They both were unanimous real gamers are a dying breed. Today you don't get gamers who actually like games you get posers who want eye candy who want to play 5-20 minute sessions who really could care less about a quality campaign.

The Play N' Trade manager put it best. Today a gamer wants to buy Call of Duty so he can bring his friends over and pretend he's cool for a few hours. Half of the gamers buying games today even touch the single player campaign he said, because they aren't actually interested in a game. They are interested in constant explosions and beautiful cutting edge graphics. They are interested in having friends over and looking cool.

These are not gamers. They are posers I met a gamer a while back who didn't even know what Modern Warfare was. I was in the game store asked a customer "What did you think of ModernWarFare3'. "Modern Ware Fare?" , "Ya you know Call of Duty?" , "Dude I love Call of Duty" , "What did you think about Battlefield3" "..... Who makes Battlefield again is that a PC game I don't play PC games".

I nearly slapped the shit out of the guy. Its idiots like that they are destroying our industry. Why does a sub par game like CoD:MW3 outsell games like HomeFront/BF3. Why are amazing games like Rayman Origins dying while the next GTA will clean house?

There is something wrong with this picture!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:
Wiibox I never finished the campaign of BlackOps I was not impressed and put the game down after only about 20 minutes. I hated WaW with a passion, I had bought it without trying it first and ended up trading it in within a week because it was just so terrible. I experienced lag and certain hills couldn't be climbed up or over a log. It felt like invisible walls all over again. After WaW I decided never again to buy a CoD without playing it first. BlackOps was alright but I was not impressed enough to give it much more then 20 minutes, it wasn't the historically accurate old style CoD I loved back in the day nor was it the somewhat realistic modern day shooter of MW. Seriously the game was not a serious game it was like taking Hollywood and trying to make a game. Lacked substance!

BattleField3 admittedly could have had a better campaign. It had several issues but it was a far superior shooter in almost every way.

MW3 didn't even get more then five minutes of my time. I saw the campaign and was sickened so I played a fifteen minute or so multiplayer map. Realized this is nearly the exact same dang game I played years ago. Game play was stagnant and Activision reused tons of assets. MW3 belonged in the 39.99$ bargain bin launch day I really feel sorry for the developers who worked their asses off and were left with a product that wouldn't even make the top 3 shooters of the year. HomeFront and BF3 were twice the game MW3 was, I blame Activision not Infinity Ward.

Also the poser gamers are also to blame. The ones who only care about graphics, blood nudity and hardcore mature crap. These gamers are leading the industry into producing lower and lower quality garbage.

Talked with my manager at EBGames and later Play N' Trade to get their opinions on the subject. They both were unanimous real gamers are a dying breed. Today you don't get gamers who actually like games you get posers who want eye candy who want to play 5-20 minute sessions who really could care less about a quality campaign.

The Play N' Trade manager put it best. Today a gamer wants to buy Call of Duty so he can bring his friends over and pretend he's cool for a few hours. Half of the gamers buying games today even touch the single player campaign he said, because they aren't actually interested in a game. They are interested in constant explosions and beautiful cutting edge graphics. They are interested in having friends over and looking cool.

These are not gamers. They are posers I met a gamer a while back who didn't even know what Modern Warfare was. I was in the game store asked a customer "What did you think of ModernWarFare3'. "Modern Ware Fare?" , "Ya you know Call of Duty?" , "Dude I love Call of Duty" , "What did you think about Battlefield3" "..... Who makes Battlefield again is that a PC game I don't play PC games".

I nearly slapped the shit out of the guy. Its idiots like that they are destroying our industry. Why does a sub par game like CoD:MW3 outsell games like HomeFront/BF3. Why are amazing games like Rayman Origins dying while the next GTA will clean house?

There is something wrong with this picture!

"Liked", "+1"

lol my comment about five minutes was an exaggeration to show my displeasure with MW3. I did give it 15 or so minutes however long that multiplayer map took!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Twilight Princess had a realistic artstyle

It was the first major nintendo franchise to launch with the new wii

Skyward Sword is not realistic

Skyward Sword needs wii motion plus

Many gamers dont like motion control

There was a lot of advertisement for twilgiht princess.I still haven't seen one commercial for skyward sword here in Ireland

Plus skyward sword isn't really a flop.It just didn't sold as well as twilight princess,It still sold well

It's been released too early.

Skyward Sword would have sold much more if it had been a simultaneous Wii farewell/WiiU launch title, similar to Twilight Princess on GC/Wii.